It seems that I'm always getting unwanted strings ringing out when I play, or else I'll hit my fingers on strings that I shouldn't be. Is there any exercises/things to do to stop this?
Sending a dummy to my God.

Use your picking hand to mute the low strings and with your fretting hand say if you holding a long vibrato note ,use you middle and or ring fingers and with your first finger barre it slightly so the strings above are muted.
Either that or its the setting on your amp or your lead giving you unwanted noise
There aren't particular exercises that magically clean up your playing. Look at things that you can't play cleanly, and play them super slowly. Also, take a look at Freepower's video on muting (which is the video posted above).
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Specific exercises don't clean up your playing. You playing those exercises in a clean fashion does.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^ That, and isolate on just a small fragment from a lick that you are having trouble playing cleanly, and get in a lot of repetitions, and really work on your movements. Sometimes playing longer chunks, there are too many things to concentrate on to really focus on one thing and improve it.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
There aren't particular exercises that magically clean up your playing. Look at things that you can't play cleanly, and play them super slowly. Also, take a look at Freepower's video on muting (which is the video posted above).
+1