So I'm thinking of buying a second hand Gallien Krueger 700RB-II, the 2x10 combo. The guy is looking £350 which seems a bargain for an amp which was bought 2 years ago, rarely used and never been gigged apparently. It's not a make which I've really seen when in Ireland but it gets some good reviews on the internet.

I'm definitely going to go check it out, but do you guys have any advice about Gallien Krueger amps? Is there anything in particular I should look out for? How reliable are they? ...and is £350 a fair price if it's in decent condition?
i have the 1001rb-II head through a GK 4x10 SBX and a GK 1x15 RBH and i think it sounds excellent. Apparently the 1001 is a lot more transparent and colourless than the rest of the series, but i don't know much about that..

As for reliability, mine hasnt come across as hugely reliable, its currently getting foxed for what seem like major problems, but every production line will have its lemons
Quote by jimmy_neutron
i have the 1001rb-II head through a GK 4x10 SBX and a GK 1x15 RBH and i think it sounds excellent. Apparently the 1001 is a lot more transparent and colourless than the rest of the series, but i don't know much about that..

As for reliability, mine hasnt come across as hugely reliable, its currently getting foxed for what seem like major problems, but every production line will have its lemons

I've heard: its because to get the GK "growl" you need to push the amp near the limit of the wattage, and if your playing through the 1001rb-II its rare that you will ever even be close to the maximum loudness
Quote by ExurKun
I've heard: its because to get the GK "growl" you need to push the amp near the limit of the wattage, and if your playing through the 1001rb-II its rare that you will ever even be close to the maximum loudness

Actually it just has a weird reputation for being more sterile than its counterparts for one reason or another.

Anyways, GK stuff is solid and will serve you well.