Page 1 of 2
I've been looking at a ton of guitars lately and have seen a lot of potential buys. DO you guys have any suggestions on a guitar that can do all kinds of music? I'd like to play metal blues and other stuff without switching guitars. My budget is around 1000 bux (usd) try not to go over 1300.
THank you for your time.
Quote by grimms
Jackson USA
Ibanez
Dean

i wouldn't recommend jackson at all for his style..

like said above the ibanez S series.. or if you like schecter ..

the schecter c-1 classic. just make sure you don't get a guitar with emgs
Quote by melton100
May I suggest strat or tele? Very versatile instruments.

not for metal...
I'd say a nice ESP EC-1000 VSB (it comes with Duncans, JB/59 I think).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jinjan29
not for metal...

They are perfectly capable of playing metal. Maybe not super low tuned breetbreet metal but they can do metal, even with single coils.
Quote by melton100
They are perfectly capable of playing metal. Maybe not super low tuned breetbreet metal but they can do metal, even with single coils.

They're alright for classic metal, but when people say "metal" they usual mean the br00tal kind. I've tried to do that with a strat and never succeeded.
what about the jackson dominion (not the cheap one)? I heard it does everything.
I looked at ibanez, but idk. I alredy have one.
I dont like schecters very much. (just sold one)
THe strat is good, but the metal side is eh.
Any more suggestions?
Thanks
for the stuff i play, anyway, it's hard to beat a superstrat (whether by fender or another company e.g. ibanez, yamaha etc.), with either an HSH or HSS pickup layout and coil splits or parallel wiring for the buckers, for out-and-out versatility. you can get stratty, tele-ish and gibsony tones, not to mention superstrat tones for the 80s stuff. Ok, semi-hollow or hollowbodies are out, but you're not doing too badly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here are my suggestions
Ibanez RG1550M, RG1570, S5470, FR1620 (all Prestiges) or a Charvel Production Model.
What type of bridge do you want? floyd rose, or hardtail, or strat style? But just throwing out there the Washburn X50VPro is a pretty decent and versatile guitar.
i love my nashville power telecaster. throw a humbucking single size pickup into the bridge, and split it with the middle pickup on the 2nd position of the 5 way switch. then you'd have a strat sound, a twangy tele sound, bassy neck pickup sound, and a piezo system all in the same guitar. would be capable of anything from metal to acoustic cleans. and a 25.5" scale which would be better than a shorter scale for drop tunings. seems pretty versatile to me!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I'd go pretty much with what Dave_Mc suggested. My specific pick would be a SSS Strat with Seymour Duncan singlecoil-sized humbuckers; a Hot Rails in the bridge and Cool Rails in the middle and neck positions would be my picks. I'd use 250k pots for the volume and tone controls and add a mini toggle, slider switch or push-push/push-pull to switch all the pickups from series to parallel wiring. In fact I'd probably do two switches, one to change the neck and middle pickups and another to change the bridge. If you were feeling really adventuours you could wire in three switches (three push-push pots maybe?). Wire the 5-way switch up as normal. That way you could have any combination of humbucker and singlecoil-ish tones.

Or, expand it even further (this is actually something I'm planning for a future Warmoth guitar). Have one switch to change the neck pickup from series to split, another switch for the middle pickup to change from series to parallal and a switch for the bridge to change from series to parallel. I'd have the neck and middle wired to a concentric 250k pot and the bridge wired to a Fender TBX pot for tone and 250k pot for volume. Now you've got access to every combination of humbucker and singlecoil-ish tones in the bridge, humbucker and singlecoil-ish tones in the middle and humbucker and true singlecoil tones in the neck, plus the option of both classic and modern tones in the bridge to match it against however you had the neck and middle set up (or to use as a lead switch; putting the TBX tone pot to full works great to let a pickup cut through).
Hell, why not add in a couple of switches to throw pickups out of phase too?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Mikilangelop
what about the jackson dominion (not the cheap one)? I heard it does everything.
I looked at ibanez, but idk. I alredy have one.
I dont like schecters very much. (just sold one)
THe strat is good, but the metal side is eh.
Any more suggestions?
Thanks

Yes, Mark Morton designed the Dominion to be one of the most versatile guitars out there because he plays many styles when he's not touring with LOG, It has Dual JB's I believe or a JB/'59 combo, so the pick-ups are well rounded, dual humbuckers with coil splits, separate tone and volume control for each pick-up, chambered I believe it's a mahogany body? Neck Thru, TOM bridge, It all looks very promising tbh. It can blend into almost any genre. I would totally recomend it.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
PRS SE Custom 24 ($499) and a pickup swap ($275), then put the rest of your money into-
1. A better amp (what do you have now?)
2. Pedals
3. Save it

that's what I would do.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by MrFlibble
I'd go pretty much with what Dave_Mc suggested.

Quote by Crizzle
Yes, Mark Morton designed the Dominion to be one of the most versatile guitars out there because he plays many styles when he's not touring with LOG, It has Dual JB's I believe or a JB/'59 combo, so the pick-ups are well rounded, dual humbuckers with coil splits, separate tone and volume control for each pick-up, chambered I believe it's a mahogany body? Neck Thru, TOM bridge, It all looks very promising tbh. It can blend into almost any genre. I would totally recomend it.

i thought it had dual 59s? personally i'd still prefer a guitar with both singles and hums, coil splits get you part way there, but still generally aren't really a match for "true" single coils.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jinjan29
not for metal...

Most obviously, because Ritchie Blackmore and Yngwie Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert don't use guitars with single coils.

Everybody who thinks strats can't do metal are ****ing stupid and deserve to be shot in the head. It's all about your amp + pickups. If you have some like cheap humbucker and a marshall MG, you're not going to get a good tone no matter what you play.

TS, get an Ibanez 1500M from Rich at ibanezrules with the premium package. You won't regret the extra money.

Down the road you should probably do a pickup swap, but the ibanez pickups are pretty neutral tonewise, so you don't have to worry too much.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by MrFlibble
big giant wall o' text

Something tells me you like Brian May. This sounds like something someone would come up with after seeing his guitar and thinking "that's fantastic, but what if it had even MORE functions?". I'm in the same boat.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Quote by V.U.K
Everybody who thinks strats can't do metal are ****ing stupid and deserve to be shot in the head.

Well, I think that's a little harsh...

But, what Mr. Flibble suggested is a good idea.
Last edited by melton100 at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by The_Future_Soon
Something tells me you like Brian May. This sounds like something someone would come up with after seeing his guitar and thinking "that's fantastic, but what if it had even MORE functions?". I'm in the same boat.
Actually I can't stand Brian May and I think his guitar is an abomination.
(Nor can I stand 'Jimmy Page wiring' either, before anyone mentions that)

No offence meant, if you like him then that's fair enough. It's just ironic you came to that conclusion about me
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Actually I can't stand Brian May and I think his guitar is an abomination.
(Nor can I stand 'Jimmy Page wiring' either, before anyone mentions that)

No offence meant, if you like him then that's fair enough. It's just ironic you came to that conclusion about me

Hahaha. I'm a fan but I'm not one to get miffed over a difference in opinion. He's just the first person I think of when i think of guitars with all sorts of switches on them. I still quite like your wiring idea, but its almost obscenely complicated. I'd love to see it brought to life.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Telecasters are fantastic, Tele Thinlines are even better.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Nov 6, 2009,
Ibanez JS, imho.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
What amp?

my most versatile guitars are my schecter- H miniH tele with push pull pots.

and my strat modded with rails and stacked humbuckers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by sashki
Everyone will say Ibanez S series.

Or if you like big necks, try Schecter.

Actually I would say RG series but thats just me
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
for all you guys who asked; I have a mesa dual rec to work with. Does that change things a bunch?
not really, we're just glad you didn't say you had an MG. the recto is more aimed at brootz, but it's reasonably versatile. with a versatile guitar you should be able to get into the ballpark, but it just might not be completely authentic, you know? thought it's fairly hard to get completely authentic tones without having about 5 amps and 5 guitars, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
shoot with that budget, id get a nice clean tube amp to a/b to, and a guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
aye, that'd be worth considering, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jinjan29
not for metal...

Iron Maiden would like a word with you.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe / Elite

I'll sell you my Deluxe with Seymour Duncans for $800 CND
Schecter classic. Don't question me, just do it!
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by melton100
May I suggest strat or tele? Very versatile instruments.

Tele's are not versatile at all... Stock single coil ones anyways.

IMO most guitars can cover most genres, it all depends on your amp's capabilities and the pickups you're using (to a lesser extent). I've heard Telecasters with hot-rodded single coils pull off sick metal tones and I can make my Jackson (which has a jb/jazz pup set) sound like a SSS strat i the neck position using an EQ pedal and my amp's clean abilities.

Some guitars are more versatile than others, but it's really not that important...

I'd suggest any Schecter C1 with original passive Duncans (plus coil taps), that'd probs be up there with the best in terms of versatility.

Oh yeh, and the Washburn X50 Pro is a sweet deal of a guitar. If they sold them here I would so have one.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Nov 8, 2009,
Quote by James13v
Tele's are not versatile at all...

So, why have they been played in nearly every genre of music? Even with the single coils they have been heavily played in many, many styles of music.
Page 1 of 2