I'm asking my mother for some headphones for Christmas and I'm looking for some suggestions. My mom says she's willing to pay anywhere from $100-200 for the headphones (before anyone says that $100 is far too much for headphones just know that I'm a huge audiophile and love my music to sound amazing) also if it helps I listen to metal, techno and a lot of prog. and alt. rock. I've heard good things about "Beatz by Dre" headphones but those are far too expensive. So yeah Pit, if you know of any good headphones that would help out a lot.
Bose or Boss (I don't remember the spelling) are the best headphones I've ever tried, but Sennheisers are really great too. I'd suggest looking for the best one in your range.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Bose.
KatehMonster
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Dude, if you were a lesbian asking out another lesbian in a man forum we would be going crazy too.
Quote by zerosystem
just because you're a girl and you get more pussy than me doesn't give you the right to brag.
bose are amazing but expensive, i don't know about their headphones but i can say their stereo speakers are amazing and compact best investment i've ever made, failing that get some seinheisers
Bose are not worth it at all... I have compared many headphones and researched this extensively before I bought mine...

Get the Sony MDR-7506s. You will not regret it. If you regret getting these, I'll let you burn down my house*...

*Ok, maybe not burn it down, but you get the idea...
Audio Technica or Sennheizer and nothing else. Bose are above-average headphones sold at ridiculous prices.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Bose are worth the money. I have the in ears and I wouldn't buy anything else unless I lost or wrecked the ones I have now
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by wamguy89
Bose are not worth it at all... I have compared many headphones and researched this extensively before I bought mine...

Get the Sony MDR-7506s. You will not regret it. If you regret getting these, I'll let you burn down my house*...

*Ok, maybe not burn it down, but you get the idea...

I highly recommend Sony MDR-anything, you get quite a lot of bang for your buck with them. If your mom is willing to pay upwards of 200$ then definitely look into Grado headphones.

http://www.gradolabs.com/
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 202's and they sound sexy, and I'm pretty sure I got them for under $100. They've lasted me three years so far and counting.
I have the bose over-ear headphones and they are IMO the best. I've never tried the other SONY one's metioned above, but these BOSE cover everything. Whats also great about them, I asked the sales guy that I use it for my iPod's and my lil Marshall 50W amp. I told him about previous Sony headphones which made the bass overwhelming while playing guitar. Not these!!!
I got a pair of Shure SRH440, and they sound great with my electric drum kit and iPod. Give them a try if you can. Also, the Sonys mentioned above are good as well.
Quote by glm
I love you for saying that.

after I said "if the Governator could do it; so can Mr. Colbert"
Avoid Bose, trendy brand, average products.

You won't go wrong with a pair of Grado SR80i which are about a $100 or if you wish to spend a little more go for the Grado SR125i which are about $150.

I've gone through many a set of headphones over the years and have settled with SR325i's but they are out of your price range.

You'll get better sound with a pair of over ear headphones (cans!) but they can be a little noisy to others if you spend time on public transport etc etc. In that case in ear phones are a better bet. Take look at ones by Ultimate Ear, klipsch or Sure.

Do a search around the web for reviews and try a few pairs out in shops.

Spending more money doesn't always mean you'll like how they sound, and remember you'll need to burn them in for about 50-80 hours before they open up. To speed the process up just leave them connected to your MP3 player overnight for a couple of weeks at average listening volume.

Also I'd advise going through your music and re-rip it lossless or at worse 320kbs (if you use MP3 format) as you'll notice the quality more with better headphones.
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Last edited by CarbonToe at Nov 6, 2009,
Im enjoying my Etymotic ER6i earbuds. It took a while to get used to them but they sound almost as good as studio monitors. They probably cost about $100.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
200Bucks Headphones+Mp3 @192Kbps.....
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by CarbonToe
Avoid Bose, trendy brand, average products.

You won't go wrong with a pair of Grado SR80i which are about a $100 or if you wish to spend a little more go for the Grado SR125i which are about $150.

I've gone through many a set of headphones over the years and have settled with SR325i's but they are out of your price range.

You'll get better sound with a pair of over ear headphones (cans!) but they can be a little noisy to others if you spend time on public transport etc etc. In that case in ear phones are a better bet. Take look at ones by Ultimate Ear, klipsch or Sure.

Do a search around the web for reviews and try a few pairs out in shops.

Spending more money doesn't always mean you'll like how they sound, and remember you'll need to burn them in for about 50-80 hours before they open up. To speed the process up just leave them connected to your MP3 player overnight for a couple of weeks at average listening volume.

Also I'd advise going through your music and re-rip it lossless or at worse 320kbs (if you use MP3 format) as you'll notice the quality more with better headphones.

TS, do not listen to ANYONE in this thread except for this guy (and me, lol). This is the only decent recommendation I've seen in here.

I'd just like to add that in the audiophile world, Grados are considered the ultimate rock headphones. Bose is considered average but about 4 times more expensive than they're actually worth, Monster is crap except for the Turbines, and Skullcandy needs to be burned to the ground.

But I think I read that you like techno. In that case, Grados are open cans, therefore bass impact will be reduced. You might like a bit of extra impact, which means you could do better with closed cans. I highly recommend the Shure SRH840. They've gotten great reviews over at Head-Fi, and are right at the peak of your budget.
Skullcandies 0 y3a mang dats teh on1y wayy 2 g0!!

Dey r s0ooo0 kEwl!!!
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
Beatz are freaking amazing. They have no EQ whatsoever, so what you hear is what the producers made. Bose is good, but they're really overpriced. I have a pair, and they rock, but they cost too much for what you get.

Metal+good headphones usually=fail. Here's why. Metal is played really loudly, so the capturing of the audio is rarely that good quality. The recording process as a whole usually just sucks. Most audiophile metalheads actually use really cheap earbuds like some cheap gummies or sennheisers to mask that sound.
Honestly, I love Sennheiser CX300. I think they're the best thing God created for under $100. They're $20-$40 retail, and if you don't pick up a fake one, they are freaking amazing. They advertise as bass-driven, but the highs are impeccable. I prefer listening to most of my music out of the CX300 than out of my Bose headphones. Buy a couple pairs or something or just take the extra cash. Metal requires you not to use great headphones that do not cover up the crappiness.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Whatever you do, don't get Bose.

Sennheiser are always a great brand, I got a pair of HD485's for $60 and they are amazing, better than the Bose triports that were twice as much. With a range of $100-$200 I would consider getting a pair of high end headphones and an amp.

Take a look at the site head-fi.org, they can answer any question you have about headphones and can make better suggestions for you.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Last edited by clincher09 at Nov 7, 2009,
Quote by clincher09
Whatever you do, don't get Bose.

Sennheiser are always a great brand, I got a pair of HD485's for $60 and they are amazing, better than the Bose triports that were twice as much. With a range of $100-$200 I would consider getting a pair of high end headphones and an amp.

Take a look at the site head-fi.org, they can answer any question you have about headphones and can make better suggestions for you.

Head fi.

That's actually a pretty good name.

V I think those are the ones I tested in HMV. If so, those provide a damn good, powerful, yet brilliantly clear bass, middle, and treble.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Nov 7, 2009,
You MUST get Beatz by Dre, I don't care if they're too expensive

Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by apak
Beatz are freaking amazing. They have no EQ whatsoever, so what you hear is what the producers made. Bose is good, but they're really overpriced. I have a pair, and they rock, but they cost too much for what you get.

Metal+good headphones usually=fail. Here's why. Metal is played really loudly, so the capturing of the audio is rarely that good quality. The recording process as a whole usually just sucks. Most audiophile metalheads actually use really cheap earbuds like some cheap gummies or sennheisers to mask that sound.
Honestly, I love Sennheiser CX300. I think they're the best thing God created for under $100. They're $20-$40 retail, and if you don't pick up a fake one, they are freaking amazing. They advertise as bass-driven, but the highs are impeccable. I prefer listening to most of my music out of the CX300 than out of my Bose headphones. Buy a couple pairs or something or just take the extra cash. Metal requires you not to use great headphones that do not cover up the crappiness.

Huh what? I have a good pair of headphones and metal sounds fine through them.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Huh what? I have a good pair of headphones and metal sounds fine through them.

They do sound fine, but audiophiles generally don't use like $200 headphones because of sound quality. Too good and all the crap comes out. Good is really relative. By good I meant like Beatz or something expensive and good like that.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack