So I just tuned my floyd rose to drop C for the first time, after 45 minutes I finally was able to get all the strings tuned, but after noticed that the bottom of where the strings come out, the whammy bar part was pulled down almost all the way. Is that supposed to happen or did I do something wrong.
Perception is the Mother of deception

Does it look like 2, 3 or neither.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
It looks like three so I'm assuming its wrong. I tuned it the way I was taught to tune a floyd rose, so im not sure what i did wrong.
you need to get the bridge to be parallel to the body

EDIT: it's not that you tuned it wrong, just that whenever you change tunings on a floyd, the string-spring tension goes off balance, causing your bridge to go in a position like that. basically, the springs on the guitar pull the bridge up like it is now, and the strings pull it the other way, meaning when you loosen the strings like you do when you tune down, the strings aren't pulling as much tension, meaning the bridge gets pulled more by the springs.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Nov 5, 2009,
Are those the one in the middle or the ones directly under? EDIT : nvm, ok so I need to change these springs or is there any other solution to fix it?
Last edited by Jvig43 at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by Jvig43
It looks like three so I'm assuming its wrong. I tuned it the way I was taught to tune a floyd rose, so im not sure what i did wrong.

Basically, you loosened the tension of the strings, so you also will need to loosen the springs in the back in order for the bridge to parallel, so it will stay in tune.

Just tune the first first string to a C, then adjust the bridge til it's parallel with the body.

You're going to have to keep adjusting/tuning until that one string is parallel and that one string stays in tune. Then, repeat all that with the second string, until the bridge is parallel and those two strings stay in tune. Continue to adjust/tune one string at a time until the bridge is completely parallel, and the guitar stays in tune.

Quote by Jvig43
Are those the one in the middle or the ones directly under? EDIT : nvm, ok so I need to change these springs or is there any other solution to fix it?

Loosen, not change.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Ok, much appreciated guys. Was worried I screwed up on something.
Quote by Jvig43
So I just tuned my floyd rose to drop C for the first time

Ok, you know how when you tune a normal guitar down, you have to adjust the truss rod? Well, guess what? You have a floyd rose! You also have to adjust each individual bridge piece (move them backward after loosening them) & the claw (which holds the springs underneath). Also, depending on your current string guage, you might have get heavier strings. Finally, after all that, if it isn't fixed, you might wanna consider adding or removing springs. If you have 4 or 5 on, pop 1 or 2 off, see what that does.

Btw, it might be worth having a pro set it up properly the 1st time. Take it to your local guitar shop. Have them fix it, then tell you what they did.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ok, you know how when you tune a normal guitar down, you have to adjust the truss rod? Well, guess what? You have a floyd rose! You also have to adjust each individual bridge piece (move them backward after loosening them) & the claw (which holds the springs underneath). Also, depending on your current string guage, you might have get heavier strings. Finally, after all that, if it isn't fixed, you might wanna consider adding or removing springs. If you have 4 or 5 on, pop 1 or 2 off, see what that does.

Btw, it might be worth having a pro set it up properly the 1st time. Take it to your local guitar shop. Have them fix it, then tell you what they did.

No offense crazy, But If I were him I wouldn't any of this. Apart from adjusting the trem. The only reason you need to move each piece on the bridge is if you're adjusting the intonation, and you don't need to do that every time you change tunings. Also, don't take out (or add) springs unless you need too.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
hey, mine looks like number two, is that bad
is it supposed to look like 1
if so should i add 1 more spring on the guitar, i already have two