Hi, I have been writing songs for my band, and I need to start recording them so I dont forget how to play them. What would be the best way for me to do this? TAB books? Guitar software? Other?
You can get a cassette recorder for like ten bucks on ebay. Cheap and cheerful.
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
Quote by Draconis93
Hi, I have been writing songs for my band, and I need to start recording them so I dont forget how to play them. What would be the best way for me to do this? TAB books? Guitar software? Other?

You could just write them down?
I've been using Guitar Pro, however it does have it's limits. The main problem I find is trying to get the rhythms that I've played onto the page, as I'm not always aware when I'm playing a dotted 16th note or whatever. So my recommendation is to do that, or record it somehow. Even recording it in your phone is good enough, if it helps you remember.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
I've been using Guitar Pro, however it does have it's limits. The main problem I find is trying to get the rhythms that I've played onto the page, as I'm not always aware when I'm playing a dotted 16th note or whatever. So my recommendation is to do that, or record it somehow. Even recording it in your phone is good enough, if it helps you remember.

I hate to be rude, but that's your limit, not Guitar Pro's.

However, putting it into GP is great practice for notation.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

I may have worded that wrongly. I know me not knowing exactly what rhythms I'm playing isn't GP's fault, but everything possible that can be done on guitar isn't possible on Guitar Pro.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
record it on ur phone or use ur own notation.thats what i do
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot

Guitar Pro has limits. No double sharps or double flats. No polymeter. No repeats on one track without repeats on another track. No irrational time signatures. Can't use P for right hand fingering (GP calls it T ). No sforzando.
I agree with guitar pro. a lot of times I'll write a song and my band won't get around to learning it for months due to other songs having higher priority, and by then I'll have forgotten it. but then I can just pull up my GP file and i've got it again. it also helps you in giving you an idea of what things like harmonies will sound like and let you change things very easily. it's just a great tool to aid in song writing

you'll have to get used to notating rhythm of course, but after a while it becomes second nature.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Guitar Pro has limits. No double sharps or double flats. No polymeter. No repeats on one track without repeats on another track. No irrational time signatures. Can't use P for right hand fingering (GP calls it T ). No sforzando.

I don't recall saying that Guitar Pro didn't have limits.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I don't recall saying that Guitar Pro didn't have limits.

It sounded like you were implying that based on your response to what he said. I guess you weren't though...
I film most of my ideas on a video camera, that way I can hear the melody, rhythm, and tempo as well as see what the fingerings are.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea