Hello all. Yes I know, I'm a noob :P Well I've been playing guitar for about a year but I never took lessons but rather played by ear and tabs and taught to myself.. but I want to learn some theory.. so I gotta start from the beginning..

I see triads are the base of building a chord. Like they are the 3 notes a chord must have, am I right? So, for building a triad you got the tonic note which gives the name to it (let's say C), so the first note is a C, the 3rd would be an E (2 steps from the tonic) and the 5th (3 and a half steps away from the tonic) should be a G right?

Now, moving to the frets, following the C major scale, the E and G are on the same string, so I got to look around for another E or G right? Ok, is there a method for finding that E (3rd) or G (5th) other than counting frets? :/ Like with octaves or anything?

Please forgive my english, I'm from S. America. And also if I shouldnt be asking this here.. Thanks
memorize every note on every string, so that you know what fret is what note. also, it depends on the triad and inversion what notes you use
Quote by athlete1
memorize every note on every string, so that you know what fret is what note. also, it depends on the triad and inversion what notes you use

...a simpler way would be looking up the CAGED chord system- basically using 5 chord shapes to move around and play every chord...

Once you have the CAGED system understood, then you can start to look at where the roots, thirds and fifths are in each shape.

This is far more effective than just trying to memorise every note on the fretboard!

After learning CAGED, you should know where all the notes are from each triad and you can invent your own voicings.
Quote by chainsawguitar
...a simpler way would be looking up the CAGED chord system- basically using 5 chord shapes to move around and play every chord...

Once you have the CAGED system understood, then you can start to look at where the roots, thirds and fifths are in each shape.

This is far more effective than just trying to memorise every note on the fretboard!

After learning CAGED, you should know where all the notes are from each triad and you can invent your own voicings.

Ok and what's that caged thing? You mean learning the open chords C A G E and D? Or is it a speceifc method? Link me if so :P Thanks.
Learn the major scale. You shouldn't spend all your time memorizing notes. Instead, learn all the chord SHAPES. That way, you can use the shapes in any key.

As for CAGED, it is a strategy for breaking down the major scale into the open chord shapes (C-A-G-E-D) that are easier to remember and apply to any key.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Last edited by hockeyplayer168 at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Learn the major scale. You shouldn't spend all your time memorizing notes. Instead, learn all the chord SHAPES. That way, you can use the shapes in any key.

As for CAGED, it is a strategy for breaking down the major scale into the open chord shapes (C-A-G-E-D) that are easier to remember and apply to any key.

Ok will do. Do you have a guide to follow? Thank you.
Quote by Mannysz
Ok will do. Do you have a guide to follow? Thank you.

http://www.cagedguitarsystem.net/ is a good visual explanation. Just search the web for lessons, there's tons of them.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.