when i try to solo over someone else playing my licks always come out very generic. i just seem to go up and down the pentatonic scale, it always comes out the same and dosnt sound good. any advice to spice it up a bit, any scales or techniques that would be helpfull.

thanks
Quote by will4009
when i try to solo over someone else playing my licks always come out very generic. i just seem to go up and down the pentatonic scale, it always comes out the same and dosnt sound good. any advice to spice it up a bit, any scales or techniques that would be helpfull.

thanks

Ok heres some tips that helped alot.
- Backtracks, use them (solo in a key you know so can devellop your hear and your licks)
- Listen to your kind of music (try to take some licks,etc.)
- Try to create a lick in your head and play it on your guitar after
- Breathe while playing helps alot, well for me it does. Try to put yourself in a kind of meditation that will help you generate your creativity.

I hope I helped

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Quote by ArnaudJ
Ok heres some tips that helped alot.
- Backtracks, use them (solo in a key you know so can devellop your hear and your licks)
- Listen to your kind of music (try to take some licks,etc.)
- Try to create a lick in your head and play it on your guitar after
- Breathe while playing helps alot, well for me it does. Try to put yourself in a kind of meditation that will help you generate your creativity.

I hope I helped

some good advice, i will get some backing tracks. i think that will help me
Try playing in different positions, it's easy to go straight to position one and starting wailing away but you can create some cool licks in other positions. Include some extra notes from the natural minor if the song allows it. There are tonnes of blues backing tracks on youtube that are fun to jam along to
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
In addition to the things mentioned above, experiment with the notes you start and end your phrases on. Try starting licks on the root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, etc and see where it leads you. Also vary the note you end your licks on. You may have a habit of starting/ending on one or two notes. Mix it up.

Also, create pools of notes, say R-2-3-5, and mess around with different combinations of those notes, coming up with whatever you can. Then pick other notes and experiment more.

Write down some different rhythm patterns and try to incorporate them into your playing. If you have a tendency to play the same rhythms (straight 8th or 16th notes, for instance) your playing will start to sound bland. Play around with rhythm.

I also agree with the approach of singing a solo and figuring it out. You need to think in terms of sound to get you away from common fingerings that your hands lead you to.

Analyze as many of other people's solos as you can. Look at how they approach their leads for ideas.
You don't need any techniques or new scales, you just need to actually start thinking about what you want to play and also listening to what you do - at the moment you're just moving your fingers and hoping for the best.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jsepguitar
In addition to the things mentioned above, experiment with the notes you start and end your phrases on. Try starting licks on the root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, etc and see where it leads you. Also vary the note you end your licks on. You may have a habit of starting/ending on one or two notes. Mix it up.

Also, create pools of notes, say R-2-3-5, and mess around with different combinations of those notes, coming up with whatever you can. Then pick other notes and experiment more.

Write down some different rhythm patterns and try to incorporate them into your playing. If you have a tendency to play the same rhythms (straight 8th or 16th notes, for instance) your playing will start to sound bland. Play around with rhythm.

I also agree with the approach of singing a solo and figuring it out. You need to think in terms of sound to get you away from common fingerings that your hands lead you to.

Analyze as many of other people's solos as you can. Look at how they approach their leads for ideas.

thanks, have been tring to incorperate some rhythm patterns and that has mixed it up a bit. and also thinking of a lick in my head and then trying to put it on to the strings is also improving what i am doing.
One thing I do is take licks I know and play them in a different key/different part of the neck.
If you say you use the Penatonic scale to much, try learning some more scales, or throw in accidentals and chromatics notes. I like to end a lot of licks like this. (After playing in the Am penatonic scale)

G] 5h6h7b9r7~ p5~/

Sorry if thats confusing, but do a chromatic legato thing, then bend, rebned and pull back off. Try find little things like that you think sound good and throw them in as often as possible.
It is helpful for blues to pick 2 or 3 notes, and experement, see what you come up with !

Some simple bends, hammer ons, pull offs, etc. go nuts with what you feel sounds cool.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.