I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, but for the past 9 months I seem to have gotten no better, despite the hours of practice. Is this some psychological "Ha ha, you suck, you can't do it" thing or the fact that my hands arent able to cope with anymore at this present time?

Also I keep getting pains in my hands whilst playing, which really does put me off. Any suggestions?
u just hit a plateu.play a different genre or something completely different to the style u usually play
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I had this problem too, I'm just now fixing it. Second on the Freepower video suggestion, that's what helped me. Particularly the "correct practice" and "finger independence" videos, the posture video might be good to look at too. My problem was using strength from my wrist to fret instead of my fingers. Just take everything slow for a while and really pay attention to what your entire body is doing while you play.

But like I said, take it slow. Can't stress that enough. Even if you feel like you're completely relearning guitar (that's how it was for me). It'll be a rough week or so, but after you start picking up speed with perfect technique you can tell everything's going to be a lot easier. Hang in there!
Its also a lot easier to see your progress as a beginner - when you get better the improvements are more subtle, and you become more aware of your playing - which means you are more aware of your mistakes and imperfections too.

If was you I'd start recording myself regularly - even if you can't see any change from day to day you should be able to look back at recordings a couple of months and see the difference.
I had the same problem. I was stuck in a rut for over a year. Then I found some really good exercises and I've been progressing ever since I started using them.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Harticus
I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, but for the past 9 months I seem to have gotten no better, despite the hours of practice. Is this some psychological "Ha ha, you suck, you can't do it" thing or the fact that my hands arent able to cope with anymore at this present time?

Also I keep getting pains in my hands whilst playing, which really does put me off. Any suggestions?

What songs are you playing?
Maybe you need to learn harder stuff.

Also try and learn as much theory as possible. Also JAM!. Try and find as many musicians as possible and just Jam, you will learn lots.
-no sig-
Quote by Al4Project
What songs are you playing?
Maybe you need to learn harder stuff.

Also try and learn as much theory as possible. Also JAM!. Try and find as many musicians as possible and just Jam, you will learn lots.

Mostly Metallica, Iron Maiden, Testament kinda stuff. Suppose it hardly helps having a very narrow view on music like...
Quote by Harticus
Mostly Metallica, Iron Maiden, Testament kinda stuff. Suppose it hardly helps having a very narrow view on music like...

Learn blues.......... It will really help you progress on a lot of techniques used in metal. Eg: String bends, vibrato, slides etc.
Pretty much everyone gets stuck in a rut at some point. If you are experiencing any pain at all then you are doing something wrong, so definately look into technique there and that will help you in the longrun.

Also, I agree with learning harder songs. Pick a song that you love but is out of your ability range. learn to play it at half speed, memorize it and make sure your technique is perfect at the slow speed. Then speed it up until you are playing at regular speed. This is the method everyone will tell you.