I'm 16 and have been playing guitar for three and a half years. My mom suggested that I should play at this place for open mike night. The only problem is that I'm just a guitarist and IMO just hearing someone play guitar alone wouldn't be that entertaining. Atleast for my playing because I'm definitely as good as I want to be. My question is am I wrong assuming that? I would be far better off with a singer but there isn't anybody I know of who would be up for it. Also I'm not the most sociable person either. And what could I expect playing at a open mike night? The only time I played in front of people was for a small rehersal for maybe 20 people.
generally open mic nights there are a few people there that may be looking for new members,
if good enough you can get a call back to perform for pay

But i would advice trying to find a singer, waddle down to the music store and ask if there are any singing students. you are bound to ifnd some one in your age group who is a singer without music
Any recommendations? As in acoustic instrumentals? I don't really have one specific genre that I limit myself to so I'm pretty much open to anything. Just not anything to difficult as I'm not that great playing guitar.
I think that you are thinking in the right direction. But, go to the open mic night and see if there are any singers there that you can hook up with.

I'm a shy person too, but when you do music, you have to at least be able to act. That includes when you're on stage... yes, you're a musician, but you're the shy actor who has been given the part of Keith Richards. Can you act?

If you can, act the part of a networking guru.... go talk to people. You'll find that most musicians are a shy but friendly lot, but not necessarily all that smart. In almost 25 years of playing in bands, I don't think I have *ever* been laughed at and brushed off for going up and talking to another musician about music. We're always happy to chat.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Totally depends on the type of 'open mic' night it is. We get lone guitarists up all the time at our weekly jam and they tend to just choose a song, then we play the song (and often provide vocals) while they play the guitar parts.
Sometimes we'll even pair together lone drummers, guitarists and bassists to form a sort of improptu band, provided they're all a suitable skill level and like the same styles.

If it's a decent, full band jam night, you should be able to get the host band to back you (and perhaps provide vocals) while you play the main guitar parts. If it's a smaller one, try and find someone who'll sing the songs you want to play, and use an acoustic guitar.
Good point.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by d1sturbed4eva
Thanks for the input so far guys. It's just a acoustic open mic at a small coffee house.

Cool. In that case, might be worth looking round for a singer, percussionist or indeed anything else that'll make your music more palatable to a wider audience.
Thanks, sounds good. I'm going to spread the word around that I need a singer.

About how many songs should I have ready for open mic?