I currently have a 9watt amp that has a 6.5 inch speaker. It came with the guitar pack I got. It has no effects, just the standard knobs. I looking for an upgrade and i am looking into better solidstate amps such as the peavy vyper 15, etc. The thing is, i play in my room so i don't want a huge amp, i'm more focused on improving the sound quality and tone.

I just want to know if it is worth it to upgrade from my current to an amp such as the peavy vyepr or a line 6. I want to keep it to 15 maybe 20 watts.

If anyone has suggestions for other amps, i will take the advice.
;} KsE
if you are just starting out, I would go for the vypyr over the spider. The vypyr has a ton of effects and sounds decent for the price. My first amp was a spider III, and like most people here will tell you, eventually you will realize the tone is awful, it also died after a year.

If you want to look for tube amps, look at the Vox Ac4TV and the Bugera V5. Im not sure what you play, but for blues and low gain rock, I would take either the vox or the bugera over the vypyr. And realize that wattage on a tube amp is not the same as wattage on a solid state amp. A 5 watt tube amp is plenty loud for a bedroom, probably louder than a 15 watt solid state

Up to you though, go play as many as you can

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Last edited by REV3LATI0N at Nov 5, 2009,
When you say Line 6, I'm guessing you're thinking about a Spider?
Vypyr > Spider. MUCH more versatile (or rather, the Spider isn't at all), and IMO sounds a lot better.

EDIT: I just thought after I posted, if you're willing to spend just a bit more than a Vypyr costs, you can get a Vox VT series amp. They're amazing for the price. That's definitely what I'd go for at your budget.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Nov 5, 2009,
i second the vyper. i had a spider III, neat at first, but really crappy after that.

i dont care much for a small (<5w) tube amps for bedroom play. still very loud, plus i think the small speaker makes it sound worse than it should.
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Well personaly, i think that the vyper sucks! I have played it at guitar center many times. And i have never gotten a "good" sound/tone out of it. The amp has such a digital sound, as well as the line 6. I would suggest, based on your gear, a vox or fender amp. both have great versatity and tone.
What do you play?
Where are you located?
What is your budget?
Willing to consider used amps?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I would suggest the Super ($300) or Vibro ($200) Champ XD. If you are looking for metal or want to stay at around $100 then the Vypyr 15 is the way to go.
Quote by ragingkitty
What do you play?
Where are you located?
What is your budget?
Willing to consider used amps?

This. We can't really help you out unless you answer these questions.

Vypyr 30>Vypyr 15 imo

The 30 has a 12" speaker opposed to an 8" speaker (which I personally think sounds better). The 30 also has more stompbox models, MIDI capabilities, and can be used in conjunction with the Sanpera footswitch.

With that said, there are better amps on the market than the Vypyr if you're willing to go used.
i play metal, metalcore
budget is $200. thats why i'm looking into the vypyr. but i might look into some small tube amps.
;} KsE
I picked up a used(almost new) Vox AD30VT-XL which is the high gain model. Great amp. 30 watts, 12" speaker and I only ended up paying $20 more than what the vypyr 15 would have cost me new. Heres some pics. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1226874

Hope to get some clips soon, but this thing is gear more towards metal, although through tweaking and lowering my pickups a tad, I can get some good classic sounds out of it too.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3