I made a thread somewhat similar to this a couple weeks ago, but I'm going ahead with making my $180ish Ibanez more lovable, starting with eliminating the fret buzz FOREVER!

I did read the bass defret guide, but another method I found on Youtube is heating the frets with a soldering iron and then prying them out that way.

Another question, is it more advantageous to get wood filler or actual hardwood veneers? Where could you get either of those?
You can get wood filler from any good hardware or home supply shop. As for wood veneers, you might try Stewart MacDonald. I think that filling the fret slots with wood veneers would involve a lot more work - fitting, gluing, sanding to a proper finish, etc.
Quote by FatalGear41
You can get wood filler from any good hardware or home supply shop. As for wood veneers, you might try Stewart MacDonald. I think that filling the fret slots with wood veneers would involve a lot more work - fitting, gluing, sanding to a proper finish, etc.
Cool... same thing with a polyurethane coat, I'm assuming?
Quote by jetwash69
Why not just leave the slots open like that guy from Muse?

when did he do this?

and wood filler is just easier.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Steve08
Cool... same thing with a polyurethane coat, I'm assuming?

Yes, you should be able to find polyurethane at a good hardware store. Of course, if your plan is to follow in the footsteps of Jaco, then you are going to want to use an epoxy coating rather than polyurethane. Jaco used an epoxy from a boating supply shop that was used to repair cracks in fiberglass boat hulls. He put several coats of it on his Fender Jazz bass rosewood fretboard so that it wouldn't tear up under the roundwound strings that he favored.

I suppose a good polyurethane would work well, too. It would probably be easier to apply.
I used the soldering iron method. I got the fret pulling tool from Stewmac and it helped a ton. Just heat 'em up and slowly take it out one section at a time. I filled mine with wood filler and the results are in my sig, it's a link to my Photobucket. I did my GSR200 and I looove it now. I forgot I even had a Schecter Elite for a while. I also got some black dye from Stewmac to help hide my lines. I can see them when I'm playing but from farther away they're hidden.

PM me if you have any questions even though I'm not exactly an expert.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by the humanity
when did he do this?

Not sure. I've seen it in youtube vids recently where they're playing Man of Mystery and he's in the Captain America costume. They might have been taken down though, 'cause I couldn't find it today or I would have linked it for ya.

Pretty sure they're left raw; thought I could see the gaps through the neck, but I could be wrong.

I'm surprised that sliding is an issue since those strings are so thick, but then again, I don't play bass.

Good luck with the project.
The soldering iron method is a good way to go, it makes life so much easier. However, if you don't have a soldering iron handy, you can use an iron (like for cloths) and it works just great. Wood filler is great, veneer only really gives you a tiny bit of extra stability and neater lines. The polyurethane that comes in spray cans at a hardware store is fine, and is very easy to apply, just make sure it doesn't pool on the fretboard (just don't spray too heavily). Also, if you don't want lines, you can put down some spray paint before you poly the fretboard.

Welcome to the ranks of people with defretted Ibanez's

EDIT: forgot to mention, remember to do the taping of the neck very meticulously/well. It was a pain in the arse for me having to sand little bits of poly that had leaked through off my neck
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by the humanity
when did he do this?

thats what i was thinking only ever seen him use mainly jazz basses (seen em when they were touring Absolution i was like 14 and it was my 2nd gig ever lol).

But never in any vids like HAARP its always fretted basses.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.