do any of yous have one? and how do you run it?
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
It depends on what you consider DIY. My drummer has a record label. He sends the recordings to a pressing company and they get pressed and all that good stuff.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by I_Pwn
It depends on what you consider DIY. My drummer has a record label. He sends the recordings to a pressing company and they get pressed and all that good stuff.

This, but what are the obligations(i guess you could say) for the band and me? i just want to break even. like say if 200 cds(all done nice nice) is $500 and the band gives me a percentage of what they sell or somthing like this....am i making sence?
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
pretty much you want to send emails and ask other bigger record labels and ask if you can bulk order a bunch of their bands cds, sell those for a bit a little higher then cost and save your money up. Then you can start to look around at local people in bands to find someone you would want on your label. Ummmmm i think thats hit for now
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
Don't ever expect to make a profit or break even, especially on your first releases.
I've pretty much been mailing CDR's out and not charging for them.

A commercial failure perhaps, but a generous and charitable cause for rock an roll.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

A commercial failure perhaps, but a generous and charitable cause for rock an roll.

Yeah, SPBC gave out like 50 EPs all for free and then never recorded anything else (shamefully, since we had 3x as much music as we released).

I'm going to ask my drummer if he still has the tracks. I want to re-record my parts with better quality and remaster the whole thing. See what I can get out of them.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Yeah. Me too.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by BostonLacrosse
pretty much you want to send emails and ask other bigger record labels and ask if you can bulk order a bunch of their bands cds, sell those for a bit a little higher then cost and save your money up. Then you can start to look around at local people in bands to find someone you would want on your label. Ummmmm i think thats hit for now

This would be a distro. Lot's of labels have distro also, but it's not necesarry.

Our label paid for all of the expenses to make the record, and just takes back all the money we make off it. So everyone breaks even in the end. I'm sure any smaller band will be happy just to have their stuff paid for.
brnh.bandcamp.com
I do a record label. I steal the CD-R's and copies for the album art when I can. The bands I usually put out are my bands, and if they aren't they're records that are hard as shit to find in Europe and my friends who were in those bands are cool with me just giving them away.

Just steal as much shit as you can.

If you put out 500 7"s it's customary to give the band 100 of them. But sometimes depending on the cost the band gets 70 of them. We always give 100 though cos we're dirty thieves.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
A friend of ours put out my bands first split and EP. Nothing fancy, just CD-R's. They were packaged up pretty nice, though; glossy paper and shit. Our newest songs haven't been put to CD-R yet, on account of we're lazy/we've only played one show since we recorded it (in August), so there'd be no return on our inve$tment. That's why we're just letting people download it for free. I intend on putting it on CD eventually, but right now there's nothing to be gained from that venture.
I would like to have a nice pressing done of a good album, but because any overseas sales have became the biggest breadwinner since I moved back to London, I'd have to be pretty commericially harsh to make that money back.

Recording cost isn't a problem for now though.
I hate money... or lack of money. Yeah, lack of money.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!