I'm thinking about buying a distortion pedal to help get myself free from the preset distortion levels on my Line 6 Spider III. Right now I have my eyes on 3 different pedals, all from Boss though.

MT-2http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-MT2-Metal-Zone-Effects-Pedal?sku=151328

DS-1http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DS1-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151258

DS-2http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DS2-Turbo-Distortion-Pedal-with-Remote-Jack?sku=151371

I've played the DS-2 and loved the sound of it but I'm open to any opinions. I like to play almost any music under the sun but my hearts really into old Thrash and Heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeath, etc.)

So which pedal do you guys think would be best?
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Save the money and buy a new amp. Even the best pedal selection will sound like crap through your amp
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Save the money and buy a new amp. Even the best pedal selection will sound like crap through your amp

+1 good sir
Oh I agree, a new amp would be a God send for me. But I don't have nearly enough for a new amp...let alone a cabinet to go with it (I'm NEVER buying a combo amp again).

So right now a pedal is the best I can do.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
'Scuse me, while I'm elitest...

Pigtronix Saturator or Son of Hyde, both lovely little units.

As much as i love Line 6, and I do (well, I love the Pod X3 Live, not their combos...) , the guy above is right in that amp distortion kills pedal distortion every time...

Although to be honest I was always quite happy with the distortion I got form my old Spider II; what specifically is lacking?
Wait, why are you not buying any more combo amps?
Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Currently saving for:
Agile/Gary Kramer 7 string
I only have 4 presets on it.

Clean
Mild Distortion
Heavy Distortion
Maximum Distortion

I want a pedal so I can have more then just those 4 levels of distortion, and I've played my guitar using the clean seting using a DS-2 at a local store and the difference was night and day for me. (It also would make switching between no distortion and having distortion a heck of a lot easier for songs like Battery and Welcome Home)

Don't get me wrong the distortion on the amp is nice but I want to have more options then just those 4 (plus I can never get the right sound for Iron Maiden with my presets no matter how much twinking I do with the drive, bass, etc.)
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
Oh I agree, a new amp would be a God send for me. But I don't have nearly enough for a new amp...let alone a cabinet to go with it (I'm NEVER buying a combo amp again).

So right now a pedal is the best I can do.

What's wrong with combo amps??

As long as you stay away from cheap solid states such as Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MG's, you'll be fine.

Save up and buy a tube combo. Soooo worth it.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings