Hello everyone. I have been playing for about 2-3 years and for the past month I have been thinking about getting a new piece of equipment, but it's hard to choose whether to get a new guitar or a new amp. Right now I have a Squier Strat, squier sp-10 amp, (both came in a starter pack) and a digitech rp250 multi-effects pedal. I play metal and punk/pop-punk (children of bodom,blink-182, human abstract, metallica) and I can get a pretty good tone out of my equipment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxndth2ZgQE if you want to hear what it sounds like. The only thing I don't like about the guitar is the action and the single coil pickups I would rather have humbuckers. I'm probably going to be joining a band soon and maybe gigging so I would need a bigger amp for that. Also are there amps that don't have distortion or any effects at all because it would probably be cheaper and I already have an effects pedal so I wouldn't need to pay for the extra effects. 1 more question, what is so bad about combo amps compared to head+cabinet amps.

Based on that information what do you think I should buy, new guitar or new amp?
combo amps suck more. they just dont sound as nice. specialy for metal like the line six spider series its too digital. get like a marshal or somthn u have a pedal anyway.
The general rule is amp first, because it will affect your tone the most. I'd recommend a Fender combo, if you want clean over gain.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Quote by PsYkO_kiLLa90
combo amps suck more. they just dont sound as nice. specialy for metal like the line six spider series its too digital. get like a marshal or somthn u have a pedal anyway.

Please ignore that post.

I would say to mod the squier by adding a humbucker in the bridge position. You can either hack away at your pick guard or buy a HSS one. The guitar is routed for a humbucker so that's not an issue.

So what's the budget for that amp?
We'd really need to know a budget but I do know one thing. You coud get through a gig with a squier guitar but you couldn't gig with that amp. I would think that this would make the amp more important, but if you go used you might could get a good setup cheap.

EDIT: And there's absolutely nothing wrong with a combo amp. Tons of pros use them.
Last edited by RoughDraft274 at Nov 6, 2009,