I just had a question.

Basically, is guitar for everyone? If anyone put enough time into guitar, do you think that they can become a good guitar player? Or is guitar just not for some people?

I'm starting to question myself about this.

I'm nearing two years of guitar playing and I don't think I am at the skill level that I should be at.

Yes, I am currently taking lessons, but I only spend roughly 30mins a day playing at home, with really no practice scheduele. Practice at home really only consists of learning new riffs, going over scales, and going over tabs that my guitar teacher gave me.

Some say that everyone learns at diffrent paces. Maybe I'll get to that point where I'll realize that I'm a decent guitar player soon.

Just had to get that off my chest.

What do you all have to say?
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
Quote by xBrando
I just had a question.

Basically, is guitar for everyone? If anyone put enough time into guitar, do you think that they can become a good guitar player? Or is guitar just not for some people?

I'm starting to question myself about this.

I'm nearing two years of guitar playing and I don't think I am at the skill level that I should be at.

Yes, I am currently taking lessons, but I only spend roughly 30mins a day playing at home, with really no practice scheduele. Practice at home really only consists of learning new riffs, going over scales, and going over tabs that my guitar teacher gave me.

Some say that everyone learns at diffrent paces. Maybe I'll get to that point where I'll realize that I'm a decent guitar player soon.

Just had to get that off my chest.

What do you all have to say?

Try listening to new music, involving yourslef in the music "zone"..
Everyone learns at different speed yes, but sometimes you need to help it a bit..
Yes and guitar is for everyone!!

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
yea its just like anything else you just have to learn it i played for a long time without ever really trying or without care and then you will find a band that strikes you and you just have to play five finger death punch did it for me now its all i do
I've been playing for about 4 years now, and I think I'm pretty decent, but at the same time I'm not good at improvising, I can mostly only learn songs, not write really good ones. And I definitely can't solo on the spot. But that's pretty much just because I'm too lazy to learn theory.
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Some guy in a striped sweater stole all my hamburgers. **** was soooo not cash
A little pessimism about skill is healthy for a guitarist. Stick with it, once your getting jerked off by some sexy babe cause she digged your set, you'll know that your pretty ****ing good at guitar. Apology's in advanced.
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Quote by DoubleyouW
You just gotta feel the music.

So true.. you just need a bit of theory and then it all works

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Not if you're Stephen Hawking maybe, but if you're capable of playing, then you can master it.

Out of curiosity, what tabs does your teacher give you? You should probably spend more like an hour practicing every day on a consistent time schedule, just like you would for weightlifting or something else.
meh i been playing on and off for 2 years and i have accomplished what most people can do in a month if they tried... yeah guitar is like everything else in life. If you don't put anything into it, you won't get anything out of it. Thats half of it. The other half is actually LIKING to play the dam thing lol.

good luck to the both of us...
Quote by xBrando
I just had a question.
Actually you have more than just one.

Quote by xBrando
Basically, is guitar for everyone?
No.

Quote by xBrando
If anyone put enough time into guitar, do you think that they can become a good guitar player?
Define "good". If you mean learn a few songs and enjoy playing, sure. If you mean good enough at playing guitar to make a living as a paid musician, not everyone can get there. If you mean become a "star", few can get there.

Quote by xBrando
Or is guitar just not for some people?
Some don't have the natural physical skills that make it easy. Others don't have the ear or natural feel for music. Some aren't all that interested. Some can be superb musicians, but not at guitar. Their natural skills and the way their minds work might make a different instrument a better fit.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Guitar is not for everyone, but it is for anyone. If you have the ability, dedication, and want to learn to play it, then it's for you. If not, you're going to suck at it. Nobody was "born to play" the guitar. Nobody immediately picks it up and becomes Van Halen. It doesn't work like that. Obviously, though, having a good ear for music and a feeling that you were "born to play" can help.
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
I don't think 30 minutes a day is enough play time to make significant progress. I find that it takes almost 30 minutes to get fully warmed up, much less enough time to learn new material.

I really think that the majority of famous guitarists are what they are though countless years of practice, not through being 'gifted.' It just takes years of playing all over the fingerboard with different shapes, timing, transitions, tempo, etc to build up muscle memory. If you don't plan on playing guitar for a living, just enjoy the journey.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
Quote by ArnaudJ
Try listening to new music, involving yourslef in the music "zone"..
Everyone learns at different speed yes, but sometimes you need to help it a bit..
Yes and guitar is for everyone!!

Yeah, I think it is very important that you listen to music, and then you wish to play that song you listen to it...and when you do, you are vary happy. That is a motivation for me.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster MIM Sunburst
Epiphone LP Studio
2X Roland Cube 30X
Little Big Muff
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Squier Precision Bass
I don't think guitar is for everyone. Personally I've been playing for nearly two years and I'm learning quite fast. Or rythm guitarist in my band's been playing for the same time and isn't even close to where I am. And one of my friend ( a girl ) has been playing for 3 years and I'm way better then her. I'm not try to sound like a jerk, because I just consider myself normal with my skill seeing the time I've played.

What I'm trying to say with my poor english, is that guitar is not for everybody. When I come back from school and work, I take my guitar and play (AND PRATICE) for hours. Our rythm guitarist barely play, let alone pratice, while my friend play only once in a while. Of course everyone CAN learn guitar. But it's not everyone who will spend hours of PRATICE on it. Another one of my friend tryed to learn and he amazed me how much good he was during his first month. The thing is, he couldn't continue to pratice, since he found that he wasn't able to concentrate for hours on scales and arpeggios.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Guitar is for the determined.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Anyone can pick up a guitar and play a song or something, but fewer people can play it, feel it, and enjoy what they're doing.

Anyway all that sappy shit aside, depends if you're into punk or something play a lot of that, compared to being into progressive instrumental stuff, and playing that stuff.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Guitar is for people who love guitar music. Short of that, learning to play the guitar isn't much fun.
Barring severe physical disabilities, anyone can become good at guitar with enough work. Having the passion, determination, and will to put in the work required is a MUCH rarer trait. So is having that combination of being able to enjoy the process, and the progress that you make, while never being satisfied with where you are with it and having a strong desire to improve.
No, it is not for everyone. For example; The guitar is not for them if they don't have much interest in music/playing the instrument. They should also keep away from it if they don't have the ambition to be good.

Just my opinion.

My point is, anyone can play the guitar, it's more "Can anyone have the drive to play the guitar?" That's the way I look at it. I hated my playing for a long time, but I wanted to get better so I put a lot of time into it. I'm still not where I want to be, but I'm MUCH better than a few years ago.
I think for some people guitar comes easy, and for others it doesn't. Just like with other things in life such as sports or other activities. Those who don't get it as easily as others just have to practice more and be determined. I'd say I fall somewhere in between the two.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"