Poll: Should I sell the Valveking?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I sell the Valveking?
Yes. Sell the Valveking
10 50%
No. Keep the Valveking
10 50%
Voters: 20.
I bought a Valveking back in August and was happy with it for a while. It was kind of muddy and did have the nicest gain but I thought it was decent tube amp sound for what I paid for it ($350 new [shipping incl]). Now though, I've got a case of buyers remorse. I just don't like how muddy it is. Upgrading it to give me more gain and clarity would be upwards of 300 bucks. Thats a total of $650 spent on the thing.

Before I bought this amp, I was really interested in the Peavey Vypyr 60. A whole shit load of sounds plus stompboxes and effects all in one. I have a Boss DD-5 that I love to use, and the thing didn't have an FX Loop so that was a major turnoff. But now I'm starting to realize how much I need a wide variety of tones all in one. I play clean stuff, metal, punk, alternative, ska and everything in between. The Valveking couldn't do all that, but it seems like the Vypyr can. Plus I'm going off to college in two years anyway, so the VK wouldn't get use while the Vypyr has a headphone jack.

Anyways, I wanted to get some opinions on me selling my VK and purchasing a Vypyr. What's your opinion?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
It's all subjective really. I actually like amps that are a bit on the dark side and dare I say, a little muddy as opposed to shrill biting gain, but that's just me.
hm..you could invest in a nice overdrive/distortion pedal if you wanted

I haven't tried either valveking or vypyr, so I can't really help you there
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
i really like the vypyr i tried out. i say go test out the vypyr and if you like it, go for it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The Valveking can do all of those rather well, you just need to EQ it and use different pedals or one pedal if your really good at EQing. The distortion on the amp completly sucks in my opinion, but if you run a distorion pedal through the clean channel you can pertty much play any genra, I play metal on mine. Does just fine, I have more gain than I need most of the time.
the main thing you need to do is upgrade the speaker. do that first, then see if you want to sell it.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
a modelling amp will make you even more unhappy...

Buy a new speaker, which whould be less than $150, and maybe some new tubes?

From what I've read that should do the trick...
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
i say dont sell it. youll be more unhappy with the peavey. cant you buy a couple of pedals to sharpen the sound a bit?

ummm....they are both Peaveys.

soul.power - if you liked the Vypyr 60 I'd suggest going for it. I quite like it. The amp models and effects are pretty decent for the cost of this amp. I would bother with any of the other Vypyrs though. I like the Vypyrs before the tube versions came out and once I played the Vypyr 60, I couldn't go back

That said, the VK kinda sucks stock as you already know. I know you post in the Valveking thread so you are aware of all the mods and pedals to use.

I do have one suggestion for you though. There is a good chance you will want a new speaker for the Vypyr if you go that route. Why not get a new speaker now and see if that helps your Valveking. I know it did mine. Then, if you do end up selling it you can pull your speaker out and put it in your Vypyr.

(or whatever)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
ummm....they are both Peaveys.

sou.lpower - if you liked the Vypyr 60 I'd suggest going for it. I quite like it. The amp models and effects are pretty decent for the cost of this amp. I would bother with any of the other Vypyrs though. I like the Vypyrs before the tube versions came out and once I played the Vypyr 60, I couldn't go back

That said, the VK kinda sucks stock as you already know. I know you post in the Valveking thread so you are aware of all the mods and pedals to use.

I do have one suggestion for you though. There is a good chance you will want a new speaker for the Vypyr if you go that route. Why not get a new speaker now and see if that helps your Valveking. I know it did mine. Then, if you do end up selling it you can pull your speaker out and put it in your Vypyr.

(or whatever)

sorry. i meant the peavey vyper. didnt mean for that to sound confusing
Keep the valveking. There was one user here who was gonna sell his until he boosted it with a danelectro cool cat drive which is dirt cheap and a really nice overdrive. He now loves the amp, I mean all you really need is an eq and an ovedrive. New tubes and a speaker would help but if your trying to get clearer gain and more metal, then dano artec 8 band eq/tuner, and a dano cool cat drive and should only cost about 100 bucks or less.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Actually, I think the best mod for the VK would be the output transformer swap, not the speaker swap... but I've yet to do the OT swap so I can't really comment.

I know that, for me, an EQ was more effective than the speaker swap.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i can understand you not liking your valveking but i doubt a vyper would be the solution to the problem. i dont think there is an easy solution. just save up to get a proper tube amp.
Or he could try some of the mods on the VK thread... like that odd looking jack mod.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado
i can understand you not liking your valveking but i doubt a vyper would be the solution to the problem. i dont think there is an easy solution. just save up to get a proper tube amp.

The VK is a proper tube amp and a decent one if you spend the time to set it up right
Raijouta, the OT mod may be the best one out there but if he hasn't done any of the simple mods - I don't think an new Output Transformer is going to be up his alley. Unless he pays someone to do it for him. Have you done the OT mod yet?

You can almost get a speaker and a cheap EQ for $100 new. Both are easy to implement. If you decide you want a Vypyr later - then put the VK speaker back in and put the new speaker in the Vypyr (because it could use a new speaker too)

just my .311 cents
These are all great suggestions, thank you!

I really would hate to sell the amp, because I'm in AK and shipping is a bitch anywhere. And there's only like 30,000 people in my town, so locally it might be hard to sell.

Anyways, I was planning on getting a new distortion pedal anyway, one for the heavier rock stuff. The VK distortion isn't great when you crank it (as most of you know) but isn't too bad for gentler stuff.

I was looking at distortion pedals, and I'm liking the Vox Satchurator. My local store has a Jemini pedal which sounds nice from what I've heard, but I've also heard it sounds like a Keeley DS-1? What are some good distortion pedals for Satriani, Gilbert, Metallica, Van Halen kind of stuff?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ