Hey guys.

Let me preface this by saying that I've never before tried to run more than one cabinet from a head before in my life, so I'm new to the whole concept of stacking cabs.

Now, I'm looking to get rid of my 4x12 in favor of a smaller, more portable 2x12. But, say later on down the road, I decide I want to throw another 2x12 underneath my existing one for a little more spread and "oomph". If the two cabinets are set up as follows:

Switchable between mono/stereo
Left jack is 4 ohms/right jack is 16 ohms in mono
Both jacks are 8 ohms in stereo

Is it possible to stack two of them in mono and get a useable impedance?
ok ill start by saying im not quite sure about this hypothetical situation, but i may be able to fofer some help.

i have 2 2x12 mesa cabs. they have 2 jacks. on is an 8ohm in. the other is a prarallel out. i run my 5150 into one of the cabs, and run a cable from one cab to the other so i have 4x12s. this method works fine for me and sounds great.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'm not an EE but if you run both 2x12 cabs in a daisy chain (plug one into the other) then that would be in series so that tells me if you have 2 - 8 ohm cabs, you would set your amp to 16. If it was a parallel situation and both cabs were 8 (in my example) then you would set your amp at 4.

I think I got that right.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm not an EE but if you run both 2x12 cabs in a daisy chain (plug one into the other) then that would be in series so that tells me if you have 2 - 8 ohm cabs, you would set your amp to 16. If it was a parallel situation and both cabs were 8 (in my example) then you would set your amp at 4.

I think I got that right.

I'm pretty sure you go that right, 311.

If its daisy chained (series) you'd have an 8 ohm cab + an 8 ohm cab = 16 ohm load from the amp.

If it was ran in parallel you'd want two 4 ohm outs from the head running into two 8 ohm cabs.
ok reading these replies has me kind of curious.

i have 2 8 ohm mesa cabs. one has a "paralleled" out that i run into the other. what ohmage do i end up on?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You guys are misunderstanding my question, though. Is it possible to even daisy chain cabs of this particular configuration in series? There is nothing about the cab that seems to be a parallel out unless the jack not being used becomes a parallel out.

Remember, when in mono mode on these particular cabs, the left jack is 4 ohms and the right jack is 16 ohms.
OK. I'll try one more time but I'm not a wiring expert.

The parallel business will have more to do with whether your amp (which is what?) has parallel speaker outs. I think.

The 212 in question has 8 ohm speakers. So when the cable is in the 16 ohm jack that means it is pulling your two speakers together in series. When the cable is in the 4 ohm jack that means it is pulling your two speakers together in parallel.

So if you daisy chain 2 identical cabs together then you'll want to use the 4 ohm jacks and get 8 total. Conversely, 2 cabs daisy chained together using the 16 ohm jacks would give you 32 total (which won't work *well*).

I think therefore, if your amp has parallel speaker outs only then you would use the 16 ohm jacks on the cabs and pull both cabs together at 8 ohms total. That would not be daisy chaining obviously and I don't think that is what you will end up doing.

Hope I didn't confuse things and I hope I didn't totally botch that.