So since I've gotten my new bass I've of course jumped to the next step: what amp would sound amazing with it? I was looking into buying an Ashdown EB 15-180 for a while, now I think I'm leaning more towards the Fender Bassman 250/115. I'm looking into the big 15" speakers for low-end quality, as I perfer playing lower notes and enjoy a smooth thumpy sound more and 15's convey that well from what I've heard.

I play indie music, I like the bassist of Bloc Party's sound because he has a P-bass and finger picks. I'm also raising my range for spending money to probably $700-$950; I would really like to not spend over the $1,000 USD mark, unless it's taxes. I'm open to all ideas, vintage, used, separate amp and cab, tube or hybrid maybe?

Don't care about the wattage much, but one thing I like is a lot options to teak the tone, I hate $1000 amps that have just the bass/mid/treble settings, graphic EQ isn't required, but the more buttons and knobs the happier I'll be

Anything else to include? My new bass is in the top line in my sig.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
If you want tone and the ability to tweak it out of a combo, take a look at the SWR WorkingPro 2x10C. It sounds phenomenal and it is as loud as hell. It would also falll within your budget, unlike their flagship combo, the SWR Redhead.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Nov 6, 2009,
^ that.

you sound like you'd enjoy some kind of tube amp. scope around for a mesa boogie 400+. they can be cheap used.

nvm, your craigslist sucks. there are like 4 posts in it.

still look.

Peavey gets great thump, look for that stuff too.

Moakes plays various Fender Precision Basses through an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II amplifier head and an Ashdown ABM 410T cabinet. Gordon plays the Glockenspiel on the tracks SRXT and Waiting For The 7.18 On the track Flux Moakes plays a Korg MicroKorg. When Gordon was asked about his amps recently he said;
I've been playing through Ashdown gear ever since I started touring in Bloc Party, which was before we even had a record deal. I don't like playing anything else now. I stop short at hissy-fits but I'm not a happy bunny if I ever have to play through anything else. I've occasionally had to rent other gear for festivals and far-flung shows and those days make me sad. Ashdown is so good because it's the only set-up that creates the sound I hear in my head. The way I want to play is about a clean, ringing high end without any lack of punch in the low. I want the bass to be musical but also heavy and percussive. You should be able to move to it and sing it at the same time. I've only been able to get that all-round sound with Ashdown. It's all about a thick, rounded sound from the lowest drop D, or lower, all the way up the high frets. It has to work at both ends. But I'm not after some over- indulgent 80s five-string bass sound. As far as I'm concerned what I play is punk rock, and even if I'm staying around three notes on the E string I want the richest, most visceral sound I can get. And that's Ashdown."

according to wikipedia.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Oh I though Gordon used the traditional Ampeg set-up with the big 8x10 cab and the SVT head, well that's interesting to know since I HAVE seen them in concert before and the bass sounded real good. eBay is my main buying tool if I go used. I'll collect some money and keep an eye out.

I just looked up the Mesa Boogie 400+... I AM kind of aiming for semi-pro equipment but holy crap, that's top of the line, don't think I can shell out that much money and then a cab for it.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Helbent Revenge
I just looked up the Mesa Boogie 400+... I AM kind of aiming for semi-pro equipment but holy crap, that's top of the line, don't think I can shell out that much money and then a cab for it.

If you want a Mesa Bass 400+ head, grab it A.S.A.P. They've stopped making it. Mesa has an annoying habit of discontinuing a lot of great gear before we mere mortals can scrape together enough money to buy it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom