Tone: Smooth, clear, growly, "snappy"
Genres:modern rock, hard rock, and metal
Influences: Ryan Martinie, Flea, Justin Chancellor, Matt Freeman, Josh Smith, Leon Wilkeson
Current Bass: Warwick Fortress Rockbass p/j active pickups

I wanted to get GK 412, but its too expensive, so i figured id get a backline head and add some other cabs.
I stumbled on two great deals though and I need an idea of which cab will go better with a GK BL600 and generally help the tone I'm trying to get

1.) (2) Avatar 2x12 500w @8ohms
56 pounds
Easy to transport, and from what I've heard, 2x12 sound like the best speaker size
Haven't heard much about avatars tone though
$600

2.) Ampeg "fridge" 8x10 800w @4ohms
150ish pounds
Seems like an amazing deal, and supposed to be absolute top of the line gear,
seems like it'd be a bit hard to transport and i've heard rumors that ampeg can sound fuzzy/wooly/muddy, which i do not want
$500
No need to bump your thread. Well get around to it.
And if I could get the ampeg for that price, Id be all over it. The resale value should be pretty good, Id imagine, if you dont like it. Used is always a great way to go.

The avatar cabs are very clear and punchy, but like I said, I wouldnt pass up that ampeg.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Nov 6, 2009,
Ya i would get the ampeg.Ive heard nothing bad about them and ive played on 1 and there awsome.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
A 2x12 is going to give you a lower tone and have a bit harder time playing high notes, unless the cab has a tweeter, whereas an 8x10 will give you a punchier tone and be able to play the higher notes easier. Plus the 8x10 will be the best of both worls since all 8 of the speakers play together to give you rumbling lows. The Ampeg 8x10 cab is pretty much the industry standard, meaning TONS of people use them, cause there good!
An old-school Ampeg built with the same design technique as 50 years ago is wooly, bass, boomy and yicky. On the other hand an Avatar built with new design technology and loaded with punchy 2x12 speakers is going to be very... oh, I don't know, smooth, clear, growly and "snappy". There is no question about what you should be getting in my mind. The 2x12 is a superior cabinet and it fits better for what you want as far as I can tell. True, I'd bet that a lot of the people you mentioned and other people from the genre you mentioned use fridges, but that's only because they don't have me to advise them.

Now, as for your choice of head... I'd reconsider. If you're going to deck yourself out with a nice cabinet at least get a head to match. The GK Backline series is really lacklustre. Everything about them is mediocre. Consider upgrading to the next GK line, the RB series or whatever they call it. You'll find that your money in that price range (with any amp manufacturer for that matter) will get you exponentially more value.
Quote by c3powil
No need to bump your thread. Well get around to it.
And if I could get the ampeg for that price, Id be all over it. The resale value should be pretty good, Id imagine, if you dont like it. Used is always a great way to go.

The avatar cabs are very clear and punchy, but like I said, I wouldnt pass up that ampeg.

Nice avatar, I love flapjack lol
thanks for the feedback

Quote by Claypool5667
A 2x12 is going to give you a lower tone and have a bit harder time playing high notes, unless the cab has a tweeter, whereas an 8x10 will give you a punchier tone and be able to play the higher notes easier. Plus the 8x10 will be the best of both worls since all 8 of the speakers play together to give you rumbling lows. The Ampeg 8x10 cab is pretty much the industry standard, meaning TONS of people use them, cause there good!

the 2x12's do have tweeters

So UG, is the general consensus the Ampeg? or are their any avatar supporters out there
I support avatar. They're very good cabs, and a 2x12 is going to give you good highs and lows. All I am saying about the ampeg is that it is so cheap, and IF you like the tone it would be a good steal.

I suggest trying at least one out before you buy either of them. Even if you can only try the ampeg, you will know wheather you prefer a cleaner and punchy kind of tone or not.

P.S. Thanks, dude. Flapjack is the best.
Last edited by c3powil at Nov 7, 2009,
I'd go for the Avatar, no question about it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
You'd be mad to go for the Ampeg.

Like you i love a Smooth, clear, growly, "snappy" tone and every Ampeg i've played has left me appalled.

Can't say much on the Avatar apart from that if reputation is anything to go by it's pretty much what you are looking for
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Just tried an ampeg rig yesterday (810 and some head), and although it didnt sound bad, it didn't particularly impress me in anyway
Sooo I guess Ill probably get the avatars
any last minute input anyone?
if you have suitable means and physical strength for the transportation of that ampeg 810 i'd say go for it for sure. maybe get a trolley or something for it if big enough trolleys exist.

theyre great cabs imo
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Ugh another choice besets me
now i think ill try a GK 700 RB-II (480W) for the head

(2) Avatar neo 2x12
500w
56 pounds each
$600

or

GK 410 RBH
Gk 115 RBH
800w and 400w
92 and 72 pounds
$750

Both seem loud enough to handle anything I may want/handle the 700RB 2?
soo all i really care about is does the RBH sound better enough (not loudness, purely tone[see first post]) to compensate for the extra 50 pounds/ $150?
Id go avatar. It will be MUCH lighter.
soo if i go with the avatars,
which are rated at 500w
and the GK 700RB 2 is rated at 480w, will there be a risk of blowing out my speakers if i push it too far?
Quote by ExurKun
soo if i go with the avatars,
which are rated at 500w
and the GK 700RB 2 is rated at 480w, will there be a risk of blowing out my speakers if i push it too far?
Uh, probably not, even if there is only 20W between them.
I dont think soo. If your head is rated under you cabs you should have no fear of blowing speakers.
The amp will actually only send about 240 watts to each cabinet, so you shouldn't worry too much about overloading the speakers. Actually with modern speakers you don't really have much worry of that with most wattages. However, that's not to say you can crank it and blithely go about your way. Unfortunately the GK doesn't have a gain knob or clip light (sin as far as I'm concerned) so you'll have to be careful not to push it so hard that you get clipping. This usually starts to happen in decent amps maybe around 90%. But honestly if you're pushing 480 watts through 2 2x12 the likelihood you'll push it past 90% is very small. Clipping will hurt speakers that can handle 1000W that you're only pushing 5W into.