Hey guys, Hirschberger again.

I've recently got enough money to finally actually go through with this whole "getting a sexy amp" deal. I'm really stoked; However, one thing stands in my way: What amp do I want?

Anyways, let me give you the guides I'm trying to follow.
- I'm willing to spend approximately $2,500. That includes the Head and Cab!
- Used isn't a problem for me, even if it does take substantially longer to find a good amp. Never bought used either, but I'll have someone help me.
- Tonewise, I'm looking for a Mastodon, Alice in Chains, Tool kind of distortion sound. I know that's a lot to ask for
- I'd preferably like 2 channels, but its not necessary.
- I do play a wide range of music, so versatility is preferred, but not extremely necessary

Things I have considered in the past, and have not turned them down, and why:

- Marshall JCM 800 2204 (50 watts. 100 watts is way too much). The one channel thing, along with the having to buy used thing is a little bit of a pain.
- Splawn Quickrod. Versatile with good cleans and a great lead, but I'm not sure it has the thick juicy gain I'm looking for (ex: the 3 bands i stated above).
- Splawn Nitro. Saturated as hell, but not the most versatile (or so I've been told). A little too metal oriented?
- Mesa Mark V - Versatile, yet head + cab is $3000+, so that's a no-no!

Any help would be awesome! Sorry for the wall of text.

tl;dr - Don't be lazy and read!

AS PROMISED:
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Last edited by Hirschberger at Nov 5, 2009,
That whole cake thing is just sad ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

mmmmmm cake...
i had a possible answer for your question, but that cake has made me forget it... i will get back to you

EDiT:
Ok...
i do believe that both mastedon and tool use marshall amps, adam jones uses a superbass i think, but those are pretty hard to get. a marshall of some kind might be the way to go
or maybe orange amps, something like a rockerverb could work?
Pretty sure that jerry cantrell uses bogner, and that they were making a signature amp for him, so you could hold out for that...

sorry cant help on prices but those are a few options
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Nov 5, 2009,
just trying to give people an incentive to help me.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Mesa MkIV Combo?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Randall RM100 head with Plexi, SL+, and Salvation Ubersonic modules? Then add an Avatar cab or something. Go used, you should get the amp and modded modules for around $1500.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Throw in the 2-channel titan in the mix, as well. I haven't played one, but throw in the engl savage in there too. You can easily get one under 2k used.

oh btw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvRqnd4ymus

japanese version's better
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
+1 on the Titan but what about its saturation?

Can't speak to the Mark V but I want one

Nitro has better cleans now and I would consider it just as versatile as a Quick Rod.

Splawns are fairly dry amps. Cleans are passable but not the greatest. Build quality is there and you can find them in your range easily. I just put a 5751 in my V1 preamp it screams now. Can't wait to get back on it. I run at 50 watts. If you like mids and growl you'll like the Splawns. PM Erock503 he has owned both a Nitro and a Quick Rod.

I like the Randall RM idea too, and obviously the JCM.
Adam Jones uses a diezel vh4.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1 on the Titan but what about its saturation?

Can't speak to the Mark V but I want one

Nitro has better cleans now and I would consider it just as versatile as a Quick Rod.

Splawns are fairly dry amps. Cleans are passable but not the greatest. Build quality is there and you can find them in your range easily. I just put a 5751 in my V1 preamp it screams now. Can't wait to get back on it. I run at 50 watts. If you like mids and growl you'll like the Splawns. PM Erock503 he has owned both a Nitro and a Quick Rod.

I like the Randall RM idea too, and obviously the JCM.

titan's saturation varies, but it can get pretty saturated

i think
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Have you looked on LA craigslist?

There is a JCM 800 2203X like I have on there for $850, you could buy a Mills cab and boost it, and you'd have a hell of a set up.
There is a Soldano SLO on there for $2000, and you could find a nice cab for $500.
If you want a Mark V, wait for it to drop in price used, right now it's pretty steep, but I imagine that it'll start to decrease in price.

That's all I can think of, but the JCM boosted or the Soldano would probably get some of that 'raunchy' gain.
There is also a Roadking on CL right now for $1650 with a road case. Also a Ecstasy on there right now, for $2400, but I can imagine you can get them down.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^thrasher - great point.

There is some seriously nice gear on the LA Clist. Usually always is

Make some appointments and go play.

Lately it has been pretty damn dry on there. But like I said, right now, there is some serious high end stuff. If the TS can pull out some more cash and buy a lifelong amp, there is a VH4 for $3000, and like I said, could probably get it down.
Quote by thrasher.
If you want a Mark V, wait for it to drop in price used, right now it's pretty steep, but I imagine that it'll start to decrease in price.

I could be wrong, but IIRC, Mesa is one amp maker which does not lower their prices no matter how long its been out or for anyone.

James Hetfield can buy the amp today... or he can buy it one year from today and he'd still pay the price you would pay today... $2k.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I could be wrong, but IIRC, Mesa is one amp maker which does not lower their prices no matter how long its been out or for anyone.

James Hetfield can buy the amp today... or he can buy it one year from today and he'd still pay the price you would pay today... $2k.

No I meant, in the used market. Usually when Mesa comes out with new stuff, it doesn't lose any value used, than the prices start to decrease.
Quote by thrasher.
No I meant, in the used market. Usually when Mesa comes out with new stuff, it doesn't lose any value used, than the prices start to decrease.

That'll be a while... unless the TS gets really lucky.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )