Right now, I have a Laney AOR 50 watt combo, 1965 Twin Reverb, Line 6 Flextone XL, and Roland Jazz Chorus. These are great for playing gigs, but bad in the house.

These amps have to be cranked loud to "Get That Tube Sound". I want something small that I can crank in my bedroom, but has really good tone.

I don't want to buy Power Attenuators for all of my amps. Everyone that has one tells me they are give and take. Guitar amp speakers have to be pushed hard, so they start moving air, as well as the power section to get a great tube sound.

What is a good low wattage, tube amp, with reverb for home or studio use these days? I don't want onboard effects, just reverb. I have an effects pedal board. I called Fender and Laney Tech support. I pulled the two center or two end power tubes, but this didn't reduce the volume much at all, and they told me not to run the amps like that for long, because they were not designed that way. I don't want to screw my old amps

Got any ideas? ( Great sounding, tube amp, bedroom volume level )

Here are some examples of the kind of music that I write and play!

I wrote/composed these songs and recorded them in my bedroom studio. I played all of the instruments, so the rhythm section isn't the greatest!

http://www.atlanticplumbing.net/moodswing.mp3

http://www.atlanticplumbing.net/Sihlouette.mp3

http://www.atlanticplumbing.net/Stranger.mp3
We need to know a budget, first off.

Second, small tube amps are still freaking loud (some will even debate that they are too loud for bedroom use).

Also, don't expect to have good cleans if you're cranking a small tube amp.
Quote by Telewanger
Line 6 Flextone XL, and Roland Jazz Chorus. These are great for playing gigs, but bad in the house.

These amps have to be cranked loud to "Get That Tube Sound".

T00bs?????
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
FENDER CHAMPION.

/thread
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
Quote by manipulator70
FENDER CHAMPION.

/thread

You don't even know the man's budget. There are boutique amps that, if the TS is willing to pay that much for an amp, would be a much better choice.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1225844

I basically compiled a pretty good list right there. Unfortunately no one helped me with my query.

Out of those I'd go with the AC4TV, as I have good faith in vox

EDIT: but it doesnt have reverb.

You could go with an AC15 or something, but I heard that even those are really loud...

I played a Valve junior before and that was wallshakingly loud at about 5 watts? But then again, no reverb...
Last edited by Tedward at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
T00bs?????

No, I didn't say all my amps were tube amps. All of them have to be cranked loud to get a good tube sound. I have tube preamp drivers on my pedal boards and a tube booster in my rack. I can get pretty convincing tube sounds out of my two solid state amps with the tube drivers, but not quite as warm as full tube amp, of course.
Quote by Telewanger
No, I didn't say all my amps were tube amps. All of them have to be cranked loud to get a good tube sound. I have tube preamp drivers on my pedal boards and a tube booster in my rack. I can get pretty convincing tube sounds out of my two solid state amps with the tube drivers, but not quite as warm as full tube amp, of course.

Nah, I expected that you were either out trolling or got too lazy to write a story about your amps... but I could not resist the temptation.

The Flextone XL should do low volume well, right?

Budget?
New VS Used?
Music genres?

Quote by Tedward
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1225844

I basically compiled a pretty good list right there. Unfortunately no one helped me with my query.

Added my views.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 5, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Nah, I expected that you were either out trolling or got too lazy to write a story about your amps... but I could not resist the temptation.

The Flextone XL should do low volume well, right?

Budget?
New VS Used?
Music genres?

Well, actually the Line 6 does sound better than the other amps at low volume, but it still sounds like make believe processed tubes.

I'm not gonna spend a lot of money on a little amp. I will just buy one used somewhere. I bought the Laney for $250.00 at a pawn shop and I like it much better than my Marshall JCM 800 half stack. The Laney has all the push pull tone, preamp, and volume pots. It gets a lot more sounds the the Marshall. Actually, the Marshall gets AC/DC and clean, that's about it without my effects pedals.
You can look at Ceriatone...
or the Blackheart Killer ant or Little Giant...
Peavey WIndsor Studio (I think its a 1.5 watt amp)
Vox AC4TV
Orange AD5 (if you can find it used)
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
^^ the only one from that last i'd think about getting is the vox. i think you confused the windsor studio with the peavey studio special 1.5.
Quote by andresmirt
^^ the only one from that last i'd think about getting is the vox. i think you confused the windsor studio with the peavey studio special 1.5.

That's the one...

It such a pain to navigate around the Peavey site that I just gave up and tried to recall what it was.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Honestly, if you're cranking an amp at home, even 1 watt can be too loud depending on your house. I live in a townhouse, and my neighbours would kill me if I cranked my Rebel 20 at 1 watt. I say go for the Vox AC4. 1/4 watt is about as low as you can go.

Edit for spelling fix. Props to the kitty (who I almost didn't recognize because of the new avatar) for pointing it out.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Last edited by jc349 at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by jc349
I live in a townhouse, and my neighbours would kill me if I cranked my Revel 20 at 1 watt.

Wow... when did you change your amp? No NAD?

Yes... 1 watt of t00b power is overkill when you're pushing the power tubes.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Wow... when did you change your amp? No NAD?

Yes... 1 watt of t00b power is overkill when you're pushing the power tubes.

my bad........
I must be getting sleepy........

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
Honestly, if you're cranking an amp at home, even 1 watt can be too loud depending on your house. I live in a townhouse, and my neighbours would kill me if I cranked my Rebel 20 at 1 watt. I say go for the Vox AC4. 1/4 watt is about as low as you can go.

Edit for spelling fix. Props to the kitty (who I almost didn't recognize because of the new avatar) for pointing it out.

This. i tried cranking the rebel 20 at 1 watta also and it was loud as a bitch. i don't know much about small amps but the zvex nano amp or whatever its called is so cool. probably way too expensive for ya though. it might be a tough ask to get reverb in one of these small amps though.
Quote by joe_k
This. i tried cranking the rebel 20 at 1 watta also and it was loud as a bitch. i don't know much about small amps but the zvex nano amp or whatever its called is so cool. probably way too expensive for ya though. it might be a tough ask to get reverb in one of these small amps though.

One thing about the zvex nano I did not like was the fact that you had practically no headroom to speak of.

Quote by jc349
]Props to the kitty (who I almost didn't recognize because of the new avatar) for pointing it out.

Like the new avatar?

I know most of the states' are asleep... I'm waiting for peps to ask about the new avatar. On the flip side, the cat is still on my profile.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 6, 2009,
I don't know if these are too large, 15 Watts?, but I know they are cheap and perfect for -my- bedroom use. The Fender Super Champ XD, which is only like $300, is a great little tube amp, although it does have quite a few on board effects, it also has some "over-driven" voices. So you wouldn't need to crank it to get a nice sound (Not too sure how 'authentic' the overdrive is).