I've been trying to figure out if there are any pickups that are better suited to pick up pinch harmonics. I have a friend who has a ALEXI-200 and he's able to pick up better ph (pinch harmonics) than i do with my fender starcaster a.k.a ghettocaster. Is it just that active pickups can pick ph's better than passive or what. Any help?
I guess higher output pickups would hel a bit, but it's mostly technique and practice that gets you nice pinch harmoncs.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i would say although certain pickups do make it easier (also amp makes a huge difference, way more then p/us) nothing outweighs practice. you can do pinch harmonics acoustically.
Dimebuckers Ftw!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Haha, lol of course dimebuckers make you play like dimebag.

Seriosuly its mostly technique,
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
You can get them on basically any eletric pickups.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Starcasters are notoriously known for their shoddy quality. Putting new pickups in it would be like polishing a piece of shit.

I'm guessing that you're not in the money right now, but the best advice I can give if for you to get yourself a better guitar.

All in all, harmonics come down to practise, but if you want the typical "squeally" sound, then you ought to be looking at some higher gain equipment, but not before you get a new guitar - nothing is gonna help more than practising and a new instrument.
Quote by xXDeviousPacoXx
I've been trying to figure out if there are any pickups that are better suited to pick up pinch harmonics. I have a friend who has a ALEXI-200 and he's able to pick up better ph (pinch harmonics) than i do with my fender starcaster a.k.a ghettocaster. Is it just that active pickups can pick ph's better than passive or what. Any help?

Bollocks. Any brighter/hotter pickup will make it a bit easier for someone who uses them regularly - but it's not going to make up for crap technique!

Plenty of acoustic players can manage pinch harmonics, so don't go blaming your gear.
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 6, 2009,
A lot of it will be in technique. High gain amplifiers, OD/distortion pedals, hotter pickups, and humbuckers (I'm assuming the Starcaster is single-coil?) will all bring the harmonics out more, but if your technique isn't there, you're out of luck.

I had no problems doing pinch harmonics on a Crate Palomino V8 (mid-gain at best) and with my Omen 6's stock pickups (passive).
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
actually my stock mia strat did PH easier than other hambuckers guitars i tried.
(1) The ability to effectively execute pinch harmonics (aka artificial harmonics) is relating more to your technique (or lack thereof).

(2) Some higher output pickups do help to make it "squeal" sharper and louder, but you still need the skill to execute PHs before you can make them squeal.

(3) More gain on the amp makes the PH more noticeable. However, you'll still need the proper technique to make the pinch harmonic jump out.

(4) Its still a technique, because it is very possible to do pinch harmonics on the acoustic.

(5) Don't pinch wherever you like on the string, because harmonics can only be executed on very specific length ratios along your strings. You'll still need the technique to figure out where to "pinch" your string.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by xXDeviousPacoXx
I have a friend who has a ALEXI-200 and he's able to pick up better ph (pinch harmonics) than i do with my fender starcaster a.k.a ghettocaster

He has better technique than you.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
it's all in the technique of the player of where you pinch the string.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
its mainly technique
i get nice pinch harmonics on my clean channel
try running through scales doing nothing but pinch harmonics should help
once you've got the basics a higher gain amp higher output pickups will enhance it
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by jc349
I guess higher output pickups would hel a bit, but it's mostly technique and practice that gets you nice pinch harmoncs.

You win this thead mah man!

TS: Its 99% technique, 1% high gain.
You should be able to get a pinch harmonic on a Telecaster going into a Twin Reverb. If you can't, then it's just technique.
umm yea you gotta have the technique but if your equipment isn't correct your not gonna get a zakk wylde uber squeelly pinch harmonic.

High gain + high output pickups + good fingers Boii
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
umm yea you gotta have the technique but if your equipment isn't correct your not gonna get a zakk wylde uber squeelly pinch harmonic.

High gain + high output pickups + good fingers Boii

Wrong. I can get Zakk Wylde-esque squeals with very low gain and my crappy Epi pickups. Its 99% technique.
Wha Choo want........ a cookie ?

naa seriously though your logic is sterile. We all can do them without gain..... even on a guitar unplugged But..... to get heavy compressed lead sound you need gain.... suitable pickup for certain tones.

It's all cool though. agree too disagree.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
Wha Choo want........ a cookie ?

naa seriously though your logic is sterile. We all can do them without gain..... even on a guitar unplugged But..... to get heavy compressed lead sound you need gain.... suitable pickup for certain tones.

It's all cool though. agree too disagree.

There's nothing wrong with my logic. Sorry that you just can't do them properly.
It seriously takes 21 replies to say "EMG's and practice"?
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
It seriously takes 21 replies to say "EMG's and practice"?

Well it's been said like 21 times, so you clearly didn't read the thread at all.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
EMG

no you don't NEED EMGs.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
no you don't NEED EMGs.

Exactly. Like already mentioned, it all comes from your skill. I can do pinch harmonics on an acoustic guitar. Your pickups are not the problem.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
it's kinda stupid that no one is really helping him, but TS first play your friends guitar for a bit and see how it is. Of course pinch harmonics require practice and you can get them on an acoustic blah, blah, blah but a better guitar/pickups surely helps. You can't say that it isn't better on a high end ESP than on a freakin Starcaster.

Anyway TS, it's most likely just a matter of practice BUT if you've played many guitars and don't struggle to get pinch harmonics and them well then you may want to consider a new guitar then.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
i can do a pinch harmonic on an acoustic
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by woodenbandman
Well it's been said like 21 times, so you clearly didn't read the thread at all.

You're right, I really didn't. I skipped right over all the "Well, technically..."

No you don't NEED EMG's, but they certainly help. I can pinch just fine with Ibanez INF 3's an 4's. EMG's can help to boost your signal and harmonic response on an amp without having to crank the gain up to fizzy levels.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
whoa whoa calm down the fu*k down everyone! i asked for pickups :P i'm still working on technique. i was also planing on getting a new guitar in the future. that was all i was asking for . pickups. plain as that. if it was all technique i would put it in the technique forums. :p