Ok, while this comes natural to some people. I really struggle with this.

I think its because I'm taking a far too technical approach. Both parts (lyrics & music) seem way to mechanical to me. I feel like I know enough theory to write a melody (staying in key, tonal center, etc), but everything comes out sounding boring or lackluster. I attributed this to my lack of lyrics, but whenever I try to write anything, it seems dumb to me, or not "real".

It definitely gives me more respect for some of my favorite artists, who seem to pour out song after song that are really creative both lyrically and musically
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
write about personal things, take something happening in your life, write down your thoughts and feelings. then change that into simple lines, start there, then develop it, don't force it. after awhile it flows more naturally
Keep in mind that not everything you write will be golden. If you write a crappy song, don't throw it away and forget about it. Keep it, and remember it as a crappy song that you wrote. Analyze it. Figure out what you don't like about it specifically, and write more stuff while avoiding the same mistakes. It will take time, but eventually you'll be hammering out songs that you can be proud of.

Then again, I'm no song writer, but it sounds like a good approach, yeah?
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
I tend to hear things in my head before I write them down instead of writing for the sake of writing, but that's just my approach. You gotta find what works for you. Yoduh up there has good input too.
I don't know much about the lyrics part of songwriting, I usually let my vocalist do that, but as far as the music goes; just noodle around on your instrument, and if you play something you like(a progression, a melody, some rythmic pattern, etc.), you could try to base the next jam session with your band on that. Also, don't approach songwriting too technical, awesome things can happen by accident too. Think out of the box sometimes, it can lead to fun.
And of course, songwriting is a skill you have to learn and practice. Practice makes perfect.
If you think it's because lyrics are missing, why not write lyrics then? I too think that a backing track sounds hollow.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by mdawg24
Yoduh up there has good input too.

Thanks, man!
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!