Whats better a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser or Ibanez Iceman ICT700?

by Request of Seref:
-style of music: Metal, mostly System of a Down songs, but usually i just doodle and play randomly
-Preferred body wood: none
-Other favorite guitars: B.C. Rich Warlock
-I do not intend to modify the guitar at all

other info:
-I use a Crate GTD15 Amp and a Line 6 Spider III Amp
Last edited by Bloodfalkon at Nov 6, 2009,
Hellraiser. In all fairness, ive tried them both and couldnt stand the Iceman. it just felt awkward to play...
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Well this is pretty much bordering on a vs. thread and is probably going to get closed unless you stop being so vague.
Well Iceman can freeze his enemies and create those cool ice bridge things that he rides around on. Hellraiser just has nails coming out of his face so I don't think he'd stand a chance against Iceman.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Quote by shaggydogJV
Hellraiser. In all fairness, ive tried them both and couldnt stand the Iceman. it just felt awkward to play...

I have never used an iceman. Cant find one anywhere. I just like it because my favorite guitarist uses one and the strange shape of the body. How do they sound?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Well this is pretty much bordering on a vs. thread and is probably going to get closed unless you stop being so vague.

I am asking advice for when i decide to buy one of the two. What more do i need to say?
Quote by Bloodfalkon
I am asking advice for when i decide to buy one of the two. What more do i need to say?

Your style of music. Preferred body wood if you have one. Other favorite guitars based on tone/comfort. If you intend to modify these guitars in any way (i,e., pickups, tuners, nut, pots). All of that and more could play a factor in which of these guitars would be best suited towards you.
Quote by Seref
Your style of music. Preferred body wood if you have one. Other favorite guitars based on tone/comfort. If you intend to modify these guitars in any way (i,e., pickups, tuners, nut, pots). All of that and more could play a factor in which of these guitars would be best suited towards you.

ok.
Quote by Bloodfalkon
I have never used an iceman. Cant find one anywhere. I just like it because my favorite guitarist uses one and the strange shape of the body. How do they sound?

oh god please tell me you're not referring to sam totman

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Iceman for me.

Go try them and decide for yourself.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Iceman for me.

Go try them and decide for yourself.

I have tried the Hellraiser and really liked it, but i cant find an Iceman anywhere.

Quote by SPBY
oh god please tell me you're not referring to sam totman

Im not. Im referring to Daron Malakian.
Quote by Bloodfalkon

Ah so you're buying a guitar are you? Shit I thought you were just comparing for ****s sake in the original post. What's your current guitar mate? Though with the active pickups in the Hellraiser and you playing a line 6 spider you may want to give the Hellraiser a miss honestly unless you plan on upgrading amp straight away as well.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Ah so you're buying a guitar are you? Shit I thought you were just comparing for ****s sake in the original post. What's your current guitar mate? Though with the active pickups in the Hellraiser and you playing a line 6 spider you may want to give the Hellraiser a miss honestly unless you plan on upgrading amp straight away as well.

Im currently using a B.C. Rich Warlock. i like the guitar but i dont really like the sound too much (id like something rougher and deeper). Then again its been a while since i tuned it.

My crate sucks (partially because i messed it up a bit with a Bass) and my Line 6 always sounds like the effects are on which i find annoying. I Have considered buying a better amp but not for a while.
Quote by Bloodfalkon
Im currently using a B.C. Rich Warlock. i like the guitar but i dont really like the sound too much (id like something rougher and deeper). Then again its been a while since i tuned it.

My crate sucks (partially because i messed it up a bit with a Bass) and my Line 6 always sounds like the effects are on which i find annoying. I Have considered buying a better amp but not for a while.

If that's the case then new amp would be the first port of call to get a 'better' sound with your current gear. Which sort of does put you in the conundrum that everyone goes through every once in a while of new guitar or new amp, but you gotta make a choice and you need to place a priority on whether you want a 'better' sound with a mediocre guitar or a better playing guitar that still sounds mediocre.

Given that a C1 Hellraiser goes for around $700usd you may be able to get a good amp and you say you like your guitar so hopefully that will improve your sound.
If you want a better sound then you need a new amp, not a new guitar - everything's going to soud the same through what you've got.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I love the old vintage PS 10 Iceman models but I would get the Schecter over the newer Iceman models. You really need to try both out and see what's best for you though.

As far as the Line 6 goes it's fine as long as you learn how to use the settings. Although I rarely gig I do gig with my Spider II and it is fine, people are always telling me my rig sounds great. A lot of other guitarists ask me if I had my amp modified and I just show them what I do to get the sound I want. I always ask them if they ever tried a Line 6 and they say no because they heard they were bad. LOL It amazes me how gullible people can be. It's really easy to get great tone if you just take the time to learn the amp.

John
Quote by azn_guitarist25
If that's the case then new amp would be the first port of call to get a 'better' sound with your current gear. Which sort of does put you in the conundrum that everyone goes through every once in a while of new guitar or new amp, but you gotta make a choice and you need to place a priority on whether you want a 'better' sound with a mediocre guitar or a better playing guitar that still sounds mediocre.

Given that a C1 Hellraiser goes for around $700usd you may be able to get a good amp and you say you like your guitar so hopefully that will improve your sound.

Im not after a new guitar for just the sound. The Hellraiser and Iceman are my 2 favorite guitars of all time. I recently found a way for myself to come in possession of one of the 2 without worrying about the cost and dont know which i would pick. I posted here hoping for a general comparison of the two and a little opinion from other people who are more experienced with theses 2 guitars.

I would be willing to buy a new amp along with the guitar if i find my amps unsatisfactory but im not interested in just buying an amp since I can live with my current amps.

Quote by johnro6659
I love the old vintage PS 10 Iceman models but I would get the Schecter over the newer Iceman models. You really need to try both out and see what's best for you though.

As far as the Line 6 goes it's fine as long as you learn how to use the settings. Although I rarely gig I do gig with my Spider II and it is fine, people are always telling me my rig sounds great. A lot of other guitarists ask me if I had my amp modified and I just show them what I do to get the sound I want. I always ask them if they ever tried a Line 6 and they say no because they heard they were bad. LOL It amazes me how gullible people can be. It's really easy to get great tone if you just take the time to learn the amp.

John

I cant find a iceman anywhere. Otherwise I would try one out. How are the newer iceman models in your opinion?

I like the Line 6 but it just always has that effects sound. Some times i just want a clean sound. Otherwise I enjoy using it.
Quote by steven seagull
If you want a better sound then you need a new amp, not a new guitar - everything's going to soud the same through what you've got.

what amps do you recommend?
Quote by Bloodfalkon

If on the Line 6, it sounds like the effects are on, then try doing this:
choose your clean channel, then turn all the effects to full and then off knob off untill you get a complete clean sound. Then keep the clean channel button pressed for 2-3 seconds untill it starts to blink. That way the setting will get save and when you switch to the clean sound, the effects will be off. If it works, try this for all the amp models then.
Quote by marktremonti1
If on the Line 6, it sounds like the effects are on, then try doing this:
choose your clean channel, then turn all the effects to full and then off knob off untill you get a complete clean sound. Then keep the clean channel button pressed for 2-3 seconds untill it starts to blink. That way the setting will get save and when you switch to the clean sound, the effects will be off. If it works, try this for all the amp models then.

So i have to program the clean channel to get it totally clean?
The new Iceman with the reverse headstock and Dimarzio D-Activators is killer.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I've played the ICT700 and personally I like my IC200 better, at a fraction of the price, however they are now discontinued.

I didn't care for the set-neck on the ICT700, the thin bolt on on the 200 is much nicer.

I didn't play the 700 through an amp but I can say with certainty that it did have better pickups.

The TOM bridge/stoptail on the 200 is mucher better than the strange bridge on the 700.

In the end though it comes down to which you like better. You can still get great SOAD tones with a Hellraiser, so don;'t be afraid to buy it just because it's not an Iceman shape.
Quote by Bloodfalkon
So i have to program the clean channel to get it totally clean?

Yes. An its not difficult at all. just follow the steps i mentioned and hopefully you'll get the "clean" sound you want!
I recently got the new ICT700 Iceman, and it's awesome. It doesn't sound too good played through my Spider 3, but through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe it's got a surprisingly nice clean sound and a killer distorted sound. I haven't tried the Hellraiser, but I'd go with the Iceman.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Phil Collins
Well Iceman can freeze his enemies and create those cool ice bridge things that he rides around on. Hellraiser just has nails coming out of his face so I don't think he'd stand a chance against Iceman.

Oh lawds...

Anyway, personally I've never tried an Iceman, but Schechter's more metally guitars I've never enjoyed. I guess I play too many classic guitars...
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I like the Schecter I mean it's my dream guitar apart from the looks but it has splittable EMG's, mahogany body, locking tuners, set thru neck, what more could you want from a metal guitar. Well maybe a thinner neck but you get used to the neck.

The Iceman on the other hand has some Dimarzio pickups which probably wouldn't be as good as the EMG's, for metal at least. And the shape is really ugly.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30