I currently have a Schecter hellraiser. It does the job, but it irritates me sometimes. I have had it set up twice by two different techs and the action still can't get as low as my PRS SE. I tune it to D standard. I've tried various string gauges, and I am now up to .13 - .56. Although the strings are finally tight enough for me, the action is somewhat high and I would prefer to go down to like .12s or so (maybe I'm just doing something wrong?). I'm just not happy with the guitar, so I'm going to sell it. My PRS SE is set up for .11 - .49's in standard tuning, and it feels awesome.

I was considering going to more of a baritone guitar, like 26.5 - 27 inch scale at most. I want to play in D standard but not have the strings loose. I used to have a 7 string guitar that was 26.5 inch scale, and it felt awesome to play (aside from the super wide neck).

I've looked at all sorts of guitars so far. Agile, Carvin, Jackson, Ibanez. My price range right now is about 1,000 bucks, so hopefully I'll have a lot of options. Here are some requirements:

Mahogany body
Good tuners
NECK THROUGH is a must
24 frets
LOW action
good electronics
green colors are a plus.

Trem or no trem...don't care, this will always be in D standard. Trem might be a plus as long as it doesn't kill sustain.

Leaning towards an HSS configuration, but 2 humbuckers is cool too. The EMG's on my Schecter sounded pretty good, but I've heard a lot of really awesome passive pickups and honestly I wasn't really blown away by actives.

25.5 inch scale MINIMUM.

Guitars have been frustrating the hell out of me lately, haha.
Schecter Blackjack C-1 EX (BK Painkiller, DM Liquifire)
Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Fargen modded Peavey JSX, w/ KT77's
Hardwire DL-8 Delay
If you like your PRS SE right now, PRS does have a Baritone SE model for under $1000. I believe it has a 27 inch scale. Unfortunately, no neck through and I think it only has 22 frets. Worth checking out. That's all I can think of.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I know it's not a true neck thru but it's pretty close http://espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-mh.html LTD MH-1000.

Also
http://www.beyondeleven.com/Schecter-Devil-Custom-Dark-Green-Burst-Guitar-p/schecter-devil-custom-dgb.htm (ultra access is there to simulate the neck thru joint)

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Schecter-C-1-Classic-Deep-Sea-Green-DSG-Guitar-p/schecter-c-1-classic-dsg.htm (this one really does meet all of your demands)

Though honestly try and setup the action on your Hellraiser one more time. Go and check here and go through the instructions and check your neck bow.
MH-1000NT (LTD)

* Set-Thru
* 25.5” Scale
* Mahogany Body
* Quilted Maple Top
* Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* 42mm Earvana Compensated Nut
* Thin U Neck Contour
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Nickel Hardware
* ESP Locking Tuners
* Tonepros Locking TOM
* Seymour Duncan JB (B) /
59 (N) p.u. w/ 5-way Ultra Switch
* Finish: STG
- Ibanez RG7321 *Dimarzio D Activators*
- Jackson Dk 2 Dinky Transparent Red
- ENGL Powerball
- ENGL E412 SS
- Line 6 Pod Studio GX
- Ibanez TS9
- Boss NS2
defanatly PRS i just bought a SE singlecut $900 very good.
or look at the new santana
Quote by azn_guitarist25
I know it's not a true neck thru but it's pretty close http://espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-mh.html LTD MH-1000.

Also
http://www.beyondeleven.com/Schecter-Devil-Custom-Dark-Green-Burst-Guitar-p/schecter-devil-custom-dgb.htm (ultra access is there to simulate the neck thru joint)

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Schecter-C-1-Classic-Deep-Sea-Green-DSG-Guitar-p/schecter-c-1-classic-dsg.htm (this one really does meet all of your demands)

Though honestly try and setup the action on your Hellraiser one more time. Go and check here and go through the instructions and check your neck bow.

Damn, all 3 of those are awesome looking. When I was looking on the ESP website, I noticed they had a 27 inch scale model called the "MHB-401". Anyone have any experience with this? If it was green it would be perfect.
ISP Decimator
Hardwire DL-8 Delay
Have you considered BC Rich, they make alot of models neckthru. Plus most can be found cheap, since no one realizes how good the guitars are. Get NJ series, or if you can find a CS they've been going for cheap lately on eBay.
I think at this point, my best option is this:

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Schecter-Blackjack-C-1-EX-Baritone-Guitar-p/schecter-blackjack-c-1-ex.htm

I think the 26.5 inch scale would be just perfect for playing D standard with .11's. Thoughts? Are there any other guitars with 26.5 - 27 inch scale? If only there was a way to get this in that green color...I may just wait and see if Agile offers a new 27 inch 6 string.
ISP Decimator
Hardwire DL-8 Delay
You're doing something wrong. You should be able to get the action lower on your Schecter than the PRS. You mention going down from .13s because the action is too high but the string gauge has nothing to do with action. Just keep playing with it. You'll probably need some truss rod adjustments. Mick Mars played Les Pauls tuned to D Standard just fine so there shouldn't be a problem with scale. The lowest note is a D and that doesn't have a problem with being floppy on standard scale guitars. Baritones are normally tuned to BEADF#B. The extended scale is for more tension on lower notes like B and lower. D isn't low at all. While there's not a problem with playing a high tuning on a baritone, I just don't think it'll really solve your problem (whatever it is).
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
You're doing something wrong. You should be able to get the action lower on your Schecter than the PRS. You mention going down from .13s because the action is too high but the string gauge has nothing to do with action. Just keep playing with it. You'll probably need some truss rod adjustments. Mick Mars played Les Pauls tuned to D Standard just fine so there shouldn't be a problem with scale. The lowest note is a D and that doesn't have a problem with being floppy on standard scale guitars. Baritones are normally tuned to BEADF#B. The extended scale is for more tension on lower notes like B and lower. D isn't low at all. While there's not a problem with playing a high tuning on a baritone, I just don't think it'll really solve your problem (whatever it is).

I know what you're saying. It's just that I've had the thing set up by two guitar techs and also have tried to set it up myself, and I'm still not happy with it. I mentioned the 26.5 inch scale because I had a 7-string guitar that played pretty well with it. I think maybe its just because the thick strings are hindering my playing.
ISP Decimator
Hardwire DL-8 Delay