Whaddup ya'll

I'm new in this guitar thingy, I've never play a guitar in my life (matter of fact, I have never play any instrument whatsoever)

Well, the thing is that I have always wanted to learn how to play guitar but I never really have the time to even pick up a guitar.

Now that I have saved some money (not too much though) I want to get one, my budget is 200 maximum (LOL I know, hahaha I'm not trying to be cheap or anything but I'm in College and my tuition won't pay itself if you know what I mean )

Anyway.... after about a month of searching and hearing a lot of models play, I've found this guitar in this link right here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-PAC012DLX-Pacifica-HSS-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-103153664-i1166881.gc?CJAID=10449560&CJPID=1759905 one the most "acceptable" choice for a beginner quality speaking. I know there are a lot of other guitars out there that are way cheaper than this and even some of them being made by popular and recognized brands such as Fender and Le Paul but, to my ears they all (or at least the ones that I have seen play though ) sound like garbage. I know that such statement coming from someone that hasn't even played a guitar in his life, may sound like I'm being way too picky or something, but just 'cause I haven't play one yet doesn't mean I have bad taste.

Beside the gorgeous killing design, what really got me into the guitar was the tag price for such quality. SO to the point What do you guys thinks about the Yamaha Pacifica 012 DLX ??? Do you know any other great quality guitar within about the same price or lower? Should I get this or is there something better out there for a beginner like me ?

I'm Open to any suggestion.

by the way, I know pick a guitar has a lot to do with the style of music you like so I'm gonna list a couple of artist/bands I often listen to, just so you can have an idea of what type of guitar I should get:

* in no particular order
Graham Colton Band (the band, not Graham Colton Solo)
Mute Math
Blue October
Saving Abel
Michelle Branch
LifeHouse
The Airborne Toxic Event
A Change of Pace
Anberlin
Colective Soul
Nada Surf
Secondhand Serenade
The Killers
Breaking Benjamin
Bryan Adams
The Cab
Collective Soul
Crossfade
Fuel
Jimmy Eat World
Imogen Heap
Incubus
Jack's Mannequin
Jeremy Camp
Lupe Fiasco
Millen Collin
Nickle Creek
The Offspring
Weezer
Rascal Flatts
Relient K
Rise Against
Saliva
Sanctus Real
Scorpion
Frank Sinatra
Sean Paul
Seether
Serj Tankian
Shayne Ward
Skillet
SR-71
Steve Perry
Switch foot
Third eye blind
3 days grace
Vertical Horizon
Jay-z

and forget to say how much I hate metal
Last edited by jay001 at Nov 6, 2009,
OH, and I forgot to mention, I'm want to do this as a hobby I have no professional aspirations whatsoever nor do I want to play in a band, it's more about me relaxing a little bit by myself, and finding something challenging. So I don't one of those 3k dollars guitar, I don't need them for the purpose I want to play (seriously though, why would I give 3 thousand dollars to play a guitar in my bedroom twice a week )

Also, I'm already 19, so wouldn't that be too old already to pick up the guitar?? most people I know that play the guitar started really young like when the were like 9 or something, How hard would it be for a 19 year old dude to learn the guitar ??? I mean, I know an not technically old but compare to the age most people start playing the guitar I'm not too young either, you know. That is one of my major concerns, specially since I would only be able to practice 3 days a week (and I can' afford a teacher)
Whoa...

So:

- If you think a $180 Yamaha Pacifica sounds better than a Les Paul or a Strat then, sorry to be the one to say, you do have bad taste. That's alright though, as long as you enjoy your tone! Anyways, Les Pauls and Strats (good ones anyways) cost quite a bit more than your $200 budget would allow.

- I started playing guitar at 20. There is no right age to begin playing. Yeah, the people who started at 9 are going to be better at 19 than you'll be, having just started out. But playing an instrument isn't about competing with other people.

- About the guitar: Yeah, sure. Some people stick with their starter guitars for years, some only a few week. I'm one of the latter. I played my Epiphone LP Jr for about two weeks before buying a G-400. Either way, Yamaha guitars are typically solid enough to give you a good introduction to playing guitar. If you can swallow the price then go for it.

- Jay-Z on a guitar hey?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
- Jay-Z on a guitar hey?

why not http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7B6kpYsGoU

sounds good (well, kinda) to me

by I was compering the guitar with The CHEAPO UNDER 200 Strats (that are made be Squire I think) not actually the standard Fender ones

but anyway ch0 if you don't like this guitar what other gt. under 200 would you recommend to me?
Quote by jay001
why not http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7B6kpYsGoU

sounds good (well, kinda) to me
Yeah, I wanted to mock. But that actually sounds good.

Quote by jay001
by I was compering the guitar with The CHEAPO UNDER 200 Strats (that are made be Squire I think) not actually the standard Fender ones
Ah, my bad. Though, in that price range, nothing is going to really sound great. The best of the low-end is still low-end.

Quote by jay001
but anyway ch0 if you don't like this guitar what other gt. under 200 would you recommend to me?
Under $200? Do you know anyone who has experience playing guitar? If so I'd suggest going used. $200 in the used market can get you a pretty good mid-range axe if you're patient and savvy.

If you don't have said friend (you do need someone who knows their stuff to come give the guitar a once over) then I'm not really sure what to suggest. Maybe an AL-2000 from www.rondomusic.com. They aren't superb guitars or anything, but for $200 you get something that'll trump a $500+ Epiphone. I know everyone's going to chime in on "try before you buy" and "how will he know if it feels right" but, really, when you're brand new at guitar you don't really have the experience to make those calls.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Speaking as someone whos first guitar was a Pacifica 012, i can safely say that it would be a very good choice for a beginner. A year on, im still playing mine and loving it.

As ch0 says you could probably get a sweeter deal if you go used, but since youre completely new to guitar id play it safe. The 012 will make learning enjoyable, it plays fairly nicely, the sound is decent, and you wont want/need to upgrade for a while. If you like how it sounds then go for it - you cant go wrong with an 012...

One thing though, do you have an amplifier? If not, is that $200 going to pay for a guitar AND amp, or do you have a separate budget for an amp?
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Quote by barfrog

One thing though, do you have an amplifier? If not, is that $200 going to pay for a guitar AND amp, or do you have a separate budget for an amp?

GOSH !!!!!!!!!!! I totally overlooked that LOL, Damn I'm such an idiot

I got 200 for both the guitar and the amp, and The 012 Pacifica is about 170

well, unless I can ("SOMEHOW") find an Amp for 30 buck, I guess I won't be able to afford the guitar

Damn !!!!!! how could I forget such basic thing as the Amp

any where I can check some used amplifier online ?? something like an used Roland Micro Cube I guess ?????????/
a 30$ amp is going to sound like gas after eating spicey tacos.

Save up more untill you have 300$ and get a peavey vyper..
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Wow. This thread's opening posts couldn't have been much; if any better!

And a 300$ vypyr isn't necessary, the 15w model will suffice for a beginner who doesn't want to gig/practice with a band.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by CKYIbanezParker
a 30$ amp is going to sound like gas after eating spicey tacos.

This.

If i were you id save up another $100-150 (after all, Christmas is around the corner...), go to your nearest guitar store, listen to the Pacifica played through a bunch of 15w amps and decide which one you like the sound of.

Take someone along who plays guitar if you can, because without any experience itll be difficult for you to tell which ones sound like ass and which ones dont. For example you might love how a Line 6 Spider sounds and be drawn in by all its little features, when infact most people who've been playing more than a year will tell you that a Spider has fairly poor tone.

But its very important that you purchase the one that YOU like the sound of, after all its your money, and youre the one whos gonna be using it. Whatever happens, if your still into guitar after a year youll wanna be upgrading anyway.

By all means listen to advice, but purchase the amp that you like...

If i had to recommend you a couple of models, take a good look at the Vox VT-15 and the Peavey Vyper. But like i said, try out as many 15w amps as possible

Good luck!!
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by barfrog

If i had to recommend you a couple of models, take a good look at the Vox VT-15 and the Peavey Vyper. But like i said, try out as many 15w amps as possible

Good luck!!

Thanks a lot to all of you guys, you can't imagine how helpful you guys have being so far.

but barfrog aren't those amps suppose to be used to play metal ???
I've heard that amps that where made to play a particular type of music generally don't some good when you try to play something different

Form the bands/artists that I listen to (the ones that I listed before) what type of amps do you guys think I should get ???

how would you describe/name my musical preferences?? I think is kinda mellow punkish but I don't know.

any amp that would adapt to my musical taste

LOL sorry if I'm asking to many questions, it's just that I really don't know anything about guitars, and I don't know anyone who play it that I can ask question
Well i own a Vox VT-30 (exactly the same as the VT-15, just louder), and its good for just about anything apart from heavier metal, though you can get a decent metal sound with the right settings. The Vypyr is much better at handling the heavy stuff.

Both are modelling amps, meaning they use digital techonlogy to recreate the sounds of a selection of famous amps, aswell as having a big range of inbuilt effects. You can pretty much play any genre on the VTs and the Vypyrs, by using the right settings. This isnt hard since you can just play around with the controls until you find a sound you like, then you just store it in the amps memory at the press of a button. Simple!!

Id describe your musical preference as diverse, which is why i suggest a modelling amp - as i said you can play pretty much any genre on a modelling amp, anything from soft jazz to heavy metal, and everything in between.

As for asking lots of questions, well thats what these forums are for. Especially since youre just starting out, its good to ask as many questions as possible so your money isnt wasted and your learning experience is a good one!!

As i said, save up another $150 or so, and go buy the amp that you like the sound of. The guy in your local guitar store will most likely recommend one of the amps ive suggested anyway, but dont be pushed into buying anything you dont want. One tip ive got is to leave your money at home, go down to the guitar store and listen to the amps. This way youll be able to listen to everything in your price range, and be able to go away and make a final decision before parting with your cash
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4