Okay, so I'm looking into music journalism as a career.
Is there anybody in the Pit with any experience with this? I need some information on subjects I'll have to do in yr11-12, and basically just a run-over of what it's all about?
Much appreciated

There's blood in the water
Sinking, always sinking

English language probably. Try and get writing ANYWHERE.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
Try and get writing ANYWHERE.

I agree with this. 'Music journalism' may sound ideal but there's probably a lot more to it - and a lot more involved in getting there - than is easily perceived. Writing is a very competitive area to get into, and so English skills along with creativity, originality and flair, I'd say are essential.

If there is a journalism course take it, alternatively advanced (and extension) English would be an idea. Keep your options open though, what you want to be will likely change as you get a bit older.
Thanks guys for all your help.
So what your saying is when (or if) I start my career, I should just write as a normal journalist for a while and then move into music?

There's blood in the water
Sinking, always sinking

Quote by qwerty_555
Thanks guys for all your help.
So what your saying is when (or if) I start my career, I should just write as a normal journalist for a while and then move into music?

you should cover a large area at least for the beginning, till Rolling Stones start looking for you
TS are you aware of how competitive it is? I know someone in music journalism, he's got a degree from the University of Warwick, he's written a book about Pulp, he occasionally writes freelance for Mojo. Sounds great? He's in his thirties, he lives with his mum, earns basically nothing, (Mojo don't pay him, or many other freelancers as they are all willing to do it for experience, for free) and is looking into getting another job now. I'm not saying don't go for it, but it may take you awhile to get to where you want to be.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Study English, get involved with writing articles and reviews of albums gigs etc as soon as possible. My friends brother works for a games magazine and although he has a good degree, he got it because he had worked with a bunch of student papers while doing it.
Yeah, pretty much the English based subjects.

I agree with Media as well, but stick with it, even if there are some shit periods, I know a girl, went to uni to be a journalist, then got an internship in Germany for a while, but had such shit there, but she stuck with it and is going strong for now
Journalism degrees are worth practically nothing in journalism these days- I know a fair few journalist students who are having to do an English postgrad degree so they have a decent academic standing. Work up a portfolio in the meantime of EVERYTHING you get published.

It isn't all fairytale "oooh, I'll get to go see gigs and write about them and get paid!" Like any career, it sucks in the beginning, and it'll more than likely be one of two jobs so you can actually live.