ok first, did i spell the thing correct?

i searched various sites of sales but came with nearly no results.

now my questions is; Are there any good Attenuators* you people would recommend?

im planning to run it in with a vox AC30 but i will probably only keep the attenuator for bedrooms practise.

*i held no responsibility for the correctness of this shitty word.

in advance i like to thank everyone who helpes me with their knowledge and wisdom.

yours faithfully

Moi, me, ich, ikke, THANKS
Last edited by wolvenrick at Nov 6, 2009,
yes you spelt it right and yes i would also like to have info about this...
most attenuators work like this:

Head > attenuator > cabinet. if you plan on using it with a combo, you either have to have a combo that has a speaker input jack and output jack and place it between the two, or mod the speaker with an input jack.

that being said, if you have this or plan to do this, then i suggest you look at the weber attenuators, they've worked great for me and even their biggest model costs less than THD's Hot Plate.
Quote by andresmirt
most attenuators work like this:

Head > attenuator > cabinet. if you plan on using it with a combo, you either have to have a combo that has a speaker input jack and output jack and place it between the two, or mod the speaker with an input jack.

that being said, if you have this or plan to do this, then i suggest you look at the weber attenuators, they've worked great for me and even their biggest model costs less than THD's Hot Plate.

Sometimes the question of local availability of the product is a key purchase decision as well.

I have a THD Hotplate... its pretty solid if you want to bring your volume down a couple of notches to get the power tubes cooking. However, if you want to get a tube amp down to bedroom levels... it the tone colouration is very distinct. I can hear the difference like night and day.

If you are expecting the attenuator to be like a volume pedal... well you're gonna be disappointed. Tone loss is inevitable when you're getting a tube amp to bedroom levels.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Sometimes the question of local availability of the product is a key purchase decision as well.

I have a THD Hotplate... its pretty solid if you want to bring your volume down a couple of notches to get the power tubes cooking. However, if you want to get a tube amp down to bedroom levels... it the tone colouration is very distinct. I can hear the difference like night and day.

If you are expecting the attenuator to be like a volume pedal... well you're gonna be disappointed. Tone loss is inevitable when you're getting a tube amp to bedroom levels.

Pretty much this^!
I have a Hot Plate too, & even at the minimum attenuation setting of -4dB, it sucks the edge & live feel from the tone (I've tried it on 5 different high-end amps). For bedroom levels of practicing, it's a ridiculous waste of your tubes lifespan. A small practice amp would be MUCH more effective for less than the cost of a Hot Plate.
If you really need the wide open sound at bedroom volumes, you'll need to re-amp your amp into a separate power amp, but that becomes complicated & expensive, but EXTREMELY badass.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
look into weber attenuators as stated above

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.