I play in a band and have a massive problem with my soloing, in that I just go with the feel of it, how I feel on the day and what I feel like playing. Which is all well and good but we're looking to record our songs and I don't really want to turn up and play something different to what we've recorded.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could learn a solo that I've played? I thought about videoing my fingers as I play but I'm not sure how useful that would be
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Just write a main solo for the song, sit and jam around with the band or on your own, and get a basic solo to record. live, use that solo as the basics and improvise from there
I have this exact same problem. What I do is just compile the main riffs and improve in between them. It also helps to go and take the time to TAB out your solos so you can see them and try o learn them exactly how you recorded them.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
How about remembering what it sounds like then tabbing it out?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I always tab my original material when I'm trying to memorize the detailed parts. I like doing it in guitarpro because it lets me mess around with the song and make changes and hear how they sound at times when it's not possible to use a real guitar
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Quote by RedHtCurryPaste
Does some sort of guitar auto-tab software exist?

No. Its impossible to do anywhere near reliably unless you managed to use midi.
What Steven Seagull said, You really should be able to remember what it sounded like and tab it from that if you have your guitar handy.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Last edited by ApeWeevil at Nov 15, 2009,
I usually record something improvised, then listen back to it to pick out what I really liked. Usually once I play it back, I'm able to at least somewhat figure out what I was doing at that point. I find that way works pretty well for me.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"