Would the neck of my Vintage VJ6EMR guitar break or be destroyed if I put on super heavy strings so I could detune as low as an 8 string guitar? The thickest strig would either be the A or D string from a bass strings set and all the other strings would be a set of 7 string guitar strings.

I have had a set of 58's before ad the neck was ok but these strings would be taking it to a new level, something like an 85 or a 67.

If I was going to do this I would be blocking the floyd rose off, I do this most of the time because It causes me a lot of trouble.
I'd strongly advise against doing anything that daft.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Can you do it? Yes. But it's not gonna be drop and go. Make sure you're pretty committed to this, because it'll mean some permanent modifications to your current setup (like recutting the nut to accommodate for the larger gauge strings). If you are, then your best bet is to take your guitar to a shop and get them to do it all for you.

However, it won't be an easy task, even for them: it'll involve truss rod adjustments, recutting the nut, possible releveling and crowning of the frets and adjusting the string height to be pretty high.

You know what, just buy a bass, it'll cost about that much anyways
I'm guessing that would be a stupid amount of force against the neck (more so than it's used to) and it would probably snap like a twig.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you want an 8 string guitar get a 8 string guitar. Your not gonna be able to convert a 6 string to this purpose. Your gonna have to drill some of the tuners out to accept strings that size, as well as modify the nut and maybe even where they pass thru or clamp in the bridge. May not have the range of adjustment on the truss rod you need. Then when all done not be happy with how it plays or get the result you were hoping for.
Quote by Tackleberry
If you want an 8 string guitar get a 8 string guitar. Your not gonna be able to convert a 6 string to this purpose. Your gonna have to drill some of the tuners out to accept strings that size, as well as modify the nut and maybe even where they pass thru or clamp in the bridge. May not have the range of adjustment on the truss rod you need. Then when all done not be happy with how it plays or get the result you were hoping for.

8 string guitars cost too much to buy, I can't afford to by anything let alone an 8 string guitar.
Your neck will be fine but there are some permanent changes you'll need to make like a new nut. The lower tuning will counteract the heavier strings. You probably won't be able to intonate it properly though. It will also be very floppy. 8-strings aren't any different from 6-strings. They sometimes use 2 truss rods or different constructions for 2 the 2 extra strings, not the actual tuning. They also don't use different tuners. The lowest saddle also moves further back to achieve better intonation.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 6, 2009,