ok I have a crazy dream of bringing my music to a global level. Thing is, idk where to start. I live in the philippines and i don't just want to tour and sell albums around here, I want it worldwide. so like, would i be better off getting signed here and the label touring my band worldwide, or go live in america and get a label there?
Worry about making great music before any of that...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Make it big in your country first.

You will need some talent/good music. Either that or be prepared to sell every ounce of your dignity.
It's not really about making great music anymore its about making marketable music.
Quote by josh999x
It's not really about making great music anymore its about making marketable music.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
dude just pretend i got the most marketable, bestest music in the planet and answer my question
Quote by josh999x

good music is marketable, the thing is though, not all marketable music is good.
look, if marketable music doesn't even need to be good music, and if good music is marketable, then like it's easy to get big if you got talent
America, no doubt. Go to LA or NY and make a name for yourself, if you're good and you make yourself noticed, you'll get picked up soon enough.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
You need to have charisma. (not be confused aesthetic appearance, though related)

Like you got to talk passionate about music, a bit of humour helps as well, and give off a positive vibe.

Most people listen music to feel better, and need an icon that they can look up to.

This is backed up by the fact that everyone is so defensive about an artist being better then the other, because they see that as an ideal.

Make people see you as something they find interesting, both as persona and ur music.

Find the balance between confident and cocky.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 6, 2009,
arite cuz my plan is bring my bandmates to the states and live in some shitty apartment with oddjobs paying the rent and gig and talk to record execs and show them our songs (and live show) until we get lucky. Is that the right way to do it?
Quote by Cheesepuff
arite cuz my plan is bring my bandmates to the states and live in some shitty apartment with oddjobs paying the rent and gig and talk to record execs and show them our songs (and live show) until we get lucky. Is that the right way to do it?

Well, if you want to do it try it.

No harm done in trying.

Appear confident during ur shows, give it ur best, and if u meet people in the business "play along" and show confidence in urself AND ur music.

Remember, it's not about if ur (musical) ideas are good, but to convince people they are good.

It's how people like Bruce Springsteen got big, and how presidents were/are chosen.

Talent offcourse helps, but the former is something you can concretely work on.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 6, 2009,
ok next question then, how hard is it to get one of those visas where I can live there indefinitely?
Quote by Cheesepuff
ok next question then, how hard is it to get one of those visas where I can live there indefinitely?

I don't live in the states, but I believe it takes quite some time.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Get some backing in your own country first- my record label is based in Finland, and they want to market our music over in Europe more than the UK, but we live here, and it's good practice to lampoon around your home country first before you take things to the global market. At least if you've given it a damn good shot where you are now and don't enjoy the work, you can say you've tried and cut your losses. At the end of the day, being a touring/recording musician is a job, and you'll find you work much longer days than many other jobs. Do you have a backup plan? Are you able to save up enough capital to keep you on your feet over in the US in case things a) go horribly wrong or b) to even get your foot in in terms of accomodation, jobs and food.

That's assuming a label is interested in you. Otherwise, it's a case of myspace, facebook etc- network. Save up money, take a long weekend or so over wherever and get onto gigs with local bands.

It's great having the crazy dreams, but it's hard, hard work. Musicians are poor by rule of thumb, so it's difficult and takes time. We spent over £200 just to play a gig that we wouldn't get paid for- that's the kind of commitment you need to be putting in at minimum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Get some backing in your own country first- my record label is based in Finland, and they want to market our music over in Europe more than the UK, but we live here, and it's good practice to lampoon around your home country first before you take things to the global market. At least if you've given it a damn good shot where you are now and don't enjoy the work, you can say you've tried and cut your losses. At the end of the day, being a touring/recording musician is a job, and you'll find you work much longer days than many other jobs.

That's assuming a label is interested in you. Otherwise, it's a case of myspace, facebook etc- network. Save up money, take a long weekend or so over wherever and get onto gigs with local bands.

It's great having the crazy dreams, but it's hard, hard work. Musicians are poor by rule of thumb, so it's difficult and takes time. We spent over £200 just to play a gig that we wouldn't get paid for- that's the kind of commitment you need to be putting in at minimum.

so ur saying that my band should sign a deal in my country, then go to the US after some years of practice?
Quote by Kensai
Worry about making great music before any of that...

Win.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
Quote by Cheesepuff
so ur saying that my band should sign a deal in my country, then go to the US after some years of practice?

Or a nearby country. At least my label is also in the EU, so that makes a few things easier for us. The problem with a foreign label is the level of promotional support- they may not have a lot of contacts etc in your country. Secondly, any half decent label in the US will most likely want to see you first- what's the point in uprooting to the US, then practice your live show? If you aren't making money, you're spending money, as they say, and that's going to hit you twice as hard in the US as a musician and an immigrant.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Or a nearby country. At least my label is also in the EU, so that makes a few things easier for us. The problem with a foreign label is the level of promotional support- they may not have a lot of contacts etc in your country. Secondly, any half decent label in the US will most likely want to see you first- what's the point in uprooting to the US, then practice your live show? If you aren't making money, you're spending money, as they say, and that's going to hit you twice as hard in the US as a musician and an immigrant.

ok so what we'll do is we'll talk to a local label and get signed (we got it covered) , then like years later when we're huge locally, move to the US and show 'em evidence of our ownage in our country?
Quote by Cheesepuff
ok so what we'll do is we'll talk to a local label and get signed (we got it covered) , then like years later when we're huge locally, move to the US and show 'em evidence of our ownage in our country?

Pretty much. The US is tough to break- there are a million and one bands that will be trying for the same thing you are, so get yourself an edge. I'm not saying don't do it, but prepare for it as best you can.
Quote by Cheesepuff

Nobody is gonna care about a huge local band from the Philippine's...how old are you? It sounds like you have really no idea how the music industry works. Think of how many bands move to LA, get a shit apartment, all work terrible jobs, and get signed to a major or even indie? .0034%...
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Nobody is gonna care about a huge local band from the Philippine's...how old are you? It sounds like you have really no idea how the music industry works. Think of how many bands move to LA, get a shit apartment, all work terrible jobs, and get signed to a major or even indie? .0034%...

By getting off their arses and making a name for themselves in the Philippines, they'll be showing a track record of sales, fan base etc. As a label, who would you rather sign? The no-name band that moved to LA, or the band that can slap down a press pack filled with dates, recordings, reviews etc? Doesn't matter in which country. With that experience, they'll know more about the industry and give themselves a bigger chance. Luck has a lot to do with things in the music industry. It also takes a f*ck load of hard work. By putting hard work into things in their own country, they will certainly get themselves a reputation as a hard working band that has hopefully proven themselves successful. And reputation means so, so much in the industry.
Not trying to burst your bubble but i feel you're thinking way ahead of yourself.
Even if you do get signed and possibly make it big in your country, America is a completely different story.

My advice is have a long hard think about your plans.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Diet_coke_head

I know i sound like a random immature kid with big dreams. But damn im gonna go for it and even if I don't get anywhere close ill be happy. So I'm just asking for logistics help so i do this right.

and think how many bands suck ass vs. ones that sound good.

no recordings yet, but ill put it on my profile when i find mics to record with.
Quote by RG5EX1
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

That's what it's been about since record labels have been in existence, though. Marketable sounds.

Elvis didn't make earth shatter music. He made musid the teens/younger people would live.

The Beatles REALLY didn't innovate jack shit in the days pre-Revolver. They were a boy band, to be honest. It's fantastic music, I'm not saying otherwise, but it's the truth.

AC/DC are also terribly guilty of being a marketable band, as can most of the huge rock bands from the 70s and 80s.

There are only a handful of artists through history that the general consensus will call "legendary" that weren't much more than bands that made music that labels saw as a cash point. Not downing them, it's just the truth.

For every one MC5 fan, there are 300 Hendrix fans. For every Melvins fan, there are 500 Nirvana fans. You can't change that.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Good luck man, I know how you feel.. The music industry in southeast asia is total crap and theres less than a handful of bands who have actually made it anywhere.