I'm thinking of buying one, I like to play mostly rock which I think if doing more of a classical sound, the acoustic will sound better and if i want to do heavier stuff I'll be able to plug it in and try that out. (Correct me if i'm wrong there)

I was hoping to go about 300ish if I can, no more than 500.

I think that I might want to try out an epiphone dot
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_the_dot_eb_ch.htm
Or an ibanez af95-vls
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_af95vls.htm

If anyone has any suggestions or feedback on any of the guitars above it would be appreciated

Thanks, peace.
if you wanna do heavier stuff on them, i'd be careful about the feed back it'll give off with any amount of gain. even if you mute the strings. so semi-acoustics aren't really great for anything heavier than low gain stuff. it also gets muddy too.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
The Epiphone that you chose is a "Semi-Hollow." There is a block of wood that runs down from the neck all the way through the body. The Ibanez has a completely hollow body. The Epi is going to be more versatile as far as styles of music. Feedback is more of an issue with the Ibanez, but many hard rock musicians use Gibson 335 style guitars (see Dave Grohl and Chris Shiflett of the Foo Fighters).
Another Ibanez that you should check out is the AS73 this is a really lovely semi acoustic which is more in the same price range of the Epi, the finish and the sound are far higher than you could wish for in a guitar of this price range. You must check them out. As far as playing a semi as an acoustic guitar, they aren't very loud, generally not a great deal louder than any other unplugged electric.

The semi's can be a bit of a problem when playing very loud as far as feedback is concerned, however, this is just something that you'll learn to overcome.
Quote by randomhero93
if you wanna do heavier stuff on them, i'd be careful about the feed back it'll give off with any amount of gain. even if you mute the strings. so semi-acoustics aren't really great for anything heavier than low gain stuff. it also gets muddy too.

None of this is true. Semi-hollow guitars tend to be very clear in my experience, not muddy, and they don't feed back easily. Thats the entire point of making it SEMI-hollow instead of fully hollow, the solid block in the middle of the body prevents most unwanted feedback. They aren't really suited for some of the most heavy, totally tone-dead genres of music out there, but they do well for anything else (including some rather heavy music). They can feed back earlier than a solid-body guitar on higher-gain songs, but it tends to be rather controllable and musical. Try one out, TS. If you like it, you like it. They can sound quite different from solid-body guitars but I quite like them.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Nov 6, 2009,
I wasn't looking for stuff like napalm death to play with it, just hard rock and punk was more the idea, thanks for comments guys.
There's also the Dot Studio, which is the exact same as the Dot but with a satin finish, a slightly hotter bridge pickup and slightly simpler controls (which are also spaced slightly closer to the pickups), which many people (myself included, I previously owned one) find are all improvements over the normal Dot as well as the fact the Studio version costs less. The only thing that really is a negative about it is it has no inlays on the neck, which some people find awkward to use, though personally I got used to it very quickly and could take to it just as easily as any neck with inlays.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I like the epiphone dot, my uncle plays live on one of them are they are amazing. In your price budget aswell for an epiphone dot studio, probably your best bet for a good semi acoustic
Or there are a fair few Ibanez guitars that are semi-acoustic (i think) that look good on the websites ive seen em on
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp