Does it make much difference switching from a guitar with dot inlays on every other fret to a guitar with only a 12th fret inlays.

Is it really confusing or does it just come naturally?
Xbox Live GT: A7X Dan 09

Only Playing Gears Of War 2 ATM
there are side dots, or there should be on the top of the neck when looking down, but you shouldn't really be looking down anyway. its not that much of a change.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I was suprised at how easy it was TBH, I didnt even notice myself looking at the side dots.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i guess after playing it for a day or two you wont even notice they arent there right?

Definately.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by a7x dan
i guess after playing it for a day or two you wont even notice they arent there right?

less than this, actually.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
You shouldn't ever be using the fretboard inlays to begin with. At most, you might want to use the side dots as a reference - but after you've been playing for even just a couple of years you should be comfortable playing without looking at any inlays at all.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ive only been playing 8months

Quote by MrFlibble
You shouldn't ever be using the fretboard inlays to begin with. At most, you might want to use the side dots as a reference - but after you've been playing for even just a couple of years you should be comfortable playing without looking at any inlays at all.

So when you start out, you should just automatically know what fret youre at? Imagine that youre on a dimly lit stage at a gig. When youre playing a song that has alot of position changes, its going to be alot easier to look at the fretboard inlays than the tiny side inlays.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
So when you start out, you should just automatically know what fret youre at? Imagine that youre on a dimly lit stage at a gig. When youre playing a song that has alot of position changes, its going to be alot easier to look at the fretboard inlays than the tiny side inlays.
By the time you're good enough to be playing gigs you should be able to play with your eyes closed and blindfolded. There is nothing worse than a guitar or bass player standing there looking down at their hands as they play. You don't see singers with lyric sheets or drummers with a metronome.

Also, the first line of your post took what I said to a wild extreme that I never took it to nor implied. That's not helpful and will only confuse people.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Not quite, a singer with a lyric sheet is like a guitarist with sheet music, not looking at their guitar.

You can still check quickly every now and then, especially if making a big jump, I dont think its a big deal if a professional does it, I'm sure most do.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
oh jeez!
whats this? if you ever look at the neck you're not a real guitarist?

you're allowed to look at where your hands are.

But if you know your own material you don't have to. Its not that difficult to change to a no inlay guitar. after a while of playing your hands fall into the right position, just like playing piano.
i've had two acoustics that only had a 12th fret inlay and had no problem. i also had an ibanez electric that had barbed wire inlay running all the way down the fretboard. oh and my gibson bfg had no inlays on the top at all, just side dots. it's really not too bad.

and with enough practice you'll barely notice having no top dots and you'll only glance at the side dots. thats where i'm at now. no problems for me. acoustic is the most confusing though, since i'm normally playing that while sitting and not standing. when i'm sitting i'm more likely to try to see the top than the side of the neck.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
You don't really need fret markers on the fret board at all I think it's more for looks than anything else. The markers on the side of the fret are more useful but like a lot of guys say once you learn you just get the feel of it. I am at the point I rarely look down at what I am doing it just comes naturally. For now you might need to look more often but the longer you play the less you'll need to look at what your doing.

John
I started on a guitar with no fretboard markers. It's not so tuff.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I was noticing lately that I don't lie the sharkfin inlays on my jackson, they look good but I feel them when I'm bending, my next guitar will just have dots.
most of the time I feel the length of the wood inbetween frets or remmember where I am. If not I just look at the edge of the frets in the corner of my eye.

It's in the fingers dude.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
I guess I really suck then. I need the fret markers to get a reference of where I am and where I want to go when playing leads. I guess when I am playing chords I don't look at the neck much (especially if I am singing), but for leads I definately need the fret markers.
I stepped upon the platform, the man gave me the news
He said, "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"
Last edited by paranoid70 at Nov 6, 2009,
Playing with no inlays is better than playing with a vine of life or razorwire inlays.

Although I love fancy inlays, I admit they are distracting.
I don't know I've tried Michael romeo's betcha can't play this on my capa and I often found myself missing the tapped 18th or 17th fret sometimes if I had maybe just a dot there then that would of been pretty much perfect for me. I reckon inlays are pretty good if you are doing a fair amount of tapping but if you play just normally then you should have no problems without the inlays on the fretboard.

In fact my teachers classical guitar didn't have side dots or inlays and that was still easy to find myself around if I played on it for a while so you can definitely get away with it mate.
I think it would be better practice to have a guitar without inlays. It will teach you to remmember more and learn your way around so that you can play on just about any guitar.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!