If I wanted to have a combination of Molotov Solution, The Crimson Armada, and Veil of Maya, what tuning do you think would be the best? I figured since drop A is so low it would make leads sound muddy and if it was in Drop C, the rhythm wouldn't be as heavy as I want it to be. I was recording with my band and the guy who was recording us said that I shouldn't play in drop B because it is a half step down and I got confused. Any help?
Drop Z with barbed wire.

Or seriously try Drop A# , since all the other seem to dissappoint you. Or maybe, try to drop very low, and the other guitarist keep his guitar high enough for the lead, or vice-versa. Like Drop A for you and Drop D for him, I don't know, standard E is doing all the job I need.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
B standard.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Tuning has no difference in how heavy you will sound, just how low or high the notes are...
Tuning, as has been said, doesn't define how heavy something is: the style of writing does.

But if you want low tuned sounds with high leads, why not get a seven string? Get the low B and high E, could even drop the bottom string to get drop A with 6 higher strings still in E standard for the leads.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Tuning doesn't really affect how brutal you guitar can get (gojira plays D standard but they are heavier than hell), it characterize your style so it's just about the series of notes you play
If you fear solos would be too muddy using a dropB/dropA tuning than use an extended range guitar (7 or 8 string)
Play in whatever tuning you want. Tuning doesn't define the style.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Whats wrong with good 'ol standard and half-step down?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
It might not be the most important factor, but a lower tuning certainly can't hurt when trying to achieve brutality...

I've never tried anything lower than drop C myself, I think you'd need a specially set up guitar for anything lower than that, as the strings just get too loose on a normally set up guitar, even with high gauge strings.

One thing I like to do when playing death metal is experiment with alternate tunings, such as CGDGBE, or CGCGCE a la Devin Townsend. This solves the problem of muddy leads, and I also find it helps you to come up with riffs you wouldn't or couldn't have done otherwise.
You dont need uber-low tuning for heaviness. Death and Necrophagist use(d) D standard and theyre heavy. Tuning low just means that you can hit lower notes. An A is still going to sound like an A whether youre in standard or drop F.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
The "half step down" he was referring to was probably the fact that Drop B is, in fact, drop C tuned down half a step. Essentially this would mean everything is offset by one fret from drop C. I guess this might confuse you if you memorize songs based on the fret markers. Maybe that's what he meant.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Quote by winnipegbassist
Maybe you should listen to good music and play in standard or d standard

I'll get right on that.