i accidently got permanent marker on my les paul today

tried fast fret on it , its got some of it off but you can still see it clearly

iss there anything i can clean it with , that is likely to remove the rest
Sperm, but seriously I have no idea. Anything I have thought of could jack with the finish. I would try to scrub on it some more with fast fret. Good luck.
Last edited by lmihay at Nov 6, 2009,
Assuming it's an Epiphone/Agile/Vintage/Tokai/ESP/etc Les Paul, which has a poly finish, you could try putting a little bit of lighter fluid on some cotton wool (or a cotton bud if it's only a tiny, tiny mark), gently rub that on, let it sit for about forty seconds, then dab a tiny bit more fluid on and it might wipe off, if the marker is fairly fresh.

That will only work with some cheaper perminant marker though, and if it's been left on the guitar for more than 24 hours, you're not going to get that off withou damaging the finish of the guitar more.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i've seen a friend of mine get sharpie off things by holding a can of axe real close and spraying it and then wiping it off. it worked really well. but i havent seen it done on a guitar, might be worth a try.

EDIT: i actually heard that rubbing alcohol or any type of alcohol will take permanent marker off
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
have you tried scratching it off with your nail? Assuming it's a thick finish, you don't have to worry about damaging it.
"Mr Clean Magic Eraser" Works like a charm, just use it dry.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
"Mr Clean Magic Eraser" Works like a charm, just use it dry.

I would use this as a last resort. It's abrasive.
Quote by cranium2001
I would use this as a last resort. It's abrasive.

Use the White side it isn't abrasive. I had a whole picture drawn on one of my guitars in silver permanent marker, I used one of those and it came off fine with no ill affects.
If you are worried at all try it out on something else first and see how it goes.
Quote by GOLDIE93
Use the White side it isn't abrasive. I had a whole picture drawn on one of my guitars in silver permanent marker, I used one of those and it came off fine with no ill affects.
If you are worried at all try it out on something else first and see how it goes.

We are talking about a high gloss painted surface here. If the OP doesn't mind a dull spot where they use it than that's fine. It's a formaldehyde based foam that acts like a fine grit wet sandpaper. Me personally, I wouldn't use it on a guitar. Would you use it on a car to take a mark off?
Hey man, no skin off my arse if he uses something else. All I am saying is that I used one on a guitar and it worked fine. It was a Kingston Strat body that had a gloss finish on it and I only used the white side.
Like I said if you are worried about it.... Don't use it.
That's what you get for drawing penises in everything you see.

No, really. I'd check if alcohol does the job without damaging the guitar. If anything, tell your friends you were drunk and spit some vodka on it.
do the punk things and draw pictures/put stickers on it
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
try a little on the back and see if it marks the paint job first....this is truly good advice.

thrench..............out
Try just straight rubbing alcohol nothing else assuming it's a poly finish. If it's a nitro finish your kind of screwed stuff like that will bleed thru the finish to the wood.

John
goo gone.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Same way you get permanent marker off a whiteboard when someone uses the wrong marker: draw over it with a dry-erase whiteboard marker, wait a moment, and you should be able to wipe it straight off with a tissue.