Was just wondering how when a band is recording they get a huge bass sound at the start of a breakdown.

Songs that have this BMTH use this all the time at the start of a breakdown, such as in Chelsea smile and Architects have it at the start of the breakdown in early grave.

I remember as well when I saw Dream Theater live about a month ago they had a piece of equipment on the drum kit that just emitted what sounded like a brown note every time it was hit. When the they kept hitting it during the drum battle it began to become quite uncomfortable haha. What is that?

Quote by babakkatt
Whats wrong with asking a girl what kind of cheese she likes?

maybe a yamaha sub kick
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
It's called a bass drop, or sub hit. They are usually triggered by the drummer. I'm not really sure how the samples are created.
Usually just a standard 808 trigger.
MINI enthusiast


My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
look up the roots of this fabulous sound
sub drop, sub bass, bass drop, sub kick.
whatever you want to call it this is the roots.
If you're using a commercial DAW like FL Studio , it might have this sample set listed under the 808 name. If not you can probably find a sample somewhere online. I've never had to look.
cheers guys
Quote by babakkatt
Whats wrong with asking a girl what kind of cheese she likes?

^ That's definitely one of the best sub drops I've ever heard. I have a bunch of tweaked 808 samples but none of 'em are quite that good. Thanks!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite