hey all

im going to australia soon (i live in Blighty) for 6 weeks and im taking my guitar with me. this poses a problem cause i dont have a flight case(and cant afford one thanks to the £930 ticket). so im looking for a way to travel with it. i thought about seeing if i could carry the guitar on with me in a gig bag but ive heard a few horror stories of people whove tried the same thing and had their guitar put in the hold instead.

so i was thinking i would take the neck off (its an RG) wrap it up in my clothes and place it in a hardshell suitcase. would this be okay for the guitar?

the last thing i want is to get out there and find my neck is damaged or something

hopefully you guys can put my mind at rest.

cheers

Nath
It would be perfectly fine to do that. Just make sure you wrap everything well. Also when you put the neck back on, if you´re getting fret buzz or something make sure you have the screws on the heel screwed down the proper way. (Like if you screw the bridge side screws down more then the higher frets will be pulled down more, and so on.)
I've done this from once or twice, just from N Ireland to Scotland. It was a soft suitcase and I used a hell of a lot of bubble wrap along with some clothes. The neck was also in a box I think. Was really worried about it doing it but it was fine at the end.

It's up to you if you want to take the risk, no matter how much you protect it there's always a chance of it breaking I guess.

I would call up the airline and ask them about it. I've had a bit of bother in the past (with Easyjet) saying they weren't going to let me despite what their policy is.
Quote by Vlasco
Also when you put the neck back on, if you´re getting fret buzz or something make sure you have the screws on the heel screwed down the proper way. (Like if you screw the bridge side screws down more then the higher frets will be pulled down more, and so on.)
So you've never has a bolt-on guitar apart hey?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
So you've never has a bolt-on guitar apart hey?

What?

Are you saying I´m wrong? Try untightening the bridge side screws and see what happens. Your notes will all fret out and the action will need to be raised.

I´m not saying it is a hard thing to do or anything - I´m just trying to prevent potential panic in case he starts getting dead notes and doesn´t know what went wrong.
Quote by Vlasco
What?

Are you saying I´m wrong? Try untightening the bridge side screws and see what happens. Your notes will all fret out and the action will need to be raised.

I´m not saying it is a hard thing to do or anything - I´m just trying to prevent potential panic in case he starts getting dead notes and doesn´t know what went wrong.
Well, yeah. You are wrong.

You should have the neck screws all snugged down completely. If you need to adjust the way the neck sits in the pocket you [should] use shims. Just loosening the screws is going to leave you with an unstable guitar.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Well, yeah. You are wrong.

You should have the neck screws all snugged down completely. If you need to adjust the way the neck sits in the pocket you [should] use shims. Just loosening the screws is going to leave you with an unstable guitar.

That is what I am talking about, but if you overtighten one side the same effect will happen. You seem to have taken what I said as "you should untighten screws to match the others" where I said if you overscrew one side it can cause problems.
thanks for the confirmation guys. puts my mind at ease (a little)

cheers

Nath
it should be fine. even get some bubble wrap if u can. and use plenty of cushioning.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
1. trem bridge? you'll want to brace that bridge, prior to removing tension off the neck.

2. then of course remove tension off the strings prior to loosening neck bolts.

3. know that the guitar will most likely need a setup after this is all done.

4. pack the neck for travel but know that airport security might make you take all the padding off the neck after xray.

5. when returning the bolts to the neck, TAKE YOUR TIME. make sure the neck pocket has no debris in it, and when putting on the neck, dont strip those bolts or screw holes. hand tighten. all snug. again dont cross or strip threads.

use a rag to cover painted surfaces, you dont want a stray scratch from pliers or wrench.

have a safe trip.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
1. trem bridge? you'll want to brace that bridge, prior to removing tension off the neck.

2. then of course remove tension off the strings prior to loosening neck bolts.

3. know that the guitar will most likely need a setup after this is all done.

4. pack the neck for travel but know that airport security might make you take all the padding off the neck after xray.

5. when returning the bolts to the neck, TAKE YOUR TIME. make sure the neck pocket has no debris in it, and when putting on the neck, dont strip those bolts or screw holes. hand tighten. all snug. again dont cross or strip threads.

use a rag to cover painted surfaces, you dont want a stray scratch from pliers or wrench.

have a safe trip.

thanks very much for the info, about point 3. by setup do you mean correcting the innotation? cause im capable of that. or are you referring to truss rod adjustments cause i really dont want to do that lol

cheers

Nath
well Nath, it might not need any truss rod adjusting, but it's possible that it will.

dont be afraid. it's very simple.

when you put the neck back on, and string it up. if you find that you're getting some new buzz, then click the green link in my sig.

and i'll talk you thru a few simple adjustments that should get you on the right track.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You might face some problems with bringing a guitar here in a suitcase. Customs and Border security will be all over you ... Might be a good idea to tell them theres a guitar in there straight up ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.