My cousins birthday is coming up and she wants to learn guitar so my family has come to me for advice because im the only one with any knowledge of guitars

She is 9 (i think :S) and is the sort of person who would learn guitar then stop after 6 months so i dont want to spend as little as possible. She also says she is left handed but i said learn righty because im a lefty and it sucks however i cant get to her to see if she really is a pure lefty.

My point is whats the best way to get a cheap guitar off something like ebay or a local store you could maby haggle with??
If its online links would be great
pawn shops, craigslist
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
you could get a dean vendetta and a cheap amp, or an ibanez jr size and a cheap amp, etc...
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
check craigslist from wherever you live and if you find some thing you like, offer them cash you could probably get the price reduced about 10% or 20%.
I spent $170 on my starter rig. $90 for my bass, $10 for a stand, $50 on my 20 watt amp, $20 on a gig bag. So if you can find all that for less than the above prices, you're getting a good deal.
"Let others bring order to chaos, I shall bring chaos to order."- Vonnegut.

Check out my webcomic!
just get her a epiphone starter pack... and when she quits.. tak ethe guitar back
RIP Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan
check craigslist,pawn shops, or if the local shop if it carries used gear/Traded in gear.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Jack Darkley
I spent $170 on my starter rig. $90 for my bass, $10 for a stand, $50 on my 20 watt amp, $20 on a gig bag. So if you can find all that for less than the above prices, you're getting a good deal.

thats a bass - basses = cheaper
TS, invest some money in it and take the guitar when she gives up
Basses aren't cheaper, what are you smoking?

Anyway, TS, get her a squier Bullet.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I just picked up a three month old Ibanez Mikro off Craig's List for $70. It actually had the pups upgraded to ESP's by the original owner. (Apparently he likes working on guitars so he probably had some extras lying around.)

If she's 9, the only way you'd be able to get her a full size guitar is if you planned on capo'ing it.
Why the hell are you buying your cousin a guitar?

If she wants to learn, her parents should buy it for her, what the ****.

And tell your family to have her learn on her own for about 6 months. If she's still playing, THEN teach her.
I spent 4 months teaching someone how to play, and she quit because she started to get callouses. What. The. ****.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by Tedis1111
My cousins birthday is coming up and she wants to learn guitar so my family has come to me for advice because im the only one with any knowledge of guitars

She is 9 (i think :S) and is the sort of person who would learn guitar then stop after 6 months so i dont want to spend as little as possible. She also says she is left handed but i said learn righty because im a lefty and it sucks however i cant get to her to see if she really is a pure lefty.

My point is whats the best way to get a cheap guitar off something like ebay or a local store you could maby haggle with??
If its online links would be great

I will say this, don't assume she'd give up after 6 months. However, she is 9, but she might come back to it at an older age. If she's left handed, let HER figure out what's more comfortable for her to play as. Not every left handed player feels comfortable playing as a right handed person. Don't say that you just get used to it, because if that's the case I could've learned left handed, but it was so awkward that I learned right handed, since I'm right handed.

Want to see if she's a pure lefty? Either let her hold your guitar both ways, regardless if its strung for a left handed person. If she feels more comfortable holding it lefty, then she's a lefty player. Likewise, if you don't want her touching your guitars (If you have a cheap one, you could just use that to see which she prefers to play with) then get a broomstick, and tell her to hold it like a guitar both ways and see if she's more comfortable right handed or left handed.

They have those first act guitars at walmart, if you're looking for cheap. Though, those are just horrible. Ask her if she'd rather play acoustic or electric, if electric, look for a used Ibanez of some kind (Her hands are most likely small). If acoustic, there are a few cheap acoustics out there too.

Oh reminds me, what you should do, is buy her a cheap guitar that you like also (Cheap Ibanez, CV50s Squier/Tele, etc) and teach her to play. You'll be able to tell if she's not committed to practicing what you teach her, in which you can say something like "If you're not committed to practicing/learning, then give me back the guitar I bought you." Might sound bad, but no sense in letting her keep something you could mod if she won't learn.
cheers for your help but im not teaching her and i would spend loads on her but if i buy a righty i cant use it cos im lefty.

the other thing is i live in worthing and she lives doncaster (like 5 hours drive) also her dad lives in mexico and has already got her somethin and her mum doesnt even speak english and doesnt have alot of cash.

although spending alot and getting her lefty could work if she quits
Quote by Tedis1111
cheers for your help but im not teaching her and i would spend loads on her but if i buy a righty i cant use it cos im lefty.

the other thing is i live in worthing and she lives doncaster (like 5 hours drive) also her dad lives in mexico and has already got her somethin and her mum doesnt even speak english and doesnt have alot of cash.

although spending alot and getting her lefty could work if she quits

Flip it like Hendrix. Problem solved.
Quote by Commodor 64
Aldi is selling a electric guitar kit, with amp, tuner, cord for $99. I almost grabbed one yesterday just to see how it was. Lyon by Washburn.

http://aldi.us/us/html/offers/58_9471_ENU_HTML.htm

They're absolute crap-I've played one, I know.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Just get a 30$ acoustic for her.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
My parents bought my little sister (she's 10) a 30ish dollar acoustic and it worked fine for her. Except we had some trouble with it staying in tune.

If your cousin's 9 she probably has small hands so keep in mind that you probably want to get a smaller scale guitar for her hands. My sister has trouble playing my guitar because of that
I hate my sig