So yes as the title asks?
Best Distortion or OD pedal to get the valveking to do metal?
Opions? was looking at tubescreamers, MXR distortion III's and also my MT-2. So out of those 3 I could really use you guy's help.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Honestly, I think a VK should do it by itself. Are you just looking for more gain or do you want it to be tighter or somesuch?
A TS9 or Bad Monkey should do the job. I run a bad monkey into mine and it gets it into metal territory.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I was wanting it a little tighter I suppose.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I'd go with a clean boosting OD pedal (for tightness) like the Bad Monkey.

Level = 10
Gain = 0

If you want to learn a little bit more IbanezPsycho has a few Blogs on OD pedals that is interesting to read through. He's done lots of comparisons on OD pedals and he owned a Valveking.

Speaker and EQ do wonders too if you have a combo....Check out the Only Valveking thread.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 6, 2009,
When I played one, it got metal on it's own.

But anyway, do you have the combo or the head?
Quote by Flying Couch
Honestly, I think a VK should do it by itself. Are you just looking for more gain or do you want it to be tighter or somesuch?

Not really. The VK doesn't have the proper gain structure. It's designed to be more of a rock amp.

TS: Just get an OD and run it as a boost (volume dimed with the gain cut to 0 or almost to 0, depending on whether you want a little extra gain or not).
Oh, I completely forgot to recommend a pedal.

If you're on teh cheapz go with a DigiTech Bad Monkey. It doesn't color your tone too much. If you have a fat wallet go with the industry standard Ibanez TS-9 or a Maxon OD-808.
I'd suggest a used Digitech Bad Monkey to the budget-observant musician. For those who wish to fleece their wallet there are always pedals like the Ibanez/Maxon TS-9/OD-808.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I can't get mine into t3h br00talz territory, but it'll do Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc. pretty well on it's own.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
I don't see why everyone finds it hard to get into br00talz without an OD on a VK.
Gain boost on (even off will work fine)
gain around 8
bass 8-9
treble 6
mids 4-6
volume to taste

I mean I have to use a noise suppressor pedal to be able to quiet all that gain at high volumes but still, it's quite do-able IMO.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
^ Its because its not really a metal amp, it can do rock great but gets kinda muddy when used so much gain. So if one boosts the front end with a tube scremer which will add more gain getting them to teh br00tlz and it will clear it up by adding mids and removing some bass thus making tighter.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I can get metal with my VK without the amp's gain boost or a pedal, but then, I am using high output pickups as well.

Bad Monkey gets my vote. I have one and I love it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??