I'm trying to learn more about pickups, and I was wondering if anybody could help me with understanding how DC resistance and inductance affect tone. Also, if I could get some examples that would be great. Thanks!
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you...

The Band

Viva La Revolución!
I'm not an EE so I'm not going to attempt anything other than to say a 15k pup is hotter than a 7k pup. Here is a good read even though it is not specific to your question:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019006
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/how_to_pick_a_pickup.pdf

i'm not endorsing duncans, but that's a decent article.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here was a recent thread where inductance was discussed and Cathbard provided some links I believe that discussed things further and we were talking about pickups a bit.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1211875&highlight=inductance
and while DCR is often used as an indicator of output, it is usually a bad indicator of output and I didn't really realize this until I got my WCRs that DCR really means very little. What really increases output is the number of turns of wire, but typically the more turns, the more wire, and thus more resistance. So that's how DCR is roughly associated with output. But if you take into account that thinner wire has more resistance, a pickup that is wound with 43 awg to say... 13k ohms, it's not really going to be any hotter than a pickup wound to maybe 8.5k-9k ohms with 42 awg wire because they might have the same number of turns, and this is also what I found tonally with my WCR Fillmores compared to some of my other pickups. However, the fact that it has a higher resistance will mean that it will have less high end, and a darker tone. The 9k range is going to be as high as you're going to get with 42 awg wire.

And that is completely ignoring magnet strength as well.

But if you are comparing 5 different PAF pickups, each with the same magnet (lets say... A5) of the same Gauss, and they're in the range of 7.5k to 9k, the higher the DCR, the hotter the pickup is going to be. If you have a pickup that 8k w/ an A5, it is not really going to have less output than a pickup that is 8.5k w/ an A2. So these things all kind of work together.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 6, 2009,
yeah, I mean, I use DCR to suggest output, but it's really a bad system (even though everyone does it)
Quote by forsaknazrael
i can't be arsed to type that kind of stuff out on my iPhone.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?