http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/n/nirvana/where_did_you_sleep_last_night_ver3_tab.htm

Okay this is just one example and im sure its a good tab but why do tabs like this look so confusing. I know its a simple song but I mean it in the sense that rather than just giving the chords and the basic rhythm, a lot of tabs indicate to strum 3 strings, then 4, the 2, etc. For example, in the above tab there's no way anyones gonna hit every string indicated and Im pretty sure Kurt Cobain doesnt hit these EXACT strings so why is this tab like this written in this way? Im not critisizing this particular tab and I'm definately not saying that I try to follow tabs like this exactly but I'm just wondering why they are written like this it just seems over complicated when it really seems to be just a simple strumming pattern......
Last edited by mmnohmygod at Nov 6, 2009,
I don't know why but I couldn't get the gist of what you were saying.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
the guys are trying to tab the song as accurately as possible, to whatever version they have of the song. Personally for strummy songs i'd use a chord sheet, not bothering with exact picking, but some people wanna be exactly like the original i guess!

TM
i understand your question, but im just as confused as you as to why. i guess this particular one might be due to that little one note bit in the second measure, and other nuances like that that maybe are difficult to write as chords, but it does seem kinda pointless...
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Cheers for the replies. I'm really not tyrna complain at all and I dont care if this tab is 'hard' or not cause I don't follow theses kind of tabs. For this particular song I just do D UDUD. I'm just curious as to why simple strum songs are tabbed like this. Maybe a better question is why do people tab this stuff when it's never gonna be strummed the EXACT same each time, even though the basic rhythm is there? It just seems a lot of simple strumming songs like this one are over complicated in tab
I see, I think it's probably because they didn't tab it out in Word but rather PowerTab or Guitar Pro.

Just a guess.
The person obviously used Guitar Pro or some other program to export the tabs. That why its perfectly spaced out and all confusing.

Yes it may look confusing on the screen, but alot of the times it sounds perfect in guitar pro.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by bluekirby7
The person obviously used Guitar Pro or some other program to export the tabs. That why its perfectly spaced out and all confusing.

Yes it may look confusing on the screen, but alot of the times it sounds perfect in guitar pro.

I said that.............

6 hours before you............................

thanks for playing though
Since there's been no perfect regular tab for this song ( I mean ver 1 and ver 2 ), the guy's taken this tab off this guitar pro or this power tab which are highly rated. But unfortunately s/he's not bothered to separate intro/verse/... and the tab looks kinda confusing.

btw this is a tuxguitar exported tab
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
Quote by GaijinFoot
I said that.............

6 hours before you............................

thanks for playing though

Want a cookie?