say when I unison bend 12 on the high e and a 15 on the b string, the b string ends up at the correct pitch, but the e string bends slightly as well, like a quarter tone, so it sounds out of tune. how can i fix this?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
It depends. If you have a Floyd Rose, the tension on the bridge that's being added to when you bend the B string is releasing tension on the E string. The bridge is bowing to the added tension. This is highly unlikely with a solid bridge. However, different strings do require different bend lengths, because of the thickness and the tension as well.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
it could be as simple as improving your technique and keeping the first finger stationary.

ive never heard of the bridge thing, anyone have more info on this?
Rig:
Jay Turser ES-335 w/ 2 Burstbuckers OR
J&E Custom w Duncan SSL3 and SHL59>
MXR Dynacomp>
Ibanez TS-9>
Dunlop Crybaby>
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212
effects loop:
Boss BD-2>
Danelectro Vibe>
Boss DD-6>
Morley Volume

my shit screams.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
say when I unison bend 12 on the high e and a 15 on the b string, the b string ends up at the correct pitch, but the e string bends slightly as well, like a quarter tone, so it sounds out of tune. how can i fix this?

Don't move your wrist, and learn finger independence.
I rarely use my wrist when I bend; only occasionally for really big steps. only finger thats not really independent from the rest is my pinky, and I'm working on that now. I do that bend with my ring and pinky on the 15th fret on the b string, maybe its because of lack of pinky independence that this happens? if so, any excercises to work on it? My les paul has a bigsby on it, but I don't think that that's the problem....

its probably just a technique thing.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by tenfold
Don't move your wrist, and learn finger independence.

ive been taught by multiple people to use your wrist on every bend, its much more consistant and accurate.
Rig:
MXR Dynacomp>
Ibanez TS-9>
Dunlop Crybaby>
effects loop:
Boss BD-2>
Danelectro Vibe>
Boss DD-6>
Morley Volume

my shit screams.
I can do that bend fine, you need to focus on not moving your index, hence finger independence.
Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ
and John Petrucci's Rock Discipline.
And you should use your wrist all the time on single string bends, not unison though.
Quote by JRKul393
ive been taught by multiple people to use your wrist on every bend, its much more consistant and accurate.

Not unison bends. All other bends, I agree.
Quote by tenfold
I can do that bend fine, you need to focus on not moving your index, hence finger independence.
Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ
and John Petrucci's Rock Discipline.
And you should use your wrist all the time on single string bends, not unison though.

Not unison bends. All other bends, I agree.

even on unison bends i use my wrist.

i just did it, and ive never noticed, but say im doing the bend mentioned by the op, i pivot my wrist on my first finger. string doesnt change pitch at all and i can bend the b string wherever i want.

i guess its just a personal preference thing.
Rig:
MXR Dynacomp>
Ibanez TS-9>
Dunlop Crybaby>
effects loop:
Boss BD-2>
Danelectro Vibe>
Boss DD-6>
Morley Volume

my shit screams.
Quote by JRKul393

thats not the reason they tell you to bend with the wrist, its to put more power into the bend, your wrist acts like a pivot and pushes the string a lot more than using just your fingers.

however, playing piano and violin made my fingers relatively strong, and I'm lazy, and to play fast my thumb likes staying behind the neck and not poking itself up, so I stick to just my fingers with bending. more consistent for me. if i need that extra push then I'll use a little bit of wrist.

to tenfold, I guess I'm just gonna have to do a bit of practicing.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
thats not the reason they tell you to bend with the wrist, its to put more power into the bend, your wrist acts like a pivot and pushes the string a lot more than using just your fingers.

however, playing piano and violin made my fingers relatively strong, and I'm lazy, and to play fast my thumb likes staying behind the neck and not poking itself up, so I stick to just my fingers with bending. more consistent for me. if i need that extra push then I'll use a little bit of wrist.

to tenfold, I guess I'm just gonna have to do a bit of practicing.

the reason i said that is because thats what its done for me. my hands are ****ing massive, power was never an issue.
Rig:
MXR Dynacomp>
Ibanez TS-9>
Dunlop Crybaby>
effects loop:
Boss BD-2>
Danelectro Vibe>
Boss DD-6>
Morley Volume

my shit screams.
haha yah man, big hands can be a bit of a bitch. I can barely play high up on my les paul, the cutaway is too small lol.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
"You should consider that the average I.Q. of the population is often lower then your average freeway speed limit."

hmmm...in los angeles .. thats about 24....now it all makes sense....

wolf
Yea practicing a lot will get you the finger strength you need to do it easily without much effort.

Quote by wolflen
hmmm...in los angeles .. thats about 24....now it all makes sense....

Um... good job of being off topic . . . ?
TS, try this - play your high e string open and let it ring, then bend your low e string, without picking it. If the pitch of the high e string changes then thats your problem. If not, then it must be technique.
Quote by Declan87
TS, try this - play your high e string open and let it ring, then bend your low e string, without picking it. If the pitch of the high e string changes then thats your problem. If not, then it must be technique.

+1

I have a pretty bad squier and on bends the bridge actually lifts upwards when I bend, so the note becomes flatter. This means for normal bends I have to bend a little more and for unison bends I have to either both notes (the note that isn't supposed to be bent only a little) or live with it being slightly out of tune.
Quote by JRKul393
the reason i said that is because thats what its done for me. my hands are ****ing massive, power was never an issue.

big hands doesnt mean more power. it just means you have big hands. im guessing you guys who dont use the wrist probably dont have very good virbrato while bending. no offence but thats usually the case from what ive seen. plus i dont see how the wrist has anything to do with the OP's problem.

OP, are you sure that you are bending the B sting to correct pitch first of all? if so, just start slow and look at what you are doing. force yourself to only bend the B string and keep the e string still. just keep at it until you get it. its also possible that its your guitar. even hardtails can go out a bit when bending. try bending the B string but dont pluck it. pluck the open E while bending the silent B string back and forth. you might notice the low E will go a little flat. mine does that but i havent had problems with static bends though. so its possible its the guitar, but i think you probably just need to practice more. not much else you can do.
I've been having the same problem on my strat when doing unison bends. It's definitely the stationary string slacking when i bend the other string, making it go flat.
It's so annoying as i use this technique loads. Anyone got any ideas to improve the hardware, higher tension springs or something? Cheers
If you've got a floating bridge the other string will go flat - you just have to learn to bend that the right amount to compensate too. Practice slowly and listen to what you're doing and it'll get there
Cheers man. Yeah i can do that it's just a pain when playing faster/getting real into it. I find applying a little pressure on the bridge stops it raising but again it's a pain. Damn, was hoping there would be an easy solution :-(
How did I miss this thread?

It belongs in guitar techniques, but I'm sure you've received the information you need.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud