Page 1 of 5
Have you ever known a guitar player who was really good, but said the dumbest things about gear and tone?

There's this one guy at my school who is EXCEPTIONAL at guitar. I call him Paul Waggoner jr sometimes. On issues of tone, he agrees with me for the most part. We both share opinions on scooping mids and using way too much gain. As far as amps go however, he's said some of the most rage inducing things ever. He's a complete tube purist, he says that all solid state amps suck. I might be able to respect that opinion if it wasn't for the fact that his TR00 T00B amp, which he says sounds better than any other tube amp he's played is...

wait for it...

A Line 6 Spider Valve.

I try to tell him that the Flextone and Vetta, despite being SS, sound way better than the spider valve. He also said that in terms of tone, Line 6 "sh*ts all over Mesa Boogie" I wanted to impale him with his LTD MH-401's pointy headstock after he said that.

Alright. Share your stories of good guitar players you know who were clueless on gear or tone related matters.
a friend of mine, who is a really awesome guitar player, sayed that amps don't make a big difference is sound quality.
andy....whats-his-face, from every time i die. Actually, his tone is fine, but hes a pretty shallow guitar player. Doesn't know much theory, hasn't ever owned an acoustic, etc.
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Quote by In The Mist
Have you ever known a guitar player who was really good, but said the dumbest things about gear and tone?

There's this one guy at my school who is EXCEPTIONAL at guitar. I call him Paul Waggoner jr sometimes. On issues of tone, he agrees with me for the most part. We both share opinions on scooping mids and using way too much gain. As far as amps go however, he's said some of the most rage inducing things ever. He's a complete tube purist, he says that all solid state amps suck. I might be able to respect that opinion if it wasn't for the fact that his TR00 T00B amp, which he says sounds better than any other tube amp he's played is...

wait for it...

A Line 6 Spider Valve.

I try to tell him that the Flextone and Vetta, despite being SS, sound way better than the spider valve. He also said that in terms of tone, Line 6 "sh*ts all over Mesa Boogie" I wanted to impale him with his LTD MH-401's pointy headstock after he said that.

Alright. Share your stories of good guitar players you know who were clueless on gear or tone related matters.

you sound like the geartard. Stop hating and start playing !!!

Flextones are not even close to a good tube amp in sound. I know this, one sat in my basement for 5 years.

Line 6 doesn't own mesa's but different strokes for different folks.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Spider Valves are pretty nice... He has definitely not played a Mesa though. But I'd be willing to bet you haven't either.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by ratracekid111
andy....whats-his-face, from every time i die. Actually, his tone is fine, but hes a pretty shallow guitar player. Doesn't know much theory, hasn't ever owned an acoustic, etc.

I know guys who have never touched an acoustic and I guarantee they can play circles around you.

Quote by tubetime86
Spider Valves are pretty nice... He has definitely not played a Mesa though. But I'd be willing to bet you haven't either.

Big +1 tube

I love how people make these "I said, he said" argument threads and neither of them of played on what they are comparing their gear to.
i had a kid tell me his mg is on par with my splawn...

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
i had a kid tell me his mg is on par with my splawn...

Well when you think about it Splawns are just hot-rodded Marshalls, and MGs have that Marshall characteristic tone, but with the added boost button, so an MG with the boost button engaged is pretty much a Splawn.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The Line 6 Flextone III or Vetta II aren't "better" amps than the Spider Valve. They have similar features just different tones, and tone is relative.

I wouldn't say Mesa Boogie shit all over line 6. They both have their individual qualities to admire—and to despise.
Me and my friend got in an argument once about how guitars only have like 25% role in your tone and most comes from your amp. I said to him "Do you seriously think that if you played a gibson les paul through through your washburn bd25r, that it would sound anywhere near my agile through my peavey xxx?" He replied "It would sound pretty close" lol
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Had someone say once that there was no point in getting an expensive guitar because none of the expensiveness (i.e. wood, p.ups, setup, craftsmanship) makes ANY difference to tone.
Needless to say, he was a drummer.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I know guys who have never touched an acoustic and I guarantee they can play circles around you.

That's just a little depressing if you ask me.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Come on guys, this is a legitimate thread.

Everyone knows that tone comes from pedals only. Amps amplify what's in your cable. Purely.

This. Every tube guitar amp is the same hi-fi circuit with no variation aside from tube types, which don't color your tone anyway. SS amps are a variation and that's why they sound bad, because they have pedals in them to amplify the sound instead of tubes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Years ago, I knew a guitarist who had been playing for over a decade. In spite of his tremendous playing skills, he wouldn't know the difference between a headstock and a headlamp. He always refered to the tremolo unit on his Strat as "The bar thingy that's connected to the spring thingy." Comparing single-coil pickups to humbuckers, he would say "My guitar's got skinny boxes. Yours are really fat, man!"

This guy really should've just said no.
Have you ever seen the inside of a Splawn? It's got, like, 4 tubes. Look at the Line6 Valve series, they have like 10 tubes and a whole bunch of modules to give it different preamp and power amp circuitry. As we all know, more circuits/tubes = better.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I used to think that Duncan Designed and Seymour Duncan were the same thing.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by Raijouta
This. Every tube guitar amp is the same hi-fi circuit with no variation aside from tube types, which don't color your tone anyway. SS amps are a variation and that's why they sound bad, because they have pedals in them to amplify the sound instead of tubes.

+1

You only really need a mid-level amp that sounds ok with a speaker mon, 2 eqs, an od, dist, fuzz, wah, flange, phase and delay.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by tubetime86

What made me rage is that The Spider Valve's metal and insane channels (which are the only ones he uses) are models of the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. That's what made it sound so dumb. The conversation came up when I was at A guitar competition hosted by our local radio station at Grandma's (local music store). He competed and me and him talked after he performed. The contestants had a choice between a Line 6 Spider Valve and a Mesa Rectoverb. About 5 out of the fifty contestants chose the rectoverb. I could understand why, dialing in a boogie to get a good tone takes time. I'm not saying the SVs are bad either (The Spider Valve MKII is probably going to be the next amp I'll get), but if you gave me some time with a rectoverb and a tubescreamer, I could make a far better tone than the spidervalve.

BTW: I go to that store every week to play a small Mesa Express they have.
PRS+Mesa Express set to 5W class A+Master way up=Eargasms.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Come on guys, this is a legitimate thread.

Everyone knows that tone comes from pedals only. Amps amplify what's in your cable. Purely.

+1 I get great tone out of my valveking using a Ds-1, and both are bashed on this site. Its not the best tone, but it sure does beat average.
Quote by In The Mist

BTW: I go to that store every week to play a small Mesa Express they have.
PRS+Mesa Express set to 5W class A+Master way up=Eargasms.

Honestly that would cut me so bad if you came into my shop every week and sat and played my expensive stuff, i'm guessing pretty loudly. alright every now and again i go into a shop and sit down and try out their stuff but even i'd feel weird going every week and playing their stuff. buy your own gear.

sorry for the mini rant exams are getting to me. damn solar cells.
Quote by stykerwolf
99% of the people here who play pretty good have MGs

Dude yes!!! My friend was amazing at guitar but wasnt really sure how to set up a floyd and i had to restring for him. Ive never owned a floyd guitar either. I was cored one day and just youtubed it. He also owns a 100W MG Stack with that crushing overdrive. I dunno i kinda like it but i would never buy an MG.
Quote by Raijouta

there is so much wrong with that...

especially "every tube guitar amp is the SAME hi-fi circuit". like wtf? do you even know how tube amps work? why do you think there is such a fuss for vintage, hand-wired circuits then if they are the same? and if they are the same then why do they sound sooooo different?

according to your "theory" (although i know its wrong) then an epiphone valve jr. should sound the same as a mesa triple recto as long has it has the same types of tubes.

don't post on what you clearly know nothing about.
Quote by joe_k
dude he was joking.

possibly, but seeing how several people have agreed with him im betting at least one person is serious.

also FYI a smily would be nice so you can tell the difference between sarcasm and complete stupidity
Quote by JayLacelle

especially "every tube guitar amp is the SAME hi-fi circuit". like wtf? do you even know how tube amps work? why do you think there is such a fuss for vintage, hand-wired circuits then if they are the same? and if they are the same then why do they sound sooooo different?

according to your "theory" (although i know its wrong) then an epiphone valve jr. should sound the same as a mesa triple recto as long has it has the same types of tubes.

Detecting sarcasm clearly isnt one of your strong points.
Quote by littlephil

no its not. im guessing that's a result of long exposure to extremely low IQ levels though

EDIT: im also very tired and really cranky right now as i've been up since 5am ...
Last edited by JayLacelle at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by littlephil

Though detecting sarcasm is also really hard when you're talking through a computer screen, no?
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Nov 7, 2009,
I know an older guy who has been playing guitar for longer than I was born a couple times over. He is a really good player and for the most part knows what is decent. Accept he plays through a Kustom Quad DFX 65, which honestly sounds OKAY. I doesn't sound horrible, but his tone could use more mids. I started talking about how I played the Kustom Coupe 36 tube combo and how he might like it. He asked me how many watts it had. I said it was 36 watts and he said, "Oh, that's not very loud is it?" He knew it was tube, and it surprised me that someone of his age and experience didn't even know about the difference between ss volume and tube volume. He was shocked that 36 watts tube could keep up with his 65 watt ss.
My buddy thinks his step-dad's Randall SS halfstack is on par with my Mesa Boogie Mark IV.

I can't remember the exact model of said 'stack, but it's definitely not on par with my Boogie.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by JayLacelle

I agree its hard to detect sarcasm on here, but he is a known poster here... Context, sir, context.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
lots of good guitarists do ads for low quality gear...mostly just soo peeps buy it cuz a good guitarist is promoting/doing ads for it...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I once convinced myself that I didn't need a humbucker because my guitar didn't have any hum.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Page 1 of 5