How do you guys do it?

I played a cort rhoads model, an rg, and a schecter and it was quite an effort for me to play on the level that i do with my simple and humble gax 30, and that can't be right.

The cort and a gibson sg came closest to how i normally play.

Is it all a matter of getting used to the neck?
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
What?
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
What?

I mean: how can you validate the way a guitar neck is going to be for you, if your not used to it when trying it in the guitar shop
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Keep going back?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Lobyte
I mean: how can you validate the way a guitar neck is going to be for you, if your not used to it when trying it in the guitar shop

Play it until you get a good feel for it?

I never have this problem, i usually pick up a guitar and play for 10-15 minutes and i can tell whether i like the way it feels or not.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Keep going back?

cant get there that easy

ಠ_ಠ
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
ive always been a strong believer of if it feels good in your hands, get that guitar. and every one is different.

it took a little to get used to my V's neck, but thats the other situation where you just play it until you get used to the feel.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
yes you just have to get used to it unless you really can't stand the neck. first time i played a 7 string (schecter c-7 hellraiser) it was as if i was a women getting a 12 incher in the butt for the first time. you just have to get used to it and then it will feel nice and comfortable.
If you have to ''get used to it'', you shouldn't be buying that guitar.

I often use the tale of my Gibson shopping as an example, and I'll repeat it now: I tried over twenty allegedly identical Gibsons and none of their necks suited me (among other issues they had). They all felt bad in my hands: too thick, too thin, too wide, whatever. Then I picked up one which right from the moment I touched it, felt perfect in my hands. That's the one I bought and I have never regretted it.

That's what you want to aim for. You should pick up the guitar and right away it should fit in your hand perfectly. If it doesn't, don't buy it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
if you're even aware of the neck, or some other aspect of the guitar, then it's probably not a good fit. guitars should feel natural to you. anything that bothers you in the shop is going to be a constant problem at home.
i have no comment on the anal sex analogy.
Last edited by brothertupelo at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
If you have to ''get used to it'', you shouldn't be buying that guitar.

I often use the tale of my Gibson shopping as an example, and I'll repeat it now: I tried over twenty allegedly identical Gibsons and none of their necks suited me (among other issues they had). They all felt bad in my hands: too thick, too thin, too wide, whatever. Then I picked up one which right from the moment I touched it, felt perfect in my hands. That's the one I bought and I have never regretted it.

That's what you want to aim for. You should pick up the guitar and right away it should fit in your hand perfectly. If it doesn't, don't buy it.

That was what i wanted to hear, also ill play the guitars a little longer next time instead of 5 minutes ( i was on a tight schedule twice)

: / a guitar should never feel like getting a 12 incher by the way
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
I disagree with the love at first site thing. My Strat neck was love at first sight. It was the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. But I wanted something better for playing fast so I began looking at Ibanezes. I personally wasn't too fond of my RG's neck at first but I bought it because I saw the potential in it. It was the easiest neck I've ever played on and I could play faster on it. Now that I got used to it, I wish every guitar came with that neck. While I still think the Strat neck is more comfortable, the RG is 10 times more playable. It's hard to explain. The RG's neck feels like there's nothing there most of the time, but when it rears its head, it's not the most comfortable thing in the world. On the other hand, you're always aware of the Strat neck's presence. It's always comfortable, but I feel like I'm fighting with the neck when I play just because it's there. I probably wouldn't feel this way if I didn't have the RG though. I get a boner every time I play the RG but I can't say the same about the Strat so I'm selling it. I started with an Epi G-400 and the Strat just solved all the problems I had with that neck. The Strat was the natural choice, but the RG was what I needed and wanted. It took a really long time to love my RG, but I'm extremely happy with it now.

Necks have different qualities and it takes a while to get used to them. It's hard to look for guitars because you already have a concept of what you want in the neck. You should go with an open mind but it takes many hours to actually feel the nuances in a lot of necks. The other thing is that you're always comparing it to other things you've played. You've been playing your guitar for years so of course you'll perform better on it. Then you have to add in the pressure of playing in a music store, maybe an uncomfortable position, and other things that will affect your playing. Something radically different than what you're used to probably won't be comfortable for the first few hours.
^ ty that was really informative as well

EDIT: Btw does anybody here own/have experience with a cort vx ?
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Last edited by Lobyte at Nov 6, 2009,