Hi,

I'm in a band that play in the practice spot of a (relatively) successful local band, who gave us the number of this promoter. Now, we're due to play our first gig on the 20th, opening a rock and metal night of four bands. Thing is, we've only got this one, and one in February lined up. Is it likely that, after this first gig we will get more, provided we impress? I'm quite interested in getting regular gigs, as opposed to just practicing.

One thing to note is that 2 of us are under 18 (there's me, the bassist and the drummer who are 16, and the guitarist and singer, who are both late 20's) if that affects the chances of getting more gigs.

So, in your experience, does one solid gig often lead to more?

Cheers,
Gerbs.

EDIT: Three cheers for proof-reading...
Last edited by Gerbs at Nov 6, 2009,
you need to search for gigs, not just let them fall in your lap all the time. you need to impress BIG TIME! a solid gig just MIGHT lead to more, but you need to search for them as much as you can afford!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
put on good shows, get some good recordings, and advertise a lot...t shirts, fliers, posters, anything to get your name our. give out free cd's, and idk what bars are like in ur area, but where i live there is no age limit to get in so try to learn like a 3-4 hour set and play at those places for money, and then use that for what i listed above, equipment, and anything else necessary. But you have to go out and look for gigs. my band went to about 10 bars one night looking for gigs, but we made the mistake of not following that up with phone calls asking what they thought of our cd and stuff, so take some advise from that lol
Obviously, if you do put on a good show you're more likely to get invited back for another. When it comes down to getting legit, good shows its all in the connections you have. Find out where the place to be is and who the people to know are. Bands, venues, promoters, recording studios, coffee shops, etc.
Quote by Gerbs
Hi,

I'm in a band that play in a (relatively) successful local band, who gave us the number of this promoter. Now, we're due to play our first gig on the 20th

It's a paradox! You should write a book on how to make a relatively successful band without gigging.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Sorry, that was a complete balls-up of a sentence. If you take a look now, you'll see what I meant to type first time round...

-_-*

EDIT: Thanks for the advice... I suppose i'll get on to getting our name mentioned around and about. Do you think that any place that I go to would rather see one of the older members as a front for the band, or will it not matter that much?
Last edited by Gerbs at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by Gerbs
I'm in a band that play in the practice spot of a (relatively) successful local band, who gave us the number of this promoter.

I see now. That's good then, it's called networking.

Gigs are the most effective form of promotion there is, quite often I'll see a band and if I'm impressed I'll find out where they are playing next. In the case of "does one gig lead to more?", if the promoter thinks you are good, he'll book you in for another one. As more people see you, more people will come to see you a second time (if you are good).

In relation to your ages, make sure you inform the promoter of this so he can book places that accommodate for the younger members of your group.

I'm not sure what you mean about making the older guys the front of the band. If you've been practicing enough to get a set down, the dynamics of the band should already be present.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
one good gig might help you get more especially if the promoter or someone in the audience likes you
but you do have to pester around people to make them finally put you on a gig
your more likely to get invited back if you sell alot of tickets especially at the more well known venues
im not saying sell it out
but abotu 50-70 people at your first gig (and with such a wide age range im assuming there will be different friend circles) should be enough for promoters to see potential
also make friends with the bands you support etc they may like you and offer you more places supporting them
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by Gerbs
So, in your experience, does one solid gig often lead to more?
It can, but you have to look at how that might happen:

- Whoever hosted that gig, might want to hire you again.

- If the owner of a club or someone looking to hire a band happens to be at that gig, they might approach you for more work.

- If a booking agent is at that gig, they might approach you. However, many of them expect exclusives so you'll pay an agency fee at any gigs you play on their circuit, whether they book them for you or you book them directly.

- If you have a process where people at that gig can leave their email address or phone number for a contact list, you can inform them of any new gigs you schedule. This doesn't get you more work, but it does improve attendance at the next gig you play. If your band gains a reputation as having a "following" you can expect to earn more at the gigs you get.

- If you distribute business cards to the people attending your gig, it's entirely possible when someone they know mentions a need for your band, that card might find it's way into the right hands.

- If you have a friend record audio or video of that gig, you can use that when discussing work with a club owner.

- You can use the owner of a club you've played, as a reference when discussing business with other club owners. Ask their approval for this first, though. And maintain a list of clubs and dates you played them.

- If a member of better band sees and enjoys your show, they might contact you when they need an opening act for an event they play. Again, business cards are your friends.

In general, you can't depend on one solid gig to lead to more work just by having done it. But there are things you can actively do to improve the chances. Get organized and think of this in business terms. Don't expect everything to just fall into your lap. Find and use all the methods of communication between your band, people who might hire you, and people who might want to see your band again. Cards, contact lists, even a website.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks, that was really comprehensive. I'll get to it with the rest of the band members tomorrow, draw up a plan of action.

Job done, Bandleading... now it's just down to me ¬_¬