I've been playing two years, and lately I've been pushing myself to solo and play harder. I want metal songs, prefferably death and thrash, to work on.

I can play crystal mountain's rythm and I'm working on the solo.
Thanks.
try megadeth´s "devil´s island". its pretty trashy
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
I can play devils island though I have to build stamina to play it all way, and I've started tapping the intro, first time trying to tap.

I play the intro to holy wars slowly till I get it clean, and know some riffs.

..And aren't Necrophagist a bit too advanced for now? Though I've tried stabwound before...
Quote by ingames
I can play devils island though I have to build stamina to play it all way, and I've started tapping the intro, first time trying to tap.

I play the intro to holy wars slowly till I get it clean, and know some riffs.

..And aren't Necrophagist a bit too advanced for now? Though I've tried stabwound before...

well i don't mean you should attempt any solo's, but do the rhythm parts
I think Necrophagist rhythms are still a bit too advanced for what he's looking for. I'd suggest Cemetery Gates by Pantera. There's some good rhythms (that'll test your pinch harmonics) and a challenging yet doable solo.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I like Where Eagles Dare and Revelations by Iron Maiden. The former has a pretty good galloping riff at the beginning and throughout and the latter is kinda slow at first but picks up a bit to a pretty good solo.
Killswitch Engage version of Holy Diver!

Walk by Pantera's good too.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Last edited by AndyR83 at Nov 6, 2009,
I don't especially like pantera. I want to play something more in the vein of the big four (except Antrax, don't know why those guys are considered good). And death metal like Death.

Basically songs that many metal guitarists know to play.

Also, real metal, not metalcore. Thanks so far!
Well, if you like Opeth, do Blackwater Park. The solo is kind of challenging at parts, but not too hard. And it's just a great song.
Quote by ingames
I don't especially like pantera. I want to play something more in the vein of the big four (except Antrax, don't know why those guys are considered good). And death metal like Death.

Basically songs that many metal guitarists know to play.

Also, real metal, not metalcore. Thanks so far!

1 - The big four had nothing to do with whether they were good or not, they were just the 4 thrash bands signed to major labels at the time.

2 - Check out a band called "Atheist", they's a little like Death in that first wave DM kind of way but their particular brand is a lot more hectic and sounds a good deal more thrashy and as long as you ignore the bass work isn't huuuuuugely technical.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Maybe take a look at "One" by Metallica if you haven't already. Solo one and two aren't bad and solo three is a fun one to learn!

Also, while the song is extremely long and hard to memorize and probably well above "intermediate", parts of "Hangar 18" are great for learning. Megadeth solos are often pretty complicated and it's great material to learn on. Just pick out a part of this song that appeals to you and work on it, gradually bringing it up to speed. It's tough!
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack