in most cases i'd agree
but their are a fair few good bands that fall into the genres
Quote by Kyose
in most cases i'd agree

i'd have to agree with you, some people are still sticking to the traditional of heavy music and no trying to over do it or reproduce shit that has already been done
Quote by IcePh0enix
The same could be said for metal. I honestly don't think you know shit about hardcore.

Hardcore is generally the same style in guitar as metal, fast palm muted riffs, syncopated power chord riffs, pinch harmonics, slow crushing breakdowns.

Except in metal a breakdown isn't very common, but I don't know the whole story on breakdowns..
Nuh-uh.

Hardcore punk is really basically a faster version of punk - listen to Black flag and tell me it sounds like generic metalcore. It doesn't. It sounds like, well... faster punk.

And there are a few good bands in the -core genres.
Trivium wasn't all THAT bad when they were a core band... they've sort of transitioned over to sort of a Thrash/Metalcore cross, which isn't even bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 6, 2009,
Well BTBAM is sometimes considered metalcore but their last two albums are more progressive/interesting than stuff like Dream Theater.
Anything with Core in it's name isn't considered metal, and therefore has no place in this area of the forums.
^True...
The rules say that the fact that metalcore is so popular it was shunted to the (less viewed) Hardcore forum, not that it wasn't metal.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Kyose
in most cases i'd agree

such as Unearth. Great band.
The same could be said of any genera. There are good bands that make good original songs and crappy bands that play the same rehashed stuff over and over again. -core bands just get extra flack because many are hybrid between metal and non-metal styles with some popularity which for some odd reason makes elitist metal heads get defensive. But the fact of the matter is that there are just as many bands that do the same thing in metal and all other genera.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by kevinbeingkevin
Does anyone else think that the music from the -core genres is just the same ideas and riffs and shit..?

Does anyone else think that you don't know what you're talking about?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I don't think TS knows what he's talking about. There are plenty of original metalcore bands if you actually listen to it. So explain to me why metal is so original and has so many new ideas.
Explain how every trash band that started after the mid 80's isn't using the same formula that Metallica and Megadeth made popular better yet eplain how Megadeth isn't using the same formula that Metallica made popular. IMO every groove band I've ever heard sounded like Pantera except Machine Head. See this is me talking about something I'm not to familar with and I probably sound like an ass now you know what you sound like. Metal uses the same ideas riffs over and over again to the only bands that are doing something new are progressive bands. If your considered trash you obviously have similarities to other trash bands or you would not be trash.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Last edited by NY_FootBall49 at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by NY_FootBall49
I don't think TS knows what he's talking about. There are plenty of original metalcore bands if you actually listen to it. So explain to me why metal is so original and has so many new ideas.
Explain how every trash band that started after the mid 80's isn't using the same formula that Metallica and Megadeth made popular better yet eplain how Megadeth isn't using the same formula that Metallica made popular. IMO every groove band I've ever heard sounded like Pantera except Machine Head. See this is me talking about something I'm not to familar with and I probably sound like an ass now you know what you sound like. Metal uses the same ideas riffs over and over again to the only bands that are doing something new are progressive bands. If your considered trash you obviously have similarities to other trash bands or you would not be trash.

This. No offence but it's pretty stupid saying that all -core sounds the same, the same could be said about any other genre.

And please stop trying to hate on metalcore, it IS a subgenre of metal whether you like it or not.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by KreatorRage
Anything with Core in it's name isn't considered metal, and therefore has no place in this area of the forums.

Grindcore and Deathcore are allowed to be discussed here.

EDIT: Btw the Hardcore forum says that Metalcore isn't hardcore either. It's as if people are playing hot-potato with genres.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
Saying any genre "all sounds the same" is stupid on a million different levels.

Now shut up talking about -core and go listen to the music you like.
im not a big fan of -core bands but im disagreeing.
not all core bands are the same but they follow the samme styles of playing which may make them sound similar to other bands like, for all you geniuses thats called a GENRE. p.s.should be in core forum.
Converge is metalcore and their really original and great. Yes most of the mainstream core music is lame,just like with any other genre. Most people want something safe sounding, that doesn't push to many boundaries or is just really easy to digest, this is why these bands get so popular. It is not limited to core, ts just needs to explore the genre more.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by ride-the-spiral
Grindcore and Deathcore are allowed to be discussed here.

EDIT: Btw the Hardcore forum says that Metalcore isn't hardcore either. It's as if people are playing hot-potato with genres.

metalcore isn't hardcore, just like it isn't metal, metalcore = metalcore. That's why it has it's own name. it is DERIVED from both hardcore and metal.
Quote by NY_FootBall49

Runs with the ball, passes through the defenders, shoots and misses.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by technicolour
metalcore isn't hardcore, just like it isn't metal, metalcore = metalcore. That's why it has it's own name. it is DERIVED from both hardcore and metal.

I'd be more on the Metalcore is metal argument. It doesn't sound like a genre in it's right anyway IMO. But I just find it a bit ridiculous how much it's ragged on. Just look at the amount of people that will argue that BTBAM are not metalcore, because it can't be metalcore if they like it. They would rather say it's not metalcore than admit to liking a core band.
So we push forward

Last.fm
technicolour is correct. Though i would say most modern"hardcore" is'nt hardcore. It's more similar to emo/scene music. And i feel thats were allot(but not all) of core bands are coming out of,Scene kids starting to play their variation of metal and hardcore.Theirs definately a certain loss of the traditional metal vibe in the majority of it.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast
technicolour is correct. Though i would say most modern"hardcore" is'nt hardcore. It's more similar to emo/scene music. And i feel thats were allot(but not all) of core bands are coming out of,Scene kids starting to play their variation of metal and hardcore.Theirs definately a certain loss of the traditional metal vibe in the majority of it.

I find there's a loss of "traditional metal vibe" in quite alot of metal tbh. And i wouldn't say that most modern hardcore is more similiar to scene/emo music either. I don't really hear similarities between alot of hardcore and what is essentially Power Pop and Pop Punk.
So we push forward

Last.fm
I dunno, it just sounds like the metalized version of screamo to me for the most part. Just the whole atmosphere,production styles,way the songs are put together and all that sounds really detached to the metal scene.I look at two different kinds of modern hardcore,one is just a more extreme version of what bands like Discharge did in the 80's and Integrity,His Hero Is Gone ect in the 90's. Then you have all these "hardcore" bands that sound closer to underoath or pantera and other more mainstream bands. The latter seems to be where most metalcore grew from, rather then the traditional hardcore sound. Same thing with metal.Bands like Converge or Botch would be bands that would go against this generalization though.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by TJM2482
Well BTBAM is sometimes considered metalcore but their last two albums are more progressive/interesting than stuff like Dream Theater.

Having a severe case of Riff ADD does not make them "more progressive."

And as far as metalcore goes, listen to Burst or I will find you. And you don't want that.
Quote by Scourge441
Having a severe case of Riff ADD does not make them "more progressive."

And as far as metalcore goes, listen to Burst or I will find you. And you don't want that.

The Swedish one? They are rather interesting
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by ride-the-spiral
I'd be more on the Metalcore is metal argument. It doesn't sound like a genre in it's right anyway IMO. But I just find it a bit ridiculous how much it's ragged on. Just look at the amount of people that will argue that BTBAM are not metalcore, because it can't be metalcore if they like it. They would rather say it's not metalcore than admit to liking a core band.

I'd say that metalcore takes a heavier influence from metal than hardcore, depending on the band..for exmplae:

All that remains, Unearth - a higher metal influence
Converge, Integrity - a higher hardcore influence

So it varies. Most "modern metalcore" the kind most people associate with metalcore is more metal influenced.

I wouldn't say modern hardcore is scene at all, that's just confusing hardcore and metalcore. Modern hardcore, in terms of bands like Modern life is war, Eating glass, the Carrier, Verse, etc. still maintains most of it's key sounds with a few "progressive" elements taking it away from 80s hardcore punk.