Yesterday I just traded for an Epiphone SG Special, and it's great but the way it's set up right now it creates way too much feedback, particularly when I play any kind of chord. To fix, i'm guessing i'll need to set up the action, but I have no idea how to do that. I assume that involved adjusting the bridge...how do you do that? And once I figure out how to adjust it, how do I know what to adjust it to? Thanks.
if the problem is feedback then lower the pickups as suggested above. then stand further from the amp.

If you are getting fret buzz (strings rattling off the fret wires) then you want to change the action.
to do this first release some tension on the strings, its easier if they are a little slack, then take a flathead screwdriver and turn the screws on either side of the bridge piece with the saddles on. retune and stretch the strings. play about and see it the fret buzz has gone.
If its still there no matter how high you put the bridge then you will need to raise your top nut which is also easily done (a little bit of card cut to size placed under the nut)

hope this helps. if not buy a book on guitar maintanence and learn on your (and your friends' :P) guitars
Quote by Armoire
There's a sticky
+1

"sticky" - as mentioned

I'm sure they'll help you out as well.

Raising and lowering the action will not decrease or increase the amount of feedback you are hearing. That is to do with your pick-ups and amplifier.

+1 to this

Quote by SuperStrater
if the problem is feedback then lower the pickups as suggested above. then stand further from the amp.

If you are getting fret buzz (strings rattling off the fret wires) then you want to change the action.
to do this first release some tension on the strings, its easier if they are a little slack, then take a flathead screwdriver and turn the screws on either side of the bridge piece with the saddles on. retune and stretch the strings. play about and see it the fret buzz has gone.
If its still there no matter how high you put the bridge then you will need to raise your top nut which is also easily done (a little bit of card cut to size placed under the nut)

hope this helps. if not buy a book on guitar maintanence and learn on your (and your friends' :P) guitars
Your intonation may be out as well, possibly due to your neck being slightly warped. Check that thread I linked you to and find out how you can adjust your truss rod (the steal bar that keeps your neck straight) so that your action is perfect - to be done alongside raising/lowering the bridge and other methods.