I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and the serial number is MR01070680

I cannot find any information anywhere about the 'MR' prefix, I googled the shit out of it and came up with basically nothing. I'm pretty sure the guitar isn't a fake - but I did buy it second hand.

I ran the numbers through the online serial number decoder and it didn't recognize it either. Hopefully someone here has come across this before.

The pickups have the epiphone brand punched into the back of them, and I'm not sure why anyone would want to fake an epiphone to begin with..
Quote by think11270
I'm not sure why anyone would want to fake an epiphone to begin with..

This... Ever seen a counterfeit nickle?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yeah, it's like one step below counterfeiting pennies :/

Should I just scratch out the M then? haha
Last edited by think11270 at Nov 6, 2009,
Post pics.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by think11270
I'm not sure why anyone would want to fake an epiphone to begin with..

Because the general attitude is "no one would fake an Epi, it must be real." Therefore they can get away with fakes easier than higher end guitars. People are more likely to check if their £1500 Fender or Gibson is real than their £400 Epiphone.

Pictures would be helpful
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
Because the general attitude is "no one would fake an Epi, it must be real."

People are more likely to check if their £1500 Fender or Gibson is real than their £400 Epiphone.

Pictures would be helpful

Ya, but the point is getting the extra value of the name... Which Epiphone doesn't have. It would cost about the price of an Epiphone Les Paul to fake an Epiphone Les Paul... So I guess the counterfeiter is just in it 'for the love of the game.'

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
It would cost about the price of an Epiphone Les Paul to fake an Epiphone Les Paul

That's assuming that the fake is of the same quality as the real one, which they seldom are. Cheap wood, parts and labour (and I mean serious cheap stuff, plywood etc.) then slap an Epi logo on the headstock and a guitar that cost very little to make can be sold to an unsuspecting buyer for a big profit.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
That's assuming that the fake is of the same quality as the real one, which they seldom are. Cheap wood, parts and labour (and I mean serious cheap stuff, plywood etc.) then slap an Epi logo on the headstock and a guitar that cost very little to make can be sold to an unsuspecting buyer for a big profit.

Still not worth it, but OK...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yeah I put the DiMarzio and Kahler trem on, I suppose I'll just have to send Epiphone an email. Thanks for your help everyone.
Quote by willT08
Question. How does it play/sound?

+1

This is all that matters.

Also, it would've been easier for you to put a Stetsbar on it than a Kahler, but I guess it's too late now.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
It sounds really good actually, the problem is that I'm looking to sell it and received and inquiry on the on the serial number. This is just out of curiosity, I really wanna know what the MR means so I can have some peace of mind knowing whether it's real or not.
Oh, no the previous owner had it installed.

I wouldn't do anything like that.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
never heard of a MR serial # and the tuners arent grover either, prob fake
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
I dunno but it doesn't look right to me. I have an Epi LP custom and your headstock seems off, not to mention the "Gibson" writing on the plate above the nut..

definitely not the norm but who cares if it's a good guitar then that's all that matters
Quote by tubetime86
This... Ever seen a counterfeit nickle?

Why do people dislike THIS much epiphones?

The wood they use is good, just doesnt have the quality control that u find in a gibson. If u get a decent epiphone (specially the paint) and You change the electronics and bridge u get an amazing guitar, much cheaper than what u pay for a gibson. (still wont be a gibson but sound it's all that matters). Sorry for the off topic anyway.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I dunno but it doesn't look right to me. I have an Epi LP custom and your headstock seems off, not to mention the "Gibson" writing on the plate above the nut..

definitely not the norm but who cares if it's a good guitar then that's all that matters

No, that's not an indicator of anything. Yours just has the non-open book headstock. And many Epis have Gibson on their truss rod cover.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, that's not an indicator of anything. Yours just has the non-open book headstock. And many Epis have Gibson on their truss rod cover.

+1

The "GIBSON" was on all Epiphone truss rod covers pre-2004.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??